Don't Stop Believin': Everyman's Journey - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Don't Stop Believin': Everyman's Journey Reviews

July 10, 2016
Good story. Not a fan of the band but it's hard to not cheer for Pineda.
½ August 20, 2015
Interesting documentary of a legendary rock band finding their new lead singer on YouTube. At the very least it made me want to buy Journey's Greatest Hits on iTunes.
½ July 24, 2015
The movie reminds me of the band. What it lacks in depth, it makes up for in finely crafted joy. Loved it.
February 26, 2015
Excellent documentary about dreams coming true!
February 3, 2015
I've always loved Journey and I must admit that I never thought any singer could even come close to Steve Perry's amazing voice - until I heard Arnel Pineda!! Not only is he a fabulous singer, but he's down to earth, humble and knows what true happiness is. Great documentary.
December 25, 2014
Journey fans can't miss this one. Fascinating story of Arnel Pineda, dead-ringer vocally for Steve Perry (and perhaps even better), who gets plucked out of hopeless poverty in the Phillippines to become the lead singer of Journey. Remarkable as that is, Pineda manages to stay grounded and keep a perspective that is rare, especially in the drugs, sex and rock-and-roll world.
November 13, 2014
Two music industry documentaries in two days, and I could not find two of the more different! This documentary directed and produced by Ramona S. Diaz was a real Cinderella story of the famous band Journey and its new lead vocalist Arnel Pineda, a Filipino who comes from a poor neighbourhood, abandoned by his father at the age of 13.

The film is focused on the band and Arnel, the new singer, during the Revelation Tour in the United States and Pineda's homecoming in Manila, Philippines where they performed in front of 25,000 people. Revealing, warm, and entertaining 105 minutes will make you appreciate the opportunity this young man got to finally leave the miserable life and poverty behind him! Very energetic performance but the screenplay was very shallow. Luckily, there was the Journey music to fill up the gap.

Charming Pineda stole the show - and I am extremely happy for it. Try to watch it!
June 17, 2014
the way Ramona Diaz presented it is straight forward. it is what Arnel has gone though until Neal Schon plucked him from obscurity and even Arnel to this day still wonders if it is a dream. The nitty gritty of his life was not presented because if you wander through Manila you can see what life homeless kids are all about.
June 14, 2014
Documentary. Very good.
½ April 27, 2014
Very emotional story... A must see if you like music!
April 23, 2014
A mixed bag of a documentary that has an interesting subject at its core, huge internet discovery helps to make legendary band relevant again despite huge obstacles between the large shoes of Steven Perry to fill, long time minimalized from the public eye as a band, and a supposed troubled past for Pineda in his homeland of the Phillipines.Despite all of the avenues to pursue, it seems very superficial and purfunctory and doesn't provide any sense of depth or involvement, just step by step. Alright for what it is but could have been way more engaging.
December 23, 2013
The improbable tale of Arnel Pineda, a Filipino singer with killer pipes who becomes lead singer of Journey. The filmmaking is fairly pedestrian, but the story is wild.
December 14, 2013
I enjoyed this quite a bit. There were bits where I thought, wow a couple of the guys in Journey are a little racist "I didn't even know if he could speak English" and "How is some guy from the Third World going to adjust to being in this life?" (Pineda is Filipino, not quite Darfur here...) But what I most enjoyed was the story of a guy who really did have a rough life ending up with the chance of a lifetime. I don't imagine he'll be one to get jaded when he sings "Don't Stop Believing" because it seems like he didn't, and he can sing it without sounding trite. It's also interesting to see him try and adjust, and learn how to make it through a tour and life on the road. I left feeling like the rhythm section of Ross Valory and Deen Castronovo were the ones who were really into Arnel as a person and that he was awesome, whereas Neil Schon and Jonathan Cain seemed more worried about Journey the band and how this was going to work out for them. They all seemed genuine enough, but Schon and Cain struck me as being a little more distant and at times, mildly condescending. That being said, Pineda has an amazing voice and his energy is exactly what a bunch of middle aged white dudes need to re-energize what was once a much bigger band. The success they have now is due in many ways to Pineda's appeal, and that he's not just a Steve Perry replica. I would be very interested to hear what Perry thinks of Pineda. Good doc.
½ November 30, 2013
A snapshot of Journey at this moment in its 30-year history, 2008, as it emerges with a new lead singer.

Great Documnentary!!! I'm a big fan of Journey so I enjoyed it very much. The documentary shows how the band has been affected with Arnel Pineda now leading the iconic group, and it seems that it couldn't have been more positive in terms of popularity. We see how Journey is playing in different parts of the world now, and that there is a stunning influx of Filipino attendees at their concerts now. One wonders if it's still necessarily politically correct to refer to the band as the all American rock band.

Don't Stop Believin': Everyman's Journey follows the real life rock-n-roll fairy tale story of Filipino Arnel Pineda, who was plucked from You Tube to become the front man for iconic American rock band, Journey, thereby becoming the latest performer to go from the Internet to real life celebrity. Having already overcome a life full of painful obstacles and now saddled with the immense pressures of leading a world renowned band and replacing a legendary singer, the film follows Arnel on this personal journey.
November 23, 2013
Journey is that band so I like this movie
November 14, 2013
This film is about a guy from Philippines, a band called Journey and how sometimes the dreams come true.
November 2, 2013
Please help me: Near the end of the film
, they're all riding around in a van, and there's a guy wearing a disguise in the backseat of the van--who is that???
½ October 29, 2013
The subject matter was great but the doc itself let me down. They try and trick you into thinking their is going to be added drama when there never is
October 14, 2013
If you have not checked out this movie yet, do it now. It's AWESOME. Very inspiring. Of course, I'm a bit biased cause I'm a big Journey fan. Regardless, it's a very cool rags to riches story. Arnel Pineda's story is amazing. From a homeless man living on the streets of the Philippines, a chance youtube search lands him the job of Journey's front man.

Great stuff.
October 12, 2013
Don't stop believing follow the journey of Arnel Pineda as he becomes the front man for the famous 80's band Journey. While the story is definetely unique it gets kind of boring by the end. It makes sense that there would be some problems adjusting to life on the road and the life of fame. Arnel comes out of obscurity to sing in front of thousands of fans every night. An interesting story that could probably have been told in half the time.