Don't Torture a Duckling - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Don't Torture a Duckling Reviews

½ October 10, 2016
el mejor giallo que he visto hasta ahora
½ February 28, 2016
As silly as its brilliant title suggests. Sex-mad young boys are being serially slain in an Italian village and many suspects are presented and ruled out before we get to the bottom of it. When it gets gory it gets REALLY gory and there's a memorable scene with a poor woman getting beaten to a pulp in a graveyard to a pop soundtrack that *must* have inspired Tarantino.
December 27, 2015
Un classico del thriller all'italiana. Di solito i film italiani più commerciali girati dopo gli anni '60 risentono di una qualità del materiali girato mediamente bassa (attori non sempre convincenti, location spoglie etc etc) dovuta a fattori di budget; in questo caso invece anche a livello visivo siamo di fronte ad un lavoro buono (se non fosse per quel manichino nell'ultima scena). È un thriller dove non si capisce fino alla fine chi sia ilv ero colpevole e lascerà lo spettatore brancolare nel buio fino all'ultima scena.
½ December 11, 2015
Nice bit of Giallo, with Fulci giving jabs to the Catholic Church wherever he can. Fans of the genre will not be let down.
October 6, 2015
One of Lucio Fulci's most notorious movies. This is one gritty film, that is probably the most grindhouse-y of all his movies. It's a bit long, but there are great scenes sprinkled without. Such as the scene where the crazy woman is beaten to death in the cemetery. What a fantastic, gruesome, and disturbing scene. It's one of the best in Lucio Fulci movie. There are a few twists along the way, though I must admit I had a hard time understanding how and why exactly certain characters were doing things (such as the protagonist going out driving all the time). I think there was a line of dialogue that I barely missed that explained it. I won't spoil the ending, but it's pretty good and the final death is memorable for both being gruesome and hilariously shoddy looking.
November 7, 2014
Who is the killer? The local idiot, the witch? My money is on the city girl trying to escape her crippling marijuana addiction!

*No ducklings were harmed in the making of this picture
½ September 21, 2014
Bello acidello, come dipinto.
A metà visione perde un po' di ritmo e si appesantisce, ma dalla scena (splendida! *) ambientata nel cimitero in poi il tenore si stravolge ed arrivano colpi di scena a valanga, fino ad un finale che sinceramente non mi aspettavo (sarò scemo?).
Menzione speciale per il politically correct del '72: "è sordomuta, è una bambina scema!", "non è come pensate voi: non è deficente, è solo ritardata".

*: La colonna sonora di quella scena è un vero colpo di genio, ma in realtà tutto è fatto da dio: dai movimenti degli uomini agli effetti speciali ai tempi. 10/10.
July 17, 2014
A Giallo Masterpiece, and as great as the genre gets! Fulci's masterpiece manages to create an atmospheric yet beautiful depiction of life in a humble village. With likeable characters, a genuinely intriguing plot and some disturbingly gorgeous sequences, Don't Torture a Duckling manages a to utilise every Giallo convention to create a completely original example of the genre, even to this day.
February 18, 2014
Not yet the "godfather of gore", Fulci didn't really come into his own until Zombi 2, seven years later. Nice ending though.
½ January 20, 2014
Other than a couple artistic scenes and Barbara Bouchet looking stunning there wasn't much special here.
½ September 25, 2013
One the best of Fulci's giallo films is, at times, disturbing and violent.
½ March 23, 2013
There's a showstopping death scene where a priest falls off a cliff & we see in slow motion his face being torn apart on jagged rocks. I could recommend the movie on that scene alone.
February 25, 2013
I am blown away. How does a man known for gore make a film so emotionally powerful it nearly brought me to tears. This is really one of the most beautiful films ever in my opinion and I wish people still made movies like this.
December 11, 2012
Striking, but confusing.
½ December 5, 2012
Interesting & Fun to watch but still I expected a lot more, The hilarious cliff falling scene is awesome
½ October 13, 2012
Excellent Murder mystery, moving in places with amazing soundtrack and cinematography. The ultra tacky final scene does not fit in with a film of such a high class Fulci's best work by far.
October 6, 2012
This typically bold Giallo, one of the first notable films that Lucio Fulci helmed, is engaging throughout. The child murder angle could easily have been tacky, it isn't, despite the odd out of place moment this is a film that deserves to be taken seriously. I also like the rather hyperbolic title.
October 5, 2012
I feel this is a very underrated film in my opinion.

There's a child killer on the loose, and someone must find out who it is to stop the killings from happening once more.

The film focuses on the death of three young boys, who have been killed in strange and mysterious ways. The cases are put into the hands of the police, and a reporter seems to begin to figure things out. It seems to be that most people will figure out who is behind everything towards the middle of the film, but don't get yourself wrong. Once, people believe the killer is dead and gone, another child killing occurs. It's also interesting, because anyone is a suspect in here.

Greatly suggested.
June 28, 2012
An interesting somewhat slow moving giallo. One of Fulci's better scripts and directed with some flair.
½ March 31, 2012
When fans of the giallo genre talk about their favorites, Lucio Fulci's Don't Torture a Duckling is mysteriously left out of the conversations. Not because it's a bad film, but because it tends to stick out as more than just a mere giallo. It's actually quite a thought-provoking film with a lot of style and substance to it. There are moments of light silliness that don't hold up very well, but overall, the film is probably the best that Fulci ever made - and he made some really great classic genre films. For a change, I found the conclusion to be satisfying. Usually the ending reveal doesn't match up to the rest of the film, but this one is pretty unique and quite interesting. I'd recommend this film to those interested in seeing something different for a change. Don't Torture a Duckling is definitely different and leaves you pondering.