Donovan's Reef - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Donovan's Reef Reviews

December 7, 2010
DONOVAN'S REEF (1963)
½ November 24, 2010
watching right now (again)
November 19, 2010
lee marvin was too funny........they we a good team
½ September 29, 2010
This movie is just fun. There are plenty of drunken brawls between the two leads also. While John Wayne is getting a bit long in the tooth, He still can play a tough guy. Then there is Lee Marvin who you can tell has had a lot of practice playing the town drunk. It's a good dramedy I was able to watch with the kids.
March 27, 2010
The Duke was so fun in tis movie:)
March 13, 2010
3: There is no mistaking a John Ford/John Wayne picture. This is by no means their best, but it works just the same. Many of the other character actors we've come to expect in Ford pictures are present, as is the gruff machoism, tinged with something more. The location shots are wonderful, but I've long since come to expect this is Ford pictures. Wayne's femal counterpart is definitely up to the challenge, but she can't quite give and take like Maureen O'Hara can. The story is a trifle beside the point here. It seems to be much more about character development and exploring a unique location and culture. The portrayal of the native population is interesting, if at times it seems a bit dated.
cosmo313
January 3, 2010
The writing is a little sloppy, and overall things are silly and everything is meant to be light entertainment-but I rather enjoyed this. It was funny, even if things seem very dated and silly, but still, a good laugh or two or three never hurt anyone-especially when the intentions are good. It is weird (but cool) seeing Lee Marvin as comic relief though.
November 24, 2009
While remembered most for Westerns, followed by war movies, many don't realize the Duke had a nack for comedy. "Donovan's Reef" is very funny. It's one of the only times I've seen Lee Marvin cast as the comic relief.
November 23, 2009
One of my fav Christmas movies that I watch anytime of the year.

Christmas in Hawaii with The Duke... One of my fav Christmas movies that I watch anytime of the year.
November 18, 2009
John Wayne does comedy.
July 25, 2009
Saw it before and really love his movies
April 30, 2009
John Wayne + John Ford in the South Pacific is like a nice vacation... Lee Marvin in his most easy going, likeable role... Several gags & jokes keep the pace moving well

A bit of a stuffy plot requiring too much exposition for this genre, yet it works out in the end
April 5, 2009
A little different for JW but still done in a style that only the Duke could pull off.
March 26, 2009
One of his better comedies.
March 11, 2009
Outstanding movie John Wayne is my family favorite actor
March 9, 2009
One of my all time Wayne favorites with a great proformance by Lee Marvin.
½ March 5, 2009
this was a fun one to watch
February 12, 2009
My second favorite Holiday movie, behind Christmas Story.
½ February 4, 2009
The last John Ford/ John Wayne film is charming and meandering romantic comedy. It's a bit dated (especially in its unfortunate Asian stereotypes) but it looks lovely and John Wayne and Lee Marvin are a hoot. The film doesn't take itself too seriously which is a good thing.
½ February 1, 2009
Honestly, I just don't like these BROAD 50s early 60s MANLY MAN comedies. Too much John Wayne, not enough Lee Marvin. Really love seeing Jack Warden and Cesar Romero though. A minor film from John Ford. VF.