Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot Reviews

• Jun 24, 2019

We watched this tonight ad thought it was pretty good.

We watched this tonight ad thought it was pretty good.

• Jun 16, 2019

the shots dont flow very well. the tone is all over the place. I can't tell if it's a bad comedy, art house film, a feel good inspirational movie, or a heavy drama. the movie can entertaining but honestly it's not the great. just think an alcoholic Simple Jack combined with j. Phoenix in a wheel chair then you get this

• Jun 01, 2019

I was interested in this for awhile when I heard about it being made, and finally got around to watching it. I didn't know much about it, but expected maybe more of a straight-forward comedy. Instead, it's a drama with lots of humor throughout. What I didn't realize until the credits were rolling, was that it was directed by Gus Van Sant, and so I immediately dialed-down expectations because his movies often don't "fulfill" the same requirements I often expect of typical movies. That is to say, his movies often disregard or simply don't include aspects of a story you might find familiar, and it ends up just being a little different. That's mostly me, but it's happened more than once. Regardless, this movie was not terribly riveting, but somehow also didn't let me down and drag. Don't worry about the length, just go with it. I liked it, and it stuck with me.

• May 25, 2019

Joaquin Phoenix has an incredible performance in this biopic about John Callahan. The true star of the show though is Jonah Hill, his role as Callahan's AA sponsor is out of this world. I have never looked at Hill as a serious actor, I mean just look at his resume, but he truly steps forward here. I was blown away at his depth in the role and truly felt his compassion. Joaquin being great wasn't out of the ordinary, I mean he has a long history of being a fantastic actor. The only real downfall for me on this film was I felt like the whole movie was super quiet...maybe it was a bad speaker system on my end, but I felt like I had to have this movie blasting loud to hear what they were saying. I know that's a silly thing to count against a movie, but for me, it was a pain. Also, the story structure was kind of all over the place, it was a great story, don't get me wrong but it's not very linear which can make it hard to keep up if you're not fully engaged. Either way, it was a great movie, I would definitely watch it again.

• May 24, 2019

Thick skin for this one

Thick skin for this one

• May 18, 2019

A gritty recovery movie that has laughs but is mostly a true painful journey.

A gritty recovery movie that has laughs but is mostly a true painful journey.

• May 14, 2019

Joaquin Phoenix plays cartoonist John Callahan (you'll probably recognise his style when you see it) who is paralysed in a car accident while drinking and subsequently joins Alcoholics Anonymous and goes through the twelve steps. If this sounds like "after school special" material, well it probably is â" but director Gus Van Sant and Joaquin Phoenix work hard to provide enough "edge" to keep viewers interested. Callahan seems to have been quite a character, although the twelve steps are suggested to have sanded some of the edges off -- if not in his controversial humour, then at least in his dealings with people (a positive thing). Jonah Hill plays Callahan's AA sponsor and it is probably a testament to the film's acceptance of all of its diverse characters that I didn't realise he was gay until it started to become featured in the dialogue and his AIDS diagnosis is revealed â" the film takes place mostly in the 1980s). Van Sant keeps things interesting with film technique â" lots of split screens (and moving split screens) to indicate the passage of time. He employs a lot of eccentric character actors in small parts who help to liven up the proceedings (Kim Gordon, Udo Kier, Jack Black, Rooney Mara, Carrie Brownstein). And of course, you can't help but confront your own hypothetical "what if" about being a quadriplegic (and your attitudes toward disability) or think about alcohol's negative role/influence/impact on society and our lives (and the excuses we employ to rely on it). Phoenix's acting is stupendous (as usual) and he disappears into the character â" but it is hard not to feel that the film is designed to be "good for you" at some level. But who said that's a bad thing?

• May 12, 2019

A Pï¿ 1/2 (C) Ele Não Vai Longe (2018) #MovieReview 3,5 ï¿ 1/2Â?ï¿ 1/2Â? Após acidente de carro, homem alcoólatra fica paraplï¿ 1/2 (C)gico. E mais bebaço. Atï¿ 1/2 (C) entrar em programa de doze passos e virar cartunista. Quem acredita, consegue! Bom filme!

• May 11, 2019

Joaquin Phoenix is at peak of he's carrer, he's acting is amazing and a joy to watch. Also, I love Jonah Hill's pick with movies. No big surprises in this one' just the story as it is. At points it's not easy and tragic events. Very powerfull display.

• Apr 28, 2019

Don't Worry He Won't Get Far On Foot is a film by Gus Van Sant. I have seen many Gus Van Sant films over the decades some loving & some loathing. His films have a dark element to them like the PNW overcast sky since Oregon or the PNW is where his films at least partly take place. "My Own Private Idaho" w/ River Phoenix & Keanu Reeves is probably my favorite Gus Van Sant film until now. Don't Worryï¿ 1/2 1/2 1/2 1/2 1/2 1/2w/ Joaquin Phoenix, Jonah Hill, Rooney Mara, & Jack Black is a sweet & sour film that dives into the rock bottom lows of addiction follwed by the rise above energy of a Phoenix of redemption. He finds his redemption through 12 step meetings, support through friends that understand his quirky eccentric outlook. He overcomes the crippling lows of addiction & spiritual bankrupcty to find a creative spark w/ his drawings that are his outlet along w/ love of Rooney Mara. Having lived three occasions in PDX aka Portland, OR & Eugene, OR feel this film captures the authentic outsider grit better than Portlandia. Of course Portlandia is a comedy show geared to the mainstream helping them understand other lifestyles. While "Walk the Line" about Johnny Cash was a good film that Phoenix should have won best actor for. Feel Phoenix does even better w/ this one. Of course this film isn't for everyone as feel it will be a film for real punk rockers & won't win any awards which it should ;) Just as Ramones & Velvet Underground records weren't on top of the pop charts the records are still stand the test of time many decades later. Thank you Gus Van Sant. Thank you for all the actors, actresses, supporting cast, etc to make high authentic heart in the 21st century.