The Domino Principle Reviews

• Dec 30, 2019

Certainly not one of the better Hackman movies or performances. A very plodding movie that does not take the time to answer some of the many plot holes. Candice Bergen puts in a lack luster performance that does not generate the kind of relationship with Hackman that the movie requires. Poor directing concentrates more on the scenery and less on the story.

• Mar 02, 2018

pretty lame movie by hackman standards, it was enjoyable enough though

pretty lame movie by hackman standards, it was enjoyable enough though

• Jan 19, 2014

This was on a recently purchased Blu-Ray with The Cassandra Crossing. Watching both films made for an interesting experience. This film is trying to combine Seconds with the Parallax View but doesn't quite reach the level of paranoia that those two thrillers achieved. In fact, Gene Hackman faced a more sinister and realistic conspiracy in The Conversation. Hackman is in prison for murder when he is approached by Richard Widmark (sinister as always). Before you know it, Hackman is busted out of prison and given a new identity, a full bank account, and a house in Costa Rica. He is even reunited with his wife (Candice Bergen trying a West Virginia accent). There is a catch, however and Hackman is expected to take part in an assassination on behalf of his sinister benefactors, known only as "they." With Mickey Rooney as Hackman's cellmate, Eli Wallach as a sinister ex-Marine general, and even Star Trek's Majel Barrett as one of "their" employees. Like I said, there are better examples of post-Watergate paranoid political thrillers to be seen, but this one was enjoyable and fun.

• Sep 03, 2013

Un bon thriller américain typique des seventies.

Un bon thriller américain typique des seventies.

• Oct 28, 2012

Apparently I am the only person to have seen this movie. Don't knock the first domino unless you want the others to fall = everyone dies. 2009 Movies: 58

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Sep 12, 2012

Late 70's conspiracy theorists unite as convict Hackman gets recruited to do a bit of dirty work for a clandestine organization with seemingly unlimited resources and funding. Not a bad vehicle to entertain but the execution leaves a lot to be desired, namely coherency. The actors do their part but the scenario is specious to say the least.

• Aug 27, 2012

only until the last 30 minutes did i really get interested....

only until the last 30 minutes did i really get interested....

• Jun 13, 2011

Monday, June 13, 2011 (1977) The Domino Principle THRILLER/ DRAMA After the success of "The Day of The Jackyl" made in 1973, and several films like 'The President's Analyst", "Three Days of the Condor" in 1967 and the Anerson Tapes in 1971, many other paranoid films involving powerful organisations with the gov't (especially during the Nixon era) evolved except that after seeing so many, it tends to become repitive! This one involves Gene Hackman, an army veteran and locked up in prison because of some love triangle involving the other person being dead, gets himself mixed up with a powerful organisation connected to the gov't who can get him out of prison for the purpose of assassination some foreign dignatory is when the expected happens! I don't mind the set up but very uninteresting and contains nothing I hadn't seen before already! 2 out of 4

• Oct 05, 2010

Mi sono messo in testa di vedere tutti i film che mi mancano con Gene Hackman; ora ho capito perché questo non lo avevo ancora visto. Filone complottistico anni 70 ma "I tre giorni del Condor" é un'altra cosa.

• Jun 23, 2010

Watching older movies reminds me how everything is such in a rush these days. This movie spent an hour and fifteen minutes developing the character for the audience to come along for the ride. The last half hour is the only significant action sequence that tests what we know about the character. Now, the trend is to get all that information in half an hour and in some movies, it's conveyed in the opening credits. I get why story telling evolved to what it is now. Those talkies can get boring without plot moving it. Unfortunately, there are many movies that have meaningless plot because characters are underdeveloped. This movie, unfortunately, was all about character development with only one big plot point that challenges the character. It simply isn't enough. The upside - seeing Candice Bergen in her golden days. I almost didn't recognize her.