Don't You Forget About Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Don't You Forget About Me Reviews

August 30, 2017
I just saw the documentary. Although I commend their effort in tracking him (or his home) down, I thought the documentary wasn't well researched. The producers mentioned the documentary took 2.5 years to make but they still had to speak to locals (around his suburb) and ask where his house was. Along with this, they never mentioned Home Alone which was his highest grossing film or Uncle Buck. I don't even recall the producers mentioning Planes, Trains and Automobiles and just seemed to focus their adoration on his teen films. The interviews with some of the actors were good but Molly Ringwald, Macaulay Culkin and Matthew Broderick would have made it much better seeing that they were his muses. Overall, the film was pleasant but nothing great or amazing and it seems to be a waste especially considering that John Hughes ignored their requests. It made all of that footage with the lead-up to meeting him pointless.
September 11, 2014
Excellent documentary on the search for the elusive filmmaker, John Hughes, before his passing in 2009.
February 5, 2014
This John Hughes centered documentary is basically like watching a bunch of people perform a "King Kong" like ritual only, instead of offering a human sacrifice, they buy the guy a pizza.
½ September 23, 2013
Este documental en el que unos jovenes realizadores buscan afanosamente a John Hughes, el director, guionista y productor de cintas para adolescentes en la década de los 80 como "The Breakfast Club", "Sixteen Candles", "Weird Science": "Ferris Buller's Day Off" o "Pretty In Pink" huele a falso y a hipocrita. Se supone que Hughes se recluye a mediados de los 90 y se retira del mundo del cine. Por que razon? Jamas la sabremos, ya que Hughes muere poco despues de realizado este documental. Pero, cual es la razón para obsesionarse con el hombre cuando lo importante es el analisis de su obra? Aqui se critica la obsesion de la gente por la vida privada de los artistas, pero se cae en lo que se critica al obsesionarse por la figura de Hughes y no por sus peliculas, que es lo que realmente importa. Hay muchas imprecisiones, exageraciones y omisiones en "Don't You Forget About Me". Para alguien que no sepa nada sobre este director puede ser informativo, pero para aquellos que vimos y vivimos su irregular obra, este documental no nos dice mucho.
July 11, 2013
80s actors reuniting!!!
½ May 23, 2013
"Don't You Forget About Me" is a genuine try to pay homage to John Hughes and it achieves its best moments when let other filmmakers, actors and young audiences talk about the greatness of his work. Unfortunately, we have this other half with the four documentarists trying to get an interview with extremely recluse Hughes, what end up being a letdown and can even send the wrong message to the viewers about the filmmaker. With just 75 minutes, it's a love letter that barely scratches the surface of Hughes' body of work.
½ April 23, 2013
Surprisingly enjoyable! Acting stilted (obvs) but I like the demon look, a la Emily Rose, as we are in the midst of over "zombie go-slow" exposure. I like quick moving scream-face bloody x2 Ring/Grudge shaky peers! Almost felt like what Whedon's CITW should have been. Bring it.
February 10, 2013
A ruthlessly narcissistic exercise in self masturbation. I have never hated any screen presence more than those who created this film; characters like these are probably why Hughes retired in the first place.
½ February 1, 2013
A must for any John Hughes fans!
December 22, 2012
Independent film makers trek to Chicago to find and talk to legendary teen film maker John Hughes.
½ November 27, 2012
One of the most useless, boring documentaries I have ever seen in my entire life. I literally learned nothing about John Hughes. The whole movie was interviews with current directors and the actors from the Hughes films being like, "Hughes was awesome and could capture teenagers like no other" blah blah. Some clips from his films. If that wasn't bad enough, it was totally self indulgent. The producers were on camera debating nothing for too much of the movie. And their lack of agreement and the condescending manner of the one female producer just added negativity to the movie. Do not see it.
½ November 6, 2012
What begins as a engaging documentary into the influence of John Hughes' 80s teen boom takes a turn for the uncomfortable and never recovers.
October 14, 2012
Great idea, find John Hughes and tell him how much his movies ment and mean to teenagers. When the people making this film were just talking about the Hughes movies they were entertaining, however when they were talking to the camera they came off like they were trying to hard. Enjoyed the clips from Hughes movies and the young kids talking about how their parents shared these movies with them.
July 26, 2012
a really thought ful and thought out piece. with a lot of question that millions of fans want to know but in a sad way never will
May 27, 2012
These filmmakers don't know why people would watch a movie about John Hughes. They think it's enough to make a movie about how they care about something. I don't know these people and I don't care what they think. They could have made a movie about John Hughes with the footage they collected. Instead they decided to make a movie about themselves and that is too bad.
½ May 19, 2012
It's fine enough, I guess, but they don't get anywhere and I have to admit I do not connect with the films of Hughes as much as these people.
April 10, 2012
A excellent love letter to one of the greatest film makers of our time
½ February 12, 2012
It's a nice tribute to the undisputed king of Teen Movies, the man who pretty much made the genre, John Hughes. However it is also about how teen movies since haven't been able to connect with their audience. Everyone has one John Hughes movie they connect to. Mine is either Somekind of Wonderful or Pretty in Pink
½ November 13, 2011
This one seems like a wasted opportunity. Great subject matter in the late director John Hughes, and some interesting interviews, but the lacks a payoff and seems really haphazard at time. For hardcore fans of Hughes only.