Dragon Ball Z: Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan (Doragon bru Z: Moetsukiro!! Nessen retsusen-ch gekisen) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dragon Ball Z: Broly - The Legendary Super Saiyan (Doragon bru Z: Moetsukiro!! Nessen retsusen-ch gekisen) Reviews

September 16, 2016
Dragon Ball Z: Broly-The Legendary Super Saiyan(1993)
Starring: Eric Vale, Bin Shimada, Ry? Horikawa, Mayumi Tanakam, Toshio Furukawa, Masako Nozawa, Naoko Watanabe, Hiromi Tsuru, and K?hei Miyauchi
Review
You know for a guy who doesn't like Dragon Ball and sees it as a joke thanks to that 2009 live action film I freaking enjoyed myself with this picture. It was tons of fun.
In this Dragon Ball film it introduces the super-villain Broly into the franchise. When a spaceship touches down during a picnic, the saiyan Paragus tries to persuade Vegeta to rule the new planet Vegeta. There, Vegeta enlists Paragus's powerful son, Broly, to help him investigate a series of interplanetary attacks. But when Broly comes face to face with Goku, his long buried rage sends shockwaves through the universe.
This films was purpose I believe was to go along with the dragonball storyline for fans while being enjoyable for other kids who didn't see the show at the time. It has great animation and great action sequences for a cartoon but to be honest I wasn't heavy on the plot. But it does seem interesting which is a good thing. You know my brother in law would always have a conversation about the superman movie Man of Steel and he would say to me its Dragon Ball because of the fight scenes, And I would say I've always wanted to see that kind of fight and he would say you have basically have always wanted to see a dragonball fight.
The film is short of course I think this needed rto be longer if it were to hook me because I did not like that opening with Goku going for a job interview with CHi Chi I think that's how you spell her name. But later it got my curiosity then quickly my attention.
Dragon Ball Z: Broly: The Super Saiyan is a fun time, with a some what interesting story, all the characters you know and love and great action sequences I give it a three out of five.
May 14, 2016
This DBZ movie is the best one out of all, and this movie could be used as the soul to a live action movie!! This movie had the best music and action. Other English DBZ movies are good but are better left Japanese, for example; The History of Trunks. FUNimation outdid themselves this time, as this movie is so enjoyable thats its only drawback is that it ended. I could see this as a Live Action movie to see if more would work. Broly himself is an amazing character, as he does a good job pretending to be good then losing it when Kakarot aka Goku shows up. When he and Goku meet face to face, the movie really takes off. This movie is worth everyones time and makes a great source for entertainment.
October 17, 2015
Such An Amazing Film Treated The Most Notoriously Obnoxious Fan Base In The Whole Dragon Ball Community
March 18, 2015
Out of the original bunch of the Dragon Ball films before the newer, enhancing, more entertaining films we're getting now, this stands out to be a qualifying pick to be reviewed while also representing the shorter films of the film series.

The eighth "Z" film, the eleventh overall, showed some improvements to the structure by taking its time until the climax's trigger cracks - or by stalling to keep the wanted length when the unfolded events were already obvious of what or what's going to happened (not saying it's predictable). But it didn't cut straight to the main action though like how the other films were structured as that's the main reason of their short lengths.

The usual structure of these films is that we see a pattern flowing as the story progresses in separate paths: one path is the cause of an impending danger or danger approaching, while the other path shows the heroes living their lives on Earth before they were called to help and stop the danger. In this film, the structure was like what I've seen before in the later action fantasy and superhero flicks: the story developing with a fight stirred up to end the first half, and just wait until the problems arises and the climax then triggers with the main fight of the film.

For most of the other films, the fight takes from a half to two-thirds of the film, which shows signs of underdevelopments. The episodes took their time developing their plots. Although the films might've showed those necessary length of developments, they just need to be understood. The main focus that these movies done to justify their existence is to put the characters and the battles from the smaller screen to the bigger screen, while retaining the same nature that the "Z" series holds (including the coolness that the characters brings). To the series that are mostly based on the manga, the battle sequences are supposedly the main attraction when presenting moves and techniques that takes talents to animate it on such scale to match the power level seen on the screen.

Starting from the fourth "Z" film "Lord Slug," eight more films started using heavy rock music to back up the approaching danger and the battle sequences. The kind of music is a nice touch to the experience of watching the series. (A different enhancement showed up in the fourteenth "Z" film "Battle of Gods" in enhanced animation with little CGI around the borders.) The heavy rock music were exclusive to the films, and they've defined the tone of the series' way on tough battles. ("Dragon Ball GT" revives that style through its own background music.)

While the other films in the original bunch may not qualify to be reviewed due to not having enough length, they're still good to watch, even though few of them weren't able to amp things up than the previous. The animation shows some differences in their stylize shade while being typically good as being a colorful makeup for the film and as a performance during the battle sequences. The Dragon Ball [anime] films may be treats for those who watches the series, but they do welcome those who finds and sees elegance in a film with nice action, occasional humor, good soundtracks compilation that fits, and a general sense of fun and adventure seen in good-natured anime films. (B+)

(Review's not finished yet; full review coming soon)
½ November 29, 2014
Despite his continuing popularity as one of Dragon Ball Z's most popular villains, Broly is largely uninteresting, flat, and one-dimensional. With flimsy motivation and an existence which occurs for no other reason than to see an evil Super Saiyan, the movie is lauded by Broly fan boys as the ultimate Dragon Ball Z movie, while fans who praised the substance of the series from which the movie is based will be disappointed. The films only saving graces are the decent animation and the tremendous battle during the film's second half, which is one of the longest can remember. If you're looking for plenty of punishment, brutality, and the action of DBZ, look no further. If you're looking for something which adds substance to the Dragon Ball lore, then you might be better off looking somewhere else.
½ December 29, 2013
This story happens sometime before the Cell match. Broly's father comes to Earth and invite Vegeta to a new Saiyan planet. He wants him back as ruler and restore pride of Saiyan. When they reach there, Gohan and Krilin found out it is all a fake. They enslave the poor planet citizens to build a fake scenario to bluff Vegeta. The father and son pair wants to kill all Saiyans left. His son Broly is the legendary super Saiyan. All Z warriors are not his match. Vegeta is totally hopeless becuase he feel that his prince power shouldn't be that weak. Eventually everyone transfer their energy to Goku and he defeated Broly. The citizens are freed.
½ September 26, 2013
La ms intrigante, oscura y bruta de todas las cintas dragonballeras, y al mismo tiempo la mejor.
½ August 31, 2013
Determined by many as the best DBZ movie, Broly has all the elemts that make Dragon Ball Z an incredible anime. Strong and heavy action scenes, humor, breathtaking satisfying and fantastic. This movie creates everlasting memories.
½ May 12, 2013
greatest dbz movie ever
March 11, 2013
A great action movie with a solid soundtrack!! Broly is probably the coolest DBZ badguy!!
½ January 25, 2013
Vegeta: There is no use. This is the end.
December 19, 2012
Interesting set up, but the action that takes up the second half of the film tends to be draggy and lacking in standout moments. For as popular as Broly is among the DBZ fandom for being a sadistic hulk, he is largely uninteresting and possesses the most stupid nonsensical villain motivation ever (He wants revenge on Goku because he cried too much?). Another major gripe is the way Vegeta acts out of character throughout. It does not make sense to me that Vegeta would cower from a fight before it begins. Its still interesting to see all four Super Saiyans (Goku, Trunks, Gohan, Vegeta) together in one battle but the overlong runtime and severely anti-climactic ending make this entry one of the weaker links in the DBZ movie canon.
½ November 28, 2012
Introducing one of the most popular characters not to appear in the Manga, as well as expanding upon the story of the Saiyans, Broly: The Legendary Super Saiyan is a pretty solid film.
½ November 22, 2012
Dragonball Z is usually terrible buildup with an incredible payoff, this is the exact opposite.
September 15, 2012
It makes me laugh after watching all these videos in Nicovideo.
September 4, 2012
This is a good movie where they had a Saiyan son born with unimaginalble power and is like unbeatable. But most of all through the hatred of Goku. This film has a good plot and unbealivable action for all Dragon Ball Z fans. 10 out of 10.
August 3, 2012
This is my second favorite, only because the villian Broly is so ruthless and huge, i mean if you wanted to see a muscle have muscles Broly is the perfect example. It's actually ridiculous looking now that I think about it.
July 20, 2012
One of the best dbz movies.
May 8, 2012
one of my favriote movies of all time personaly i dont think they should hav one that fight
May 3, 2012
The greatest movie of all DBZ. The one who for the first time reunite all the super saiyan to fight the most epic adversary in the DBZ universe. This movie have all what the fan love of the serie, and much more. The Final fight is the mother of all of fight.