Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Don't Be Afraid Of The Dark Reviews

½ July 17, 2015
This is not at all a bad horror movie. I have to admit that the movie didn't seem very interesting at first, but seeing it was written and produced by Guillermo del Toro, I was more interested in seeing it. I'm glad I did. It starts off really creepy and gruesome, but the more you watch, the less you're scared. It is, indeed, very creepy throughout the whole 90 minutes, but as soon as you get a good look on the creatures, you're kind of, not really scared of them anymore. The plot is interesting, though many cliches happen. The atmosphere is great and the movie looks beautiful and stylish! The acting is quite good, even from Bailee Madison. All in all, a good horror movie which could've been better if it avoided some cliches and didn't show the creatures so early. I would recommend this mostly to horror fans.
May 16, 2015
when people in horror movies kill some little demon thing they never take the body to the University to start an investigation.
½ March 7, 2015
Doesn't live up to the original movie.
½ February 19, 2015
Nothing groundbreaking or original here, but Bailee Madison's strong performance makes this worth a look.
½ January 31, 2015
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark has a great gothic atmosphere and amazing performances, but it doesn't really offer much new in the terms of story or scares.
January 26, 2015
Be afraid of this movie.
½ January 6, 2015
Genuinely creepy, nicely made horror movie about some nasty little critters that live in the mysetrious basement of an old, but restored house. The little girl is excellent.
January 5, 2015
run of the mill horror remake filmed at a time where run of the mill horror remakes were rife.
Stick with the original
January 3, 2015
really weird. i have to say that the source of danger here is original, but apart from that, not that exciting. worth a look i suppose.
December 30, 2014
As far as scary movies go, Are You Afraid of The Dark isn't scary but a good movie! To me at least
December 29, 2014
best movie ever I wish it was free
December 29, 2014
Dire. Was tense and mildly scary up until you see the creatures but for me all was lost after that. Incredibly disappointing.
½ November 5, 2014
A very spooky and clever movie with some terrifying creatures and memorable scenes that make it another impressive del Toro picture!
November 2, 2014
Looks scary but Katie Holmes, really? High hopes!
October 23, 2014
I thought this movie was quite scary and well played. Although I have to say the role given to the little girl is quite substantial and she did an excellent job! Definitely one to watch for a few good scares,
½ October 19, 2014
Tomorrow I may face a big fear....I was very young when I saw the original version of this movie, and many fears/superstitions I still face today took root from it. I wonder if this version will be scary (or stupid) enough to lose its effect...
October 3, 2014
Funny when it tries to be scary and scary when it tries to be dramatic. Overall a complete bust.
½ September 12, 2014
Not too scary, but fun movie and there is no reason if you like scary tales you should check this one out!
½ September 2, 2014
I've never seen the original film, but from all I've heard about it, this remake was a real dud. The best way I can describe it is that it's like that Christmas present under the tree that catches your eye because it's beautifully wrapped, but once you open it, its a pair of underwear. That beautiful wrapping job is Del Toro's visuals in this case, but the story and movie itself is nothing more than dressed up disappointment.

The acting isn't very good. Not that I was shocked to see Katie Holmes deliver her usual bomb, but the usually great Guy Pearce is just sleepwalking, and Bailee Madison might as well be a cinder-block. What makes their bad performances really noticeably though is a few blatant moments of ridiculous over acting. The actors go from 5 to 100 sporadically and for no reason. The script is thoroughly generic and stiff, and it just feels very forced.

What it really comes down to though is just a dumb idea. Not only is it dumb, but it is boring and uncreative. I expected much more from Del Toro who is usually a huge proponent of outside-the-box creative story telling. Formulaic, slow moving and just not gripping in any way whatsoever. Plot points are introduced and then abandoned with no explanation, it's flush with WTF moments and plot offshoots, and insists that its stupid ideas are worth taking seriously. The creatures are dumb as hell. They are badly rendered and look pretty shoddy.

The tone of the film is another thing that holds it back. Tries to be dark and edgy as it has some seriously violent imagery and scenes, but is so out there and unrealistic that its seriousness and violence make it laughable. In short, its too dumb for adults and too violent for children, making it very hard to figure out who the target audience is.

The largest positive the film has is the visual style that Del Toro has become known for. He certainly has a trademark way of rendering his films. But once the shiny vi near wears off, you're left with an below average product that doesn't deliver.
½ August 31, 2014
ehhh. haven't seen the original. but this wasn't horrible. different. good story. just didn't like the cgi on the creatures cast was ehh ok. so 2.5 out of 5?? is what I'd say