Doomsday Machine (Escape from Planet Earth) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Doomsday Machine (Escape from Planet Earth) Reviews

½ September 1, 2016
This should have a Zero.
½ April 15, 2016
I can see the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel, as I'm nearing the end of my infamous Mill Creek 50-film 'Nightmare Worlds' pack. This was a really strange viewing experience, and honestly made me wonder if my red wine had been spiked with some hallucinogen by some ne'er-do-well prankster. It had some intriguing ideas, a big one being that the USA and USSR are afraid that China is going to destroy the world, so at the last minute, just before a scheduled space flight to investigate Venus, NASA administrators replace three of the astronauts with female counterparts, and include a mysterious large suitcase.

Though it says 1972, you can distinctly feel that it was made years earlier, before the game-changers of '2001: A Space Odyssey' and the manned space flight to the moon completely changed the way sci-fi films were made (unless you're the sad saps behind monstrosities such as 'Star Odyssey', that go on as if any relationship with the way things are in real life is an entirely accidental and unintended coincidence). Most of it was made in 1966, but funding ran out, and it shows. The filmmakers couldn't even afford the intended climax, and that shows--the film simply ends. But for all of that, this bizarre experiment of a forced Adam and Eve scenario in outer space, as a future for Earth, is decent--and it would be two generations later, when in Christopher Nolan's 'Interstellar', that this idea would be fully realized with human decency and artistic integrity.
½ April 15, 2016

January 18, 2016
Its not as bad as you'd imagine. Its not good, but its quirky, silly, reasonably tense and on the whole a bit of a laugh.
November 26, 2015
a Masterpiece of Awfulness
½ April 24, 2015
one of those cult pix that r sooo bad they're good
½ March 27, 2015
A real STINKEROOSKY of a sci-fi cheesefest! In other words, "It stinks SO GOOD!!!" ;-)
½ October 3, 2014
Doomsday Machine is a true masterpiece of failures, with awful acting and dreadful music.
June 16, 2014
Nostalgia Critic for that's the reason!
½ April 12, 2014
I honestly remember very little about Doomsday Machine. That should tell you just how memorable this one is. Some standard sci-fi stuff with a bit of drama thrown in to make it interesting, and it fails. Cinematic Titanic (some of the folks behind Mystery Science Theater 3000) riffed this one and even they couldn't make it memorable. Easily skippable with a title that's far more intriguing than its final product. It doesn't even fall into the category of "so bad that it's good," at least not for me.
½ December 10, 2013
I can't think of a better word to describe this movie than "Trash".
September 9, 2013
This movie is almost the equal to Manos: The Hands of Fate, with the exception that it's in space. This movie is silly, horrible, with dumb moments, sexist, offensive and hilariously bad. A movie so surprisingly-wrong put together.
½ May 18, 2013
The story is a mess and the characters are boring, but Doomsday Machine does offer some fun sci-fi elements and campy effects. Slow pacing and dull dialog don't help make the film any more watchable, but it could of been a lot worse.
½ August 22, 2012
The two critics that gave this film a positive review have no idea what a movie is. Nearly ten minutes of nothing going on is good? So stupid. 0.5 out of 5.
½ February 18, 2012
Falling smack dab in the middle of so-bad-its-good territory, D-Machine offers a bevy of talent - all mispent - when a planned exploration of planet Venus becomes the last chance of the species after we destroy Terra Firma with the bomb. I had the most fun recognising actors from better known work.
½ November 8, 2011
I don't know how to give it Zero stars
October 13, 2011
Wow this is a bad movie! If you're going to attempt to film a space odyssey make sure you have an adequate budget. Here it seems they spent all their money on Casey Kasem and skimped on everything else.
May 10, 2011
Ok, so the chineese have invented a doomsday machine bomb capable of destroying the world.
American agents dressed up as asians find the bomb - in china - and thoose fuckers has switched it on.
There's only one thing to do. To change the lineup to the fourthcoming expedition to the planet of Venus. Just minutes before take-off some of the guys are left behind and replaced with one slut, one russsian female kosmonaut and one all american decent woman. Their mission is to repopulate the world in a couple of years or find another planet to live on.

The men are first angry with the situation and question if women are suitable in space but after a while they start to explore them out.

The slut understands last of all what has happend and spends her days hysteric, in coma or with her clothes torn apart while being sexually assaulted by one of the astronauts. Then they meet the Venus people that proves to be pretty unfriendly and finally they meet God (kind of)
May 3, 2011
What the... w00t. This was one crazy movie with some weird ending.
2/5
October 10, 2010
Yikes, this was bad. Found this on Netflix and was feeling nostalic for Elvira's show, (geez those segments were bad too, but lets face it Cassandra knew what her biggest selling points to the 1980's adolescent boys midnight crowd really was) The film itself is similar to a lot of sci-fi of the 70's like Roddenberry's Genesis II, Earth is destroyed a few people are left, this one stars out like a bad Chinese kung fu action movie and rapidly succumbs to a claustrophic one set piece of 4 guys and 3 ladies trapped on a spaceship. I've seen better sets at High school plays. Ugh, bad. Script wise there is a bizarre but somewhat interesting debate between the Soviet female space pilot and the male USA space pilot on the merits of communism VS democracy. It's a short banter but it's also about the only inspired bit of writing in the film. It's also an interesting comment on the era as the Soviets did have female cosmonauts but the US space program at the time was a Men's Only club. One minor up swing was seeing relatively unknown actors Mike Farrell ( MASH-tv), the infamous Casey Kasem and lesser known Denny Miller. Miller has a very distinctive voice, ( I remember him as the ice planet clone from 70's TV Battlestar Galactica) and is very tall and athletic. If you search IMDB he was in a lot of 70s & 80's TV.