Donkey Skin (Peau d'âne) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Donkey Skin (Peau d'âne) Reviews

½ September 21, 2016
A beautiful and stunning work, from both the acting primes of Catherine Deneuve, Jean Marais and Delphine Seyrig, and the directorial prime of Jacques Demy. One of the most exquisite and memorable transfers of a children's fable to the big screen.
½ September 21, 2016
April 23, 2016
Catherine Deneuve was the princess, Jacques Perrin was the prince, in this French-made fairy tale directed by Jacques Demy.
½ December 23, 2015
I'm still in awe of Jaques Demy's talent with color and music in this odd little fairy tale that kind of mixes together "Cinderella" and "The Princess and the Frog". Of course, the ridiculous fairy godmother was a hoot, the songs were catchy, and the special effects were great. Overall, just a fun film in general.
½ July 28, 2015
I tried so hard. I felt it important to put forward the effort from both a personal and a creative assignment.

This film is beloved in France. This is all the more interesting because the idea of traditional musical has always been a hard sell to French culture. This is based on an old French fairy tale. And, really, there is nothing conventional about Jacques Demy's 1971 movie.

It is kind of comical that this is children's story about a kingdom dependent upon a donkey's ability to defecate crown jewels and a beautiful princess who may be forced to marry The King, her own father. Yes. Incest. All of this is delivered in sincerity. No hint of irony.

It might sound "compelling" but it isn't. It is painfully steeped in late 1960's style. Legrand's score is lack luster. It is far too long.

I'm sorry. I just don't get it.

And I resent the fact that I "own" a copy of this blu-ray in the Criterion Box Set. I had no choice.

For me, "Donkey Skin" is cinematic torture. Wait. Think about that. Catherine Deneuve is stuck in the literal costume of an actual skin and head of a dead donkey. And incest. Is this really appropriate?

I guess over 60 million people can't be wrong. And check out the ratings here on RT. I don't know. Maybe it's me.
½ June 13, 2015
Visually stunning and trippy, but kind of Fellini-esque.
½ May 21, 2015
it's like "the princess bride" on LSD.
½ December 8, 2014
A delightfully bizarre fairy tale told by the fantastical Jaques Demy. Catherine Deneuve is a charming as ever, even when dressed in a donkey skin. This princess is much more interesting than anyone Disney has ever dreamed up. The music isn't half bad either. Quirky and unconventional definatly essential viewing in Demy's oeuvre.
July 25, 2014
A colourful, odd film with an ending that left me scratching my head. The sweet songs and imagery lend a definite Disney-like feel. This is Enchanted with a much stranger premise and a less cohesive narrative.
½ March 9, 2014
A brilliantly over-the-top fairytale musical. The overall design of the film is bonkers genius in a Willy Wonka kind of way and the story, by the author of Cinderella, is very amusing. The prince's pantaloons are just that bit TOO tight for my liking however.
January 6, 2014
Dear God, do I love it...
December 27, 2013
This is a fairy tale written by Charles Perrault who also did "Cinderella" and I was wondering why I haven't heard much about this one. Oh, and then I find out there's attempted incest in this one. That aside, this is a beautifully mounted musical-fantasy. The costumes and the production design are eye-popping. Those combined with sharp, almost dream-like cinematography creates something that's like literally straight out of a picture storybook and gives it a surrealism and beauty that's surpassed only by Jean Cocteau. Jacques Demy definitely had Cocteau in mind since Jean Marais (who played the Beast in Cocteau's "Beauty and the Beast") plays the King.
½ November 15, 2013
Despite a tabooed theme, the Demy-Deneuve collaboration turned this fair tale into a colourful and jolly musical. The beauty of Deneuve and the adorable donkey, however, make me unaware of the plight she once experienced.
August 1, 2012
A weirdly charming fairy tale that percolates the opposites of human nature - the ancient and the futuristic, gullibility and maliciousness, the surreal and the tangible.
½ November 13, 2011
I first saw this movie when I was about 8 years old, and I recall being immediately captivated by Demy's catchy musical score (as I am by all of his other soundtracks). I loved the way the fairy tale was given a new edge, yet stayed simple throughout. With that said, mature audience probably wouldn't give this movie a second look. However, the eyes of a young child might be incredibly captivated by it.
August 17, 2011
Watched it, found it entirely enchanting, put the DVD in the mailbox and then napped for 5 hours. It is, at the same time, simple fun and entirely poignant. The interviews in the DVD extra are just....joyously odd.
April 25, 2011
Jacques Demys buntester Film ist gleichzeitig sein dunkelster. In grellsten Farben zeichnet Demy eine Märchenwelt von beeindruckend verstörender Derangiertheit und legt so, aller Stilisierung zum Trotz fast ein cinà (C)ma dà (C)senchantà (C)e, die Abgrà 1/4ndigkeit unter dem Märchenhaften frei.
December 27, 2010
Such a charming and grotueske Fairy Tale Catherine Deneuve is so beautiful and the Requisites, the Scenery and the Music is bewichting
December 11, 2010
Way dreamy, and it even has a song about finger trauma and a song about why incest is bad.