Don't Come Knocking - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Don't Come Knocking Reviews

August 9, 2010
This is not a Friday night movie, this is a Sunday afternoon movie. Perhaps it's slow, perhaps it meanders even. But that's how poetry works.
June 17, 2010
It's kinda sad that I recognized Rairuza Balk from her voice before ever seeing her. The story was a bit strange in that he never bothers to tell his kids that he never knew about them. I think it might have actually helped. For those James Roday fans, he's only in the beginning of the movie and although he has a funny part, it's not worth watching just for him. At times the story seemed to drag on but at least the characters seemed more real than most.
May 31, 2010
Pretty good film.Very plain writing.Good acting though.
½ May 2, 2010
Overly dramatic, pointless and kind of stuped " dont come knocking" could have been better if it dident try so hard to be good.
April 23, 2010
Another brilliant collaboration between Wim Wenders and Sam Shepard
April 14, 2010
This movie sucks. At first it gives an impression it's going to be something spectacular, being so strange and darkly humorous at the same time. And I mean "Tarantino-like strange and funny", to be precise.

But then you suddenly just realize that this ain't getting nowhere. It's just boring and stupid. It feels like the director lost his ball completely and had to get the movie completed as fast as possible, no matter what kind of bullshit it was.

I thought the movie was gonna be great because of the cool poster but actually the poster ended up being the best part of the movie. The movie's supposed to be some kind of anti-cowboy/western, but it's just irritating and boring. Jessica Lange, what's wrong with you?

Don't bother watching this one. It sucks.
½ March 29, 2010
I really tried to stay with this film but I was bored to tears. The story was weak, ridiculous and dull. The acting was over the top at times and I just could not watch this trainwreck anymore.
March 15, 2010
A strange film. It looks absolutely gorgeous and has some powerful scenes. It could easily have been a great film, but somehow went astray. Don't Come Knocking offers us archetypes rather than real characters - the frustrating thing is, given that pretty much everyone involved is extraordinarily talented, while watching it I had a strong sense that these actually WERE real characters. They were just being constrained from revealing themselves by the format and structure of the movie.

Tantalizing but ultimately unsatisfying - sometimes we are left to wonder what might have been...
½ July 18, 2009
Interesting but far too slow.
½ June 27, 2009
Overall a decent indie film in my opinion. Sam Shepard does a decent job as Howard Spence, a washed up western star who goes AWOL from the set of his latest movie and travels back to Butte, MT where he reunites with an old flame and the son, Earl (Gabriel Mann), he left behind years before. Coincidentally, he is also located by Sky (Sarah Polley) who is a long lost daughter searching for her father with an urn containing her mother's ashes in hand.

This movie had incredible potential but was disappointing on a few levels: Gabriel Mann doesn't make Earl much of a sympathetic character, he is more or less a young adult burdened with unresolved adolescent anger toward his absentee, wayward father; the screenplay doesn't offer much character development especially with regard to Earl and Howard; we never learn much about what Howard's demons are and why he decides at this stage in his life that it's time to make amends. There is a scene where Howard is at his mother's house thumbing through a scrapbook containing press clippings detailing the debauchery and decadence that marked the peak of his acting career; however, this does not have nearly the impact that a flashback would've.

Sarah Polley turns in the finest performance of the film. Sarah Polley delivers a heart wrenching dialogue in one of the final scenes. Her non-verbal expressions, tone, and delivery dramatically reveal Sky's underlying emotional strength and her unconditional love for a father she hardly knew.
June 20, 2009
Win Wenders is a great director and probably a legend in the industry of film-making! This piece of work is quite heavy to take on and probably more accessible to the usual arty-indy crowd.
Seriously it's a beautiful film about forgiveness & redemption, the story of a man who at a time in his life has nothing to live for & decides to go back to his roots trying to somehow rebuild himself.
½ June 14, 2009
Considering the incredible talent on display it's a shame this film didn't work out better. Paris, Texas was such a huge favorite of mine, I was so highly anticipating Wenders and Shepard's long-awaited reunion film. Sadly, it didn't pay off. Still, there are some curiously intriguing bits. Mainly thanks to the great cast and Shepard in particular.
½ May 6, 2009
I feel that it had kind of a clunky start which is what keeps this away from 4 stars, but once it got moving, I was hooked. Wim Wenders really has a thing for solemn cowboy stories. I would recommend "Paris, Texas" to anyone who liked this film. I thought most of the music was really good especially the songs that Gabriel Mann sang. Really nice shots of the landscape of the town.
April 20, 2009
A pretty interesting story full of super interesting characters combined with great music and really beautiful shots and visuals and very solid acting...nearly a great movie....had sort of an Americana / languid Lynchian feel...but also a Wenders feel as well....the music and cinematography really got me...just the tone of the movie....
½ April 8, 2009
it could be better....
April 8, 2009
Not his best, but worth a watch.
March 31, 2009
Another wonderful road movie coming from Win Wenders. A touching story about a man who escaped his responsibilities during his lifetime and wants to get back in touch with his son and daughter. Great performances and great music too! The cinematography will make you want to take out your car and visit the desert roads of America.
½ March 25, 2009
It could have been an interesting story but it never really developed all the way... Cast is quite good and some scenes were amazing but overall it came a bit lost
March 24, 2009
It was adecent movie which i would have onl given 3 stars, but it was filmed in my old neighborhood in Butte Montana. It was great seeing the old streets on the screen! Sam Shepard, Tim Roth, Jessica Lange, and Sarah Polley all play good roles, but it fell slightly short! Jessica Lange is smokin hot for her age, and i want her! LOL
½ March 15, 2009
Que linda película una buena fotografía un color maravilloso, un casting de puta madre y una dirección asombrosa, no se pude estar solo para siempre, las familias pueden surgir de la nada y son mucho mas que vínculos de sangre