Double Whammy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Double Whammy Reviews

½ May 26, 2015
Tom DiCillo, apparently, has a pretty good reputation as far as independent filmmakers are concerned. He's, obviously, not quite Jim Jarmusch as far as reputation goes. I say apparently because, other than this, as far as I can remember, I have not seen any one of his movies. This is not really meant as a knock of DiCillo's skills or talents as a screenwriter/director, but this film is not particularly good. What I mean is the fact that, at least before the halfway mark of the film, there's not much of anything really going on here. Yes, Ray Pluto finds himself in situations that make him look like the worst cop possible, even if he is not to blame, and he's also dealing with the emotional aftermath of his wife and daughter being killed during a hit-and-run. But I just don't felt that it really led to absolutely anything. There is a scene where Ray has a flashback to the day of the accident. Several characters also bring it up, but this flashback scene is the only moment where Ray faces it head-on and it's just not particularly good either. Maybe it's that Dennis Leary isn't that good of an actor to pull off the tortured part. I think he's good in comedies, but I wouldn't count on him for more serious stuff, like, you guessed it, having to have the weight of the world on his back due to this accident. I'm just not drawn into it, really and it's not like the film makes it a big part of the film. It doesn't really play part into the "main" narrative. I put that in quotation marks because, as I said, the film is really, for the most part, about nothing. The film does try once it gets halfway through in that Ray is trying to search for the criminals that almost killed the superintendent of his apartment complex. It's not like it's a good narrative or that you care about it. By this point, really, it's much too late to get started. There's also the whole romance subplot, which feels totally out-of-place here. And I don't think that Dennis Leary and Elizabeth Hurley had much chemistry to begin with, so it makes buying into them as a couple all the more difficult. I just find the whole thing tonally very inconsistent. There's moments where the film is silly and quirky and there's other parts where it's super serious to the point that the film is a mockery of itself. As far as comedy, there's really none to speak of. I mean it has its moments, but I found this all to be horrifically unfunny for the most part. It's certainly easy to watch, it's not very long, and it's competently made, technically speaking. But when you talk about putting together story and characters, it's an absolute fucking mess. Cast is decent, but they can't really do much to save this from the hole that it digs for itself. Not the worst movie I've ever seen, but I do actually regret watching this. Not that it's terrible or idiotic, it's just that I felt I wasted my time watching this. I didn't get anything out of this. I don't think apathy counts, but if it did then there's that. Not something you should avoid like the plague, but it's not very good either. There's better stuff to occupy your time with. Like watching paint dry, maybe.
December 7, 2014
Steve Buscemi is gay! Movie doesn't make much sense
May 23, 2013
uneven but somewhat enjoyable.
March 12, 2012
In a long line of off-beat comedies, "Double Whammy" has to come in as one of the twistiest out there. It never quite figures out what kind of movie it wants to be, making it an oddly enjoyable viewing experience. Sure, "Double Whammy" isn't anything special nor does it ever try to be. It's small-time, peculiar, original, and entertaining. This is a clever little motion picture.
August 14, 2011
Certainly not a great film, but very underrated. I thought it was very funny. Offbeat, but very funny.
August 10, 2011
Very underrated... not bad and hilarious
½ April 12, 2011
nice action-cum comedy movie..
learn new words from this movie too..
½ December 30, 2010
I lost some brain cells trying to watch this
September 15, 2010
A meddled mess of stories that manage to bump into each other, but fail to connect in any coherent manner. Leary offered up a lackluster lead and Buscemi's character was so poorly written that he never had a chance. DiCillo definitely disappointed in this one. At least we had Elizabeth Hurley to gaze at for a few scenes.

I rate this 42/100

Review # 10
August 13, 2010
A black comedy from Tom DiCillo that has a lot going on in it and is just plain bizarre in places. It's worth watching for Denis Leary and Steve Buscemi's performances and there are some real laughs in it although most of the characters are just too weird for mass public consumption (the scriptwriters and teenager who hires thugs to kill her father)...which could definitely be attractive to some!
½ August 3, 2010
Nem mesmo actores como Denis Leary ou Steve Buscemi salvam o filme... Uma comédia / drama medíocre.
½ May 28, 2010
I assume that this was meant to be a comedy, as it starred Dennis Leary. Problem is, it isn't funny. Not much good as a drama either.

Pretty contrived, predictable, unfunny and boring.
October 6, 2009
hyva pikkuleffa epaonnisesta poliisista. Leffan vahvuus on onnistuneet hahmot ja se etta ollaan tietoisesti lahdetty tekemaan taman tason elokuvaa eika tavoiteltu kuuta taivaalta. Nain lopputulos on parempi kuin osiensa summa.
½ September 6, 2009
This is a good underrated movie. The cast is an interesting mix, Guzman, Buscemi, Faison and Leary in particular have a lot of fun with their roles. This is a nice little independent film.
August 6, 2009
I enjoyed this flick
June 17, 2009
Why can't I find a female chiropractor like this?
June 17, 2009
I love Denis Leary on the TV series 'Rescue Me' but this movie was lackluster!
April 5, 2009
Crazy and funny situations comedy:) I like performance by Denis, Steve and Elizabeth and I love the soundtrack. It's just great!
January 20, 2009
Just couldn't keep me engaged at all. Kept drifting away from it and didn't find it funny really. Probably laughed once. One to avoid really.
September 23, 2008