Don't Look in the Basement Reviews

• Dec 30, 2020

When I first heard of "movies" and "movie theaters" back when i was 4 years old... i never thought i would see a fiilm quite as compelling, quite as epic, quite as influential as this Trojan war of a film. the overflow of pure action in this Rom-Com-ish film was not only good but it made me laugh, cry, smile, and feel a sense of completion before it even began... I never watched it actually but looks pretty cool

• Dec 30, 2020

saw this one with my boyfriend "brad" in 2020. he liked it, probably bc the plethora of scantily clad "woman" and "men" he continued to oggle at for 3 long grueling hours. if you have a partner, and a disastrous resentment filled relationship with said partner, give this movie a pass........................................and brad, if you're seeing this, i love you ;-) as for the movie: I loved it! slow paced, contrived, and perfectly outdated. spice up your christmas holiday season with this one of a kind bird filled movie. ;)

• May 15, 2019

Some kind of classic. Blobbo also approve of good character development.

Some kind of classic. Blobbo also approve of good character development.

• Mar 22, 2019

Lame and lurid. When pretty young Nurse Charlotte joins the staff of a psychiatric hospital, she gets more than she bargained for: axe-wielding lunatics, severed phone lines cutting off contact with the outside world...and a new director (we see the old one brutally murdered in the very first scene) who rules the place with an iron fist and won't let anyone in--or out. Bad writing, bad acting, bad direction. (Lots of sweaty close-ups, though.) The one performance that starts off O.K. ends up as over-the-top as all the rest, and as for the big twist at the end--forget it. For gorehounds only.

• Jun 12, 2018

A Great Film for all you trash lovers out there

A Great Film for all you trash lovers out there

• Jan 18, 2018

Pretty bad schlockfest of a film. The acting is so over the top, but not enough to be campy. The premise and twist are okay and there's a couple hilarious bits in it, but not enough to recommend.

• Feb 24, 2017

Good movie but did not enjoy as much as other movies

Good movie but did not enjoy as much as other movies

• Feb 22, 2016

Low-budget but a fair horror about lunatics taking over the asylum.

Low-budget but a fair horror about lunatics taking over the asylum.

• Feb 11, 2016

http://letterboxd.com/zbender/film/dont-look-in-the-basement/ A man with a child's brain, a judge, a sergeant, a lover, a mother, an old woman, a schizophrenic, and a curly headed fuck all under one roof. That spells Stephen's Sanitarium, an institution that prides itself on letting the patients act on their obsessions. There are no locks, everyone has weapons, and utter lunacy roams free. The biggest problem I had with this was not with the over the top nature of the actors, the picture quality, or much of the aesthetics for that matter. My big problem was probably how long we linger within the patients' world. It seems a good 45 minutes passes and there isn't much of a story, rather the actors are fucking around in their characters. Charlotte Beale (who in real life was a former Playboy model; and no that was not taken advantage) acted as a vehicle to explore what everyone's afflictions are. Things happen, but they don't lead to a clear cohesive plot. Occasionally humorous, but it got old after a bit. There was a twist that honestly caught me off guard, and from that point on the film was just swell. After and even times before that there are some bits of mental fuckery, gore, and bad acting that was amusing for a time. However, it's not quite enough for me to warrant a "go and watch."

• Nov 03, 2015

I cannot, in good conscience, give this more than two stars, but it is nonetheless a guilty pleasure of mine. The plot: a new nurse arrives at a house full of mental patients immediately after one of the patients has murdered the doctor who would have been her boss. Now she must get to know the patients with only the guide of a stern Head Nurse, and the more she learns, the more she suspects that something just ain't right around here. For a thrift store budget horror flick from the 70s, it's actually not that baaaa... ok yeah, it is pretty awful. BUT! There is something about it that kinda sucked me in. After all, the bad actors are mostly playing insane people, so the whacko-ness of the characters dresses up the lack of talent. There is a sense of familiarity among the cast like a community theater group that has done a lot of plays together... only now they're trying to make a horror flick. This is the kind of movie that the Rifftrax crew would have a blast with, and going into it with the so-bad-it's-kinda-good mentality makes this worth a... wait for it... "LOOK".