Dottie Gets Spanked - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dottie Gets Spanked Reviews

½ March 22, 2014
This is a weird little short film from early in the career of Todd Haynes, who would go on to direct films like Safe, Far from Heaven, Velvet Goldmine, and I'm Not There. This one feels like it's probably autobiographical, presenting a traumatic memory from Haynes's past. It's about a possibly effeminate 6-year-old boy in the 1950s whose one passion in life is "The Dottie Frank Show," a thinly disguised version of "I Love Lucy." I won't go into too much more detail, except to point out that this movie has an unusually high amount of spanking, as the title might suggest. It feels like watching Haynes go through his own psychological issues, but it works well and effectively evokes a 1950s atmosphere. Worth checking out if you're a Haynes fan.
½ December 5, 2010
a visually enchanting movie, with a story that could have been shorter
½ February 20, 2010
One of those movies in the same genre as "Welcome to the Dollhouse" that portrays the alienating, excruciating experience that was childhood in the seventies. This little gem portrays the nascense of our young protagonist's spanking fetish, complete with awkward run-ins with the kid's parents and close-ups on little girls butts... and then abruptly ends. My DVD also has another film in the special features produced by a Todd Haynes, a spoof on the clay-mation Davey & Goliath, that I actually liked more than Dottie Gets Spanked.
½ July 13, 2009
the kid is so cute!! xD i didnt get the movie tho.....
December 29, 2008
Sandwiched between Poison and Safe, Haynes's filling-in-the-spanks of any would-be over-mothered nancy boy hits squarely home. The constipated 50s provide fecund ground for protagonist's Stevie's beaver-leaving, lily-Lucy-gilding, and the ultimate burial of his fetishizing. Production values and costume design wow. A sort of Haynes confessional.
November 24, 2008
Funny concept and character, but goes nowhere and the kid is creepy man.
November 22, 2008
One of the best short films...hell, one of the best films I've seen.
½ October 27, 2008
The trials and tribulations of a so-called Femanino.
This short film brings you to a place in childhood that deals with shame, embarrassment and curiosity related to interests one may have that is unlike the others.
August 25, 2008
1: following its namesake, along with Poison and Superstar, is a signature shot of a child of during the process of being spanked.

2: family is seen as source of confusion and repression

3: Lucille Ball of "I Love Lucy" serves as the source of Dottie (i.e. "The Dottie Show")

4: What is (American Independent) Cinema? borrow from German Expressionism and classic film noir
August 10, 2008
Cheio de cenas de sonhos e tal.
Interessante.
½ July 22, 2008
An enjoyable 30 min.
July 14, 2008
Mildly provocative look at childhood sexual development that's worth exactly 30 minutes of your life.
July 1, 2008
Really sweet, really funny, really honest and touching short film by Todd Haynes.
Really inspired and totally on the mark.
Highly recommended for fans of his work.
May 3, 2008
1‚??following its namesake‚??along with Poison and Superstar ‚??is a signature shot of a child of during the process of being spanked.
2‚??family is seen as source of confusion and repression
3‚??Lucille Ball of ‚??I Love Lucy‚?? serves as the source of Dottie (i.e. ‚??The Dottie Show‚??)
4‚??What is (American Independent) Cinema? borrow from German Expressionism and classic film noir
April 27, 2008
I really enjoyed this short. Todd Haynes nails not just the period (50's/60's), but also the POV of a six-year-old (burgeoning gay) boy.
March 16, 2008
2‚??family is seen as source of confusion and repression
February 5, 2008
Interesting Todd Haynes short film. It lacks the depth of his features, but at thirty minutes that's pretty much expected. As always, it's visually compelling and has some great sequences because of this. It's just too bad that those visuals are really all that stands out.