Don't You Forget About Me Reviews

• Aug 30, 2017

I just saw the documentary. Although I commend their effort in tracking him (or his home) down, I thought the documentary wasn't well researched. The producers mentioned the documentary took 2.5 years to make but they still had to speak to locals (around his suburb) and ask where his house was. Along with this, they never mentioned Home Alone which was his highest grossing film or Uncle Buck. I don't even recall the producers mentioning Planes, Trains and Automobiles and just seemed to focus their adoration on his teen films. The interviews with some of the actors were good but Molly Ringwald, Macaulay Culkin and Matthew Broderick would have made it much better seeing that they were his muses. Overall, the film was pleasant but nothing great or amazing and it seems to be a waste especially considering that John Hughes ignored their requests. It made all of that footage with the lead-up to meeting him pointless.

• Sep 11, 2014

Excellent documentary on the search for the elusive filmmaker, John Hughes, before his passing in 2009.

• Feb 05, 2014

This John Hughes centered documentary is basically like watching a bunch of people perform a "King Kong" like ritual only, instead of offering a human sacrifice, they buy the guy a pizza.

• Sep 23, 2013

Este documental en el que unos jovenes realizadores buscan afanosamente a John Hughes, el director, guionista y productor de cintas para adolescentes en la década de los 80 como "The Breakfast Club", "Sixteen Candles", "Weird Science": "Ferris Buller's Day Off" o "Pretty In Pink" huele a falso y a hipocrita. Se supone que Hughes se recluye a mediados de los 90 y se retira del mundo del cine. Por que razon? Jamas la sabremos, ya que Hughes muere poco despues de realizado este documental. Pero, cual es la razón para obsesionarse con el hombre cuando lo importante es el analisis de su obra? Aqui se critica la obsesion de la gente por la vida privada de los artistas, pero se cae en lo que se critica al obsesionarse por la figura de Hughes y no por sus peliculas, que es lo que realmente importa. Hay muchas imprecisiones, exageraciones y omisiones en "Don't You Forget About Me". Para alguien que no sepa nada sobre este director puede ser informativo, pero para aquellos que vimos y vivimos su irregular obra, este documental no nos dice mucho.

• Jul 02, 2013

• Apr 23, 2013

Surprisingly enjoyable! Acting stilted (obvs) but I like the demon look, a la Emily Rose, as we are in the midst of over "zombie go-slow" exposure. I like quick moving scream-face bloody x2 Ring/Grudge shaky peers! Almost felt like what Whedon's CITW should have been. Bring it.

• Feb 01, 2013

A must for any John Hughes fans!

A must for any John Hughes fans!

• Dec 22, 2012

Independent film makers trek to Chicago to find and talk to legendary teen film maker John Hughes.

• Dec 11, 2012

Dear John Hughes, In Memory Of dedication for DON'T YOU FORGET ABOUT ME Ironic, isn't it? A film that's all about you, and one that you clearly wanted nothing to do with, is also dedicating itself to you posthumously. I'm sure the filmmakers' intentions were pure. But the delivery is so clumsily executed. That's the problem with Don't You Forget About Me - a fanboy and fangirl documentary that certainly wasn't worthy of your presence. In fact, after shunning Hollywood and the media for so long, I would have almost been insulted if you broke your self-imposed exile for this film. But now you're gone for good, and this stalker-doc about you may be the best we get... (CONT'D) http://www.dearcastandcrew.com/letters/2012/12/7/dont-you-forget-about-me.html

• Dec 04, 2012

"Don't You Forget About Me" is a genuine try to pay homage to John Hughes and it achieves its best moments when let other filmmakers, actors and young audiences talk about the greatness of his work. Unfortunately, we have this other half with the four documentarists trying to get an interview with extremely recluse Hughes, what end up being a letdown and can even send the wrong message to the viewers about the filmmaker. With just 75 minutes, it's a love letter that barely scratches the surface of Hughes' body of work.