Reviews

• Feb 11, 2015

This beautiful film was very interesting to watch for many reasons. first of all it's a unique insight in the Taiwanese world which I was completely foreign with. Second of all it's a film that plays on small details and emotions, telling a coming of age story between two siblings, each finding new territories to explore during the summer they spent at their grandparent's home. The little girl is a riot and she is incredibly stubborn and charismatic for her age. The film is very well shot and manages to play both on visual and symbolic tones. H.H. Hou is a master director and this film shows how much possibilities the Asian cinema holds. Far from the grand scale of our western films, this little gem is all about details and time passing.... we are only the witness of a story played by two kids growing and discovering a world beyond their own. Beautiful.

• Dec 17, 2011

that uncle was a damn fool!

that uncle was a damn fool!

• Jun 09, 2011

(****): [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon14.gif[/img] Yet another great film from Hsiao-Hsien Hou.

• Jun 09, 2011

[center][font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=black][img]http://bp3.blogger.com/_3mCOm4wxK3M/SBjBBw4yYQI/AAAAAAAAAWo/ejgw5KrT0u0/s400/hou.jpg[/img][/color][/size][/font][/center] [font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=black][/color][/size][/font] [font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=white]Summary: With their mother in the hospital, a pre-teen boy and his little sister go to spend the summer at their grandpa's. The boy spends his time with new friends while the girl becomes acquainted with a mentally disabled woman in the village. The children's uncle also has problems staying on grandpa's good side.[/color][/size][/font] [font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#000000][/color][/size][/font] [center][img]http://www.safariunderground.net/movie/movie_chi/a-summer-at-grandpas/a-summer-at-grandpas.jpg[/img][/center] [font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=#000000][/color][/size][/font] [font=Times New Roman][size=4][color=white]Yeah, I think I like Hou's older stuff a little better than his new stuff. A Summer at Grandpa's is just one of those movies that I like mostly because of its atmosphere - mostly the first half. It really reminded me of the times when I visited my grandpa's here in the midwest of the USA. Talk about creating art that transcends culture! Anyway, the film becomes a little weaker when sub-plot after sub-plot start appearing, but oddly enough, it never become overwhelming. Also, the cinematography isn't as strong, but that may be because Hou wasn't yet working with Pin Bing Lee. Luckily, there's a lot of unforced tenderness here, very much like in Dust in the Wind. It's quite the quality coming-of-age-ish film.[/color][/size][/font]

• May 18, 2010

或許不是侯導最好的作品,但在那個年代忠實反映出純樸的鄉村受到整個島嶼走向資本主義社會的影響,使原本人與人之間的緊密關係,逐漸走向崩解。暑假在爺爺家的種種經歷,也許在冬冬眼中似懂非懂,卻無法迴避。成人世界的複雜對比於夢幻般的圓滿結局,使全片充滿著對農村與往日的鄉愁,也自然流露對未來的惶惑之情。

• May 10, 2010

Not as good as its predecessor 'All the youthful days', but still an enjoyable film from the great Hou Hsiao Hsien. This one feels more like a Japanese art film than any other work by this Taiwanese director. Half comedy/half melodrama, the films tells a story of a family going to the countryside in the anticipation of operation that can either kill or save their ill mother. Personally, I like Hou's later, more sinister stuff more.

• Jan 22, 2010

I've been getting a bit tired of coming-of-age films, and not especially thrilled with Hou to begin with, but I liked this anyway. It's more accessible than A Time to Live, and I don't mean "accessible" in a snobby way. I mean it didn't put me to sleep. if you want to go looking for metaphors, you can find plenty, but I think it's meant to be exactly what it is: a simple, honest, genuine snapshot of childhood, and family life through the eyes of children. Quite nice.

• Nov 12, 2009

Screenwriter Chu Tien-wen's childhood memories turns into a light coming of age-story under Hou Hsiao-hsien's sure direction. A Summer at Grandpa's is often tendentiously cute and on the verge of sentimental at times, but by stressing the child's point of view to the extreme, making the adult world seem aptly incomprehensible and aloof, Hou manages to get away with it.

• Dec 06, 2007

Pretty bland in terms of style as the shots are very short compared to Hou's other films, although his signature framing and camera placement is already evident here. It's a coming of age story that deals with adult themes and is never sentimental. The film manages to show the confusions of life at such a young age as the child protagonists are exposed to the adult world. Overall a pretty good film for Hou beginners.