Dot and the Kangaroo Reviews

• Dec 03, 2012

This children's film is part animation with live backdrops. It's a pro-nature story about a little girl who gets lost in the forest and befriends a kangaroo. It's very Australian and I'm sure very small children will love it. Not surprisingly for the 70's, it gets pretty depressing, what with little Dot crying at the beginning and then crying at the ending. But the songs along the way are adorable and thankfully the film is somewhat educational. The evil spirit of the forest sequence is actually quite creepy. Well done, Mates!

• Jun 04, 2012

I always loved the Dot cartoons when I was young.

I always loved the Dot cartoons when I was young.

• Apr 06, 2012

I watched this movie as a little girl and LOVED IT! It has stuck with me all these years as one of the best movies of my childhood!

• Aug 03, 2011

Loved This Growing up! Excellent Show!

Loved This Growing up! Excellent Show!

• Jan 14, 2010

waaay ahead of its time but cute none the less.

waaay ahead of its time but cute none the less.

• Jun 15, 2009

This is one of those weird re-discoveries via Netflix. My wife says this was one of her favorite movies as a very small child. Kinda a weird one. It's a very sweet story about a kid that gets lost in the woods where a kindly kangaroo takes care of her. It's hard to review this one without taking into account the timeframe in which it was made. The filmmakers applied standard hand drawn animation cels over backgrounds which were shot with normal cinematography, so the look is somewhat akin to those Sesame Street shorts where they would take one of their animated characters and try to have it interact with live footage of a dolphin or something like that. In short, the look is a bit clumsy, and it's hard not to be distracted by that. The pacing is a bit slow, and there is a very awkward fascination with very simple animation cycles that have a tendency to become very repetitive. I'd say that the music is a saving grace here. It's got a very sweet, very cute, very catchy silliness to it that's pretty charming. But all in all, the repeated animation cycles make everything feel like its going on way too long, and the artistry is honestly not particularly detailed. So it takes patience to get what's in there, and what's in there isn't particularly original. It's not horrible, but believe, me, it helps if you have something similar to my wife's nostalgic affection for the film.

• Apr 14, 2009

I loved this movie when I was a child. I want to see it again, where can I get it???

• Mar 16, 2009

Remember liking this when I was 7 but not much else. They did have a cool cell animation over film backgrounds which was nice though.

• Mar 12, 2009

OMG i loved this when i was younger how sad am i lol

OMG i loved this when i was younger how sad am i lol

• Mar 06, 2009

primitive animation, but should be suitable for kids. i was half expecting a "watership down" moment of bloody violence but it never happened