Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark Reviews

August 16, 2016
â'Não tenha medo do escuro' à (C) daqueles filmes que atà (C) podem criar, aqui ou ali, algumas sequências tensas (geralmente provocadas pelos gritos apavorados da pequena Bailee Madison), mas no final das contas só realmente atormentam aos menores de 14 anos.
½ July 19, 2016
Rarely has a movie that looked so good been so bad.
March 5, 2016
Some good scenes with parts that will make you jump. Not going to send fear through the most dedicated horror fans though
½ February 22, 2016
For demonous creatures of the night a glimpse and a whisper would suffice for terror. Therein lies the problem for "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark"--you see too much.
December 31, 2015
Good ole scary flick
½ November 11, 2015
This was the worst I've ever watched.
October 16, 2015
aka, parents, they just don't understand. Also, it would've probably had more resonance and emotion if the director (or, hell, producer-writer-presenter del-Toro) gave more to care about with the parents and the kid. But it's a well-constructed haunted-house movie imbued with the unique creature fx that only comes from the guy behind Pan's Labyrinth. Also extra points for a surprising climax that didn't take the route I expected. For design, scares and surface thrills it's a must-see. If only there was something underneath.
October 11, 2015
You know, I have just come to trust Guillermo Del Toro, and while I didn't love this movie, I did find it a decent horror film.
October 9, 2015
brilliant. I cant remember the last time i had this much fun at the movies
September 29, 2015
Despite a few too many cliche horror movie tropes, it's a pretty decent movie. There were a few good scares. The story was interesting. And the setting and special effects were good (which is unsurprising because...Del Toro) It's not the best horror movie, but it's worth it for a horror fan or a Del Toro completist.
½ July 30, 2015
Unworthy of its R- rating, the film lacked in gore and terror and came off as a wacky family feature. Bailee Madison was absolutely horrible in this and should have been nominated for worst actress in 2011. And the working title of the movie... Gremlins 3.
½ July 28, 2015
Worth a watch if you are a horror fan but just was not that great or good really. It wasnt bad however the acting could have been better. It leaves with the feeling that there could have been more to it.
½ July 17, 2015
This is not at all a bad horror movie. I have to admit that the movie didn't seem very interesting at first, but seeing it was written and produced by Guillermo del Toro, I was more interested in seeing it. I'm glad I did. It starts off really creepy and gruesome, but the more you watch, the less you're scared. It is, indeed, very creepy throughout the whole 90 minutes, but as soon as you get a good look on the creatures, you're kind of, not really scared of them anymore. The plot is interesting, though many cliches happen. The atmosphere is great and the movie looks beautiful and stylish! The acting is quite good, even from Bailee Madison. All in all, a good horror movie which could've been better if it avoided some cliches and didn't show the creatures so early. I would recommend this mostly to horror fans.
May 16, 2015
when people in horror movies kill some little demon thing they never take the body to the University to start an investigation.
½ March 7, 2015
Doesn't live up to the original movie.
½ February 19, 2015
Nothing groundbreaking or original here, but Bailee Madison's strong performance makes this worth a look.
½ January 31, 2015
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark has a great gothic atmosphere and amazing performances, but it doesn't really offer much new in the terms of story or scares.
January 26, 2015
Be afraid of this movie.
½ January 6, 2015
Genuinely creepy, nicely made horror movie about some nasty little critters that live in the mysetrious basement of an old, but restored house. The little girl is excellent.
January 5, 2015
run of the mill horror remake filmed at a time where run of the mill horror remakes were rife.
Stick with the original