Donkey Skin (Peau d'âne) Reviews

• Sep 21, 2016

A beautiful and stunning work, from both the acting primes of Catherine Deneuve, Jean Marais and Delphine Seyrig, and the directorial prime of Jacques Demy. One of the most exquisite and memorable transfers of a children's fable to the big screen.

• Apr 23, 2016

Catherine Deneuve was the princess, Jacques Perrin was the prince, in this French-made fairy tale directed by Jacques Demy.

• Dec 23, 2015

I'm still in awe of Jaques Demy's talent with color and music in this odd little fairy tale that kind of mixes together "Cinderella" and "The Princess and the Frog". Of course, the ridiculous fairy godmother was a hoot, the songs were catchy, and the special effects were great. Overall, just a fun film in general.

• Jul 28, 2015

I tried so hard. I felt it important to put forward the effort from both a personal and a creative assignment. This film is beloved in France. This is all the more interesting because the idea of traditional musical has always been a hard sell to French culture. This is based on an old French fairy tale. And, really, there is nothing conventional about Jacques Demy's 1971 movie. It is kind of comical that this is children's story about a kingdom dependent upon a donkey's ability to defecate crown jewels and a beautiful princess who may be forced to marry The King, her own father. Yes. Incest. All of this is delivered in sincerity. No hint of irony. It might sound "compelling" but it isn't. It is painfully steeped in late 1960's style. Legrand's score is lack luster. It is far too long. I'm sorry. I just don't get it. And I resent the fact that I "own" a copy of this blu-ray in the Criterion Box Set. I had no choice. For me, "Donkey Skin" is cinematic torture. Wait. Think about that. Catherine Deneuve is stuck in the literal costume of an actual skin and head of a dead donkey. And incest. Is this really appropriate? I guess over 60 million people can't be wrong. And check out the ratings here on RT. I don't know. Maybe it's me.

• Jun 13, 2015

Visually stunning and trippy, but kind of Fellini-esque.

Visually stunning and trippy, but kind of Fellini-esque.

• May 20, 2015

it's like "the princess bride" on LSD.

it's like "the princess bride" on LSD.

• Dec 08, 2014

A delightfully bizarre fairy tale told by the fantastical Jaques Demy. Catherine Deneuve is a charming as ever, even when dressed in a donkey skin. This princess is much more interesting than anyone Disney has ever dreamed up. The music isn't half bad either. Quirky and unconventional definatly essential viewing in Demy's oeuvre.

• Jul 25, 2014

A colourful, odd film with an ending that left me scratching my head. The sweet songs and imagery lend a definite Disney-like feel. This is Enchanted with a much stranger premise and a less cohesive narrative.

• Jun 15, 2014

• Mar 09, 2014

A brilliantly over-the-top fairytale musical. The overall design of the film is bonkers genius in a Willy Wonka kind of way and the story, by the author of Cinderella, is very amusing. The prince's pantaloons are just that bit TOO tight for my liking however.