Dora and the Lost City of Gold Reviews

• 1d ago

it's a decent, fun movie. slow start, good middle, satisfying ending! Story is okay and the characters are interesting. funny knocks at the original dora series. some cliches and inconsistencies. only wish there was more high school scenes.

• 2d ago

Dora the Explorer hits the big screen, reminding us of 80's adventure films. It doesn't take itself too seriously with gags galore, while sticking to its Spanish origins. One for the whole family, it's aDORAble.

• 6d ago

This movie was very aware of itself, which was hilarious and entertaining. There wasn't a whole lot of plot, but the characters were fresh. Merced did a great job as Dora, bringing such energy and spunk to her role. But the highlight of this movie was definitely the playful and quirky set designs. The rainforest was brought to life as a vibrant, beautiful setting for a children's movie. Good movie for the kids.

• Feb 17, 2020

Better than the show, I'll give it that much.

Better than the show, I'll give it that much.

• Feb 17, 2020

Parts of this movie were genius, other parts were lazy writing that ruined the genius parts. Also, it's a very predictable movie that is just like every other adventure jungle movie, except with some stupid moments like a monkey moving a huge stone wall.

• Feb 05, 2020

This was a wholesome and funloving movie. The acting was pretty good, and it was family-friendly while also including some action scenes.

• Jan 28, 2020

So funny! Acutely aware of the absurdities inherent in children's TV shows and uses that for amazing comedic situations.

• Jan 26, 2020

There's always that fear that characters that were so beloved as cartoons will be diluted as live action characters. Thankfully, Dora's live action introduction does not live up to those fears. Isabela Moner did a great job in bringing Dora to life. I don't know who else could have fit the role perfectly. The movie is fun, has emotional touches, and fun action sequences for a general audience. Maybe the fact that you've seen Dora in the past helps you get invested into the characters and story, but overall I believe any viewer can get invested regardless of whether or not they've seen Dora in the past.

• Jan 25, 2020

Big surprise. So Dora (Isabela Merced) is a girl living in the jungle. She has aspirations of being an explorer but she isn't old enough to accompany her parents as they search for Parapata AKA the Lost City of Gold. She gets sent to live with her grandmother in Los Angeles, but she may get thrown into the mix anyway when she, her cousin Diego (Jeff Wahlberg), and a couple other classmates get kidnapped to help some bad guys with the same treasure hunt. Now I have no background in this show at all, all I knew is that this is made for small children. As a grown male adult, there really shouldn't be any reason for me to watch this... but I caught word that it actually was pretty good, so I added it to my queue. Take it from me: this is far better than it has any business being. Now the biggest reason why this is so successful is that it is genuinely funny. Like I said before, I don't know the show, but the one thing I do know is that Dora will frequently break the fourth wall and ask the audience a number of varying questions. They play that to terrific comedic effect, and I honestly laughed out loud at this. The jokes don't hit at a 100% success rate, but it's up there close around the 75% mark, which is more than I was asking for. Isabela Merced has some serious acting chops, so much so that I actually had something positive to say about her in a Michael Bay Transformers movie. A lot of what makes this movie works rests squarely on her shoulders, and she is so positive and spunky that it's infectious, which I imagine plays a large part in what makes the actual show work as well. The story is just Indiana Jones lite, but that is what I was expecting. The supporting cast is good enough; they don't particularly stand out in any way, but they are able to give enough back to Merced to make almost every single scene have something worthwhile going on for it. This has way more spirit than you would think, and I appreciate that they put forth the extra effort. This would have made money off of name-recognition alone, so I am most thankful that they didn't just phone it in. I will say that I think this starts off stronger than it finishes, but it never reached a point where I got bored with it. If you have kids, definitely rent this, but even if you don't, I think there's more than enough here to ensure you'll get enjoyment out of it.

• Jan 20, 2020

My friend saw this and told me how much he enjoyed it, I was pretty sceptical to be honest but decided to give it a watch on the flight I was on earlier this week. It was better than expected, obviously not Earth shatteringly good or anything but it was definitely enjoyable for what it was. I liked how they didn't take themselves too seriously, converting from cartoon to live action, and was very well humoured throughout. A pretty well balanced film, something both adults and kids can enjoy equally I think!