Dolphins - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dolphins Reviews

November 12, 2014
W.T.F. a rated R movie for kids in IMAX?! kids will get ####ed off by the R stuff!
April 6, 2014
This is a disgusting film. It shows orcas in captivity--is that really want we want to do with these magnificent animals? One of them is likely Tilikum, with two trainer deaths to his credit--what an insult to their families. Free the dolphins!
½ October 23, 2012
Nice, colorful adventurous nature documentary about dolphins. Its very well done and has nice music, its very informative and relaxing, atmospheric film, but unfortunately its also a bit too short. With a bit more information and content it might have been much better. Even so, its worth watching if one is even a bit interested in the oceans, and maybe even if one isn't. Originally filmed for IMAX theaters, this short feature is narrated by Pierce Brosnan and soundtrack by Sting. The dolphins and the scientists are the main characters. As I wrote, its nice but would need a bit more content to make this more interesting..
½ June 2, 2011
Prior to viewing this entertaining documentary, I was never aware of how incredibly talented dolphins are.
March 30, 2011
I've always heard and read that dolphins are smart. This documentary makes the compelling assertion that a dolphins intellect surpasses that of even dogs and chimps. That noted, even dolphins have a violent side in certain circumstances. This realistic documentary doesn't hold back information like that which is not so storybook like. The only thing keeping me from rating this as a five-star selection is an assertion by one of the scientists that dolphins survival is largely predicated on human's willingness and ability to study them. Sorry. That gives humans too much credit and smacks of self-interest. Dolphins have survived many, many years without a hand from man and I suspect will continue to do so.
May 10, 2010
You know, when the cover of a movie brags about the songs by Sting included, one rather assumes he, you know, wrote something new. And I suppose, if he did the arrangements, that might count. Maybe. However, I kind of don't think it does. Don't get me wrong--I [i]like[/i] "Englishman in New York." I just don't see what it has to do with dolphins. I mean, Sting's got kids--one would think he'd be looking forward to the opportunity to do kid-friendly songs, and what's more kid-friendly than dolphins? But no--"When We Dance." Which, again, I like. But still.

It's very intelligent of IMAX to give us Pierce Brosnan as a narrator again. I would listen to that man say just about anything. He has such a lovely, soothing voice. And here, we've got dolphins--this means more watching light on water and things swimming and whatnot. Lovely. I'll admit to caring less about the actual, you know, dolphin researchers interviewed than I do about the pretty pictures. This may well be because dolphins are not a primary focus of study for me. I did a report on them in fourth grade, but fourth grade was a long time ago.

We do learn a fair amount about dolphins here, I'll admit, even when we're, um, not paying the closest attention to the movie. We learn some about dolphin language. We learn about the emotional connections that dolphins form. We see a dolphin birth. And we learn not to mess with them, because they're actually pretty fierce, for all they're cute. Yes, sure, a researcher was protected from a hammerhead shark by a dolphin. However, there are two factors at work there--one, dolphins are pretty ferocious toward sharks just in general; we learned on [i]MythBusters[/i] a while back that sharks actively avoid dolphins. The other is that it's a human that the dolphin had developed a relationship with; before that development, the dolphin actually attacked humans on a pretty regular basis.

The fine people at IMAX bring us some pretty interesting stuff. I suspect, since it's mostly educational, quite a lot of it will be in the library catalog. This means that the two we've done thus far will hardly be the last of the IMAX documentaries. I'm sure there'll be one on the Grand Canyon when we get to "G." Or something. The Grand Canyon. I'm pretty sure there's a good one about volcanos. All kinds of things. And I'm looking forward to it, because IMAX is half about the learning and half about the amazing photography.

However, there's really not much to say, here. I think this would be an excellent film to show small children if you're looking for an educational film, but that's pretty much what I have left to say. It's lovely; kids will probably like it. Not much of a review, I know.
January 25, 2010
Like most of the documentaries made for IMAX around this time, it focuses on visuals more than anything else. As a result, you end up with beautiful shots of dolphins, but not much else.
September 20, 2009
gets five stars just because the soundtrack of Sting's songs is amazing. it is also a great tale of a man and his dolphin friend. loved it!
½ April 13, 2009
well since out imax is n a musemu we dont always get the cool movies but this was ver ed
January 12, 2009
I definitely want to and will watch it. Dolphins are exceptional creatures, able to communicate with us, humans.
September 14, 2008
oh this would be cool to see even though it's a documentary, because I love dolphins!! :)
June 8, 2008
"skillful filmmaking.. Older children might feel as though they've seen this all before"
May 23, 2008
This will make almost anyone want to be a marine biologist. I'm sure there is a downside to living on a tropical paradise...
March 21, 2008
I did not really like this movie.
½ March 5, 2008
October 25, 2007
I went early to IMAX and was able to actually watch this one just for the heck of it. Was pretty interesting for the most part. Too many ugly people.
October 2, 2007
Good/Not bad!!! I love dolphins they are my favorite animal!!!
½ July 11, 2007
My FAVOURITE IMAX of all time!! Absolutely loved this one!
June 5, 2007
It was cool to see how close people and dolphins could be