Don't Open 'Til Christmas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Don't Open 'Til Christmas Reviews

January 30, 2016
An okay Christmas slasher in which no Santa is safe. Jumps on the bandwagon of traumatic memories of seeing a sexual Santa situation as a child, then turning into a killer later. Yes there are a handful of these around this time.
Warning, this movie is very British.
September 2, 2012
Ho ho ho-rrible. Other than one good kill, two decent surprises it sucks the big, fat candy cane. Bad acting, directing, editing, sound editing (it reminded me of the 30's), FX--you name it, it was awful.
½ May 5, 2012
Awful horror film with one good kill scene.
January 17, 2010
A very nihilistic Christmas movie, sleazy with a touch of class. Good gore scenes and a crazy killer make this a must see for the holidays.
½ September 8, 2009
Ahhh....back in the days when British horror films were good. I wish I could've been alive then. But hey that's why DVDs were invented! This film is a very very good example of how good British horror used to be. The film has a great atmosphere and has a great 80s score. I like the performances and think that they are believable in the roles in which they portray. The film has some suspenseful scenes and I loved the film when I first watched it (incidently i first watched only four days after Christmas 2007) and I was rooted to the one spot until it was over. I was pleasantly surprised by the high standard of the film and also by the fact that it seemed to have been made on a relatively small budget. It also has a special significance for me as it is set around my favourite holiday. I must say that my favourite characters are Sharon the model: "You can come on in I'm not getting up." And I also throughly enjoy Experience Girl: "Does my mother know I work here? She ought to she own the place!" I love this film!!!
½ January 13, 2009
Pretty mixed-up christmas horror story with slasher regular Edmund Purdom not only doing his directional debut bur also starring it as a cop detective Harris who chases the killer, who kills santa clauses. Pretty ineptly done, but few murders stand out. Well, it's better then Christmas Evil, but not as Silent Night Deadly Night.
January 11, 2009
Another of my all time faves. Hammy acting, poor direction, stupid plot, great footage of London in the '80s (including a scene in The London Dungeons), Alan Lake, gore, Caroline Munro (as herself, singing)... who could ask for more? Distributed by Dick Randall who also had a hand in the distribution of Friday 13th, Pieces and Slaughter High (which also featured some of the same cast). A top, stupid film. So unintentionally bad - i loved it!
September 29, 2008
I have a high tolerance for crap and horror (and crap horror), but this is pretty dreadful.
½ July 9, 2008
Dull British slash fest from the people who brought us the unearthly charms of Slaughter High and Pieces. Knowing that little factoid will go ahead and split the film's audiance. Since I enjoyed both Slaughter High and Pieces, I figured I might enjoy this, but despite some cheesy moments, gory murders, and a special appearance by the always smokin' hot Caroline Munro, the film doesn't have much to offer. It's pretty tedious and boring actually. If you're in the mood for a Christmas slasher, there's far better ones out there.
½ May 1, 2008
Now this is what I'm talking about! I love an unabashedly terrible slasher film that revels in its own sleaziness and stupidity. From the crappy synth score to the iffy performances, I was eating Don't Open 'Til Christmas up by the shovelful. I'm not even going to begin explaining the plot -- why should the plot even matter when drunk shopping mall Santa Clauses are getting their faces burned off, eyes slashed out, and penises castrated (YES!) all around you?!

I'd never recommend this to anyone who isn't into true bottom-of-the-barrel stuff like myself, but sludge lovers will want their grimy stockings stuffed with this filthy British exploit. Let me put it this way: if you liked Pieces, you'll also dig this film (which kind of makes sense, since some of the people from Pieces worked on this). Sure, Don't Open 'Til Christmas lacks the acting chops of the Georges (that's Christopher and Lynda Day to you), but it's slightly more enjoyable in the sense that it isn't quite as misogynistic as Pieces (i.e., most of the victims in this one are male). Skeezemeister Edmund Purdom (I find him inexplicably unsettling in a creepy uncle sort of way), who was one of the headliners in Pieces, claims this gem as his one and only directing credit.
½ April 9, 2008
A decent British slasher movie that has a different ending from the norm.
March 30, 2008
Pretty bad and boring horror movie.
½ January 24, 2008
In an ideal "Barry Norman" world this film would get 0 stars. But it isn't, it's "Hayd-world". Utter's hoping a genuine, 2-disc DVD becomes available real soon.
January 22, 2008
I like how slow the killer is. And I agree with Paul, the plot would be easier to pick up on if the characters would quit speaking gibberish.
January 20, 2008
This is a pretty funny slasher flick. There are some really cheesy death scenes. I don't really know anything about the plot though. Can't understand them damn brits.
December 14, 2007
A very weak holdiay horror film. And beware, the transfer on the newly released dvd is atrocious.
December 8, 2007
November 30, 2007
We need more Xmas horror films.
½ September 10, 2007
Pretty good British attempt at a grindhouse film, but some parts of the movie are boring.