Dorm - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dorm Reviews

June 27, 2011
More like "Let the Right one In". Not as much horror as a movie about friendship plus the creep factor in some parts. There were many layers of emotions being represented in this film. It was a nice movie to watch but just not one that made me want to watch it again or to excitedly tell someone else about. If you can catch it on Netflix and you like a good story but not a real horror story, than you will enjoy this.
½ January 8, 2010
(*** 1/2): Thumbs Up

One of the best Thai horror films I've seen. Well-acted and directed. A well-paced ghost story that is worth seeking out.
October 21, 2009
Similar to Devil's Backbone, but much sadder and darker. More of a ghost story than a horror but it will leave you in tears at the end :)
½ August 28, 2009
This is a great movie, with more than just suspense and horror. Truthfully, I tuned in at first because it was free and said "horror," but kept watching because it turned out to be deeper than just a ghost story- Mystery and based on a child's struggle for friendship and to accept his life.
½ August 1, 2009
Great film, kept me watching until the end!
July 12, 2009
This isn't particularly scary for a horror film, except for a couple tense jump scenes, but it's still a great Thai film with a moving, well-written story. I guess the oxymoron of "supernatural realism" applies here, since the movie presents issues like death and bullying in a very real manner, but with the added element of ghosts, which allows the filmmaker to explore these issues in a unique and interesting way. It's refreshing that it avoids so many of the ghost story cliches, so I can forgive the fact that the ending still winds up being a little predictable.
July 3, 2009
nice movie...horror daw pero it's not that spooky (believe me)..yet it's good...more of a feel-good type...bilib na talaga ako sa Thai movies...=p
May 13, 2009
To be honest the first time me and my friends read the title "dorm" we thought it was going to be a scary movie. As we watched we questioned, but at the end it was darn a** good. This is an amazing film and being able to watch a young boy gain a friend even if he is a spirit and being able to help him live on is truely remarkable and heartwarming.
½ February 9, 2009
In Thailand, Ton Chatree is sent to a boarding school by his father . He becomes scared with the ghost stories his new schoolmates tell about a boy that died in the swimming pool and a young pregnant woman that committed suicide.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dorm is a supernatural ghost movie that tackles life about friendship, relationship, care, concern and a lot more..it is not a horror or scary as compared to most Asian Movies I've seen but this is quite interesting, touching & entertaining...

Great movie!
½ February 7, 2009
Very good movie. Its not a horror movie at is often categorized. It was a drama/thriller with supernatural aspects to it. A wonderful tale of friendship and coming of age.
January 8, 2009
Comedy, Family, Children, Thriller, Drama. I haven't seen a movie this transgenre since Kontroll. I liked Kontroll a lot more because it had Action and Crime replacing the genres Family and Children. The goofy sounding Thai language only helps so much. It simply tries to be too much and instead of being one good film, it's a collage of several great ones. Kontroll managed to pull off the smorgasbord, Dorm fails. This sucker drags on and on, it's really more of a TV mini-series than a movie.
December 22, 2008
Superb! Superb! The best ghost story i'v ever watched!! but kind of sad too...at the end! Simple story with big surprise!!
½ August 29, 2008
nice little ghost story, lost half a point cuz of chatree's hair, you have to see it to know what i mean...and i don't mean its a bad hairdo!!
July 27, 2008
If a ghost story can be cute, this one definitely is.
July 24, 2008
The suspense and story is just as fantastic as early Guillermo del Toro
July 8, 2008
Not bad, not bad, could be better, but where Dorm wins, (and also disappoints the horror fans) is in the friendship between the two kids. It's absolutely fascinating how successful Asian horrors tend to take a storytelling route, much stronger than their American counterparts.
June 2, 2008
Not so much a horror film as a dark fantasy.
½ May 1, 2008
What could have been a simple story instead opts to become a hybrid coming of age/ghost tale. It tries too hard with too little - dramatic moments fall flat, the few scares offered don't succeed, and the film begins to fall apart half way through. Ultimately, we cannot sympathize with the character because the film can't keep its act together - we go from youths admiring a young baton twirling girl to a ghostly drowning scene in the span of five minutes. While the combination of elements offers a fresh approach to standard themes found in other coming of age tales, it does nothing new with the material.