Down to the Bone - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Down to the Bone Reviews

April 10, 2012
Oddly enough this is an earlier film from the same director that did "Winters Bone" which was nominated for Oscars a couple years back which I loved. This was okay but the only decent actress in the whole movie was Vera Farmiga. The rest of the cast seemed like they were drug of the streets to appear in it.
March 26, 2012
Real and authentic, reminds me of my home town and problems that consistently go on there (and probably still do), these kind of films are why I much rather watch indie movies. Better stories, often better acting and everything is down to the bone (no pun intended)
February 25, 2012
A mom of two, Irene (Vera Farmiga) has been addicted to cocaine for years. Her husband Steve (Clint Jordan) uses, but not nearly as much. When Irene tries to use her son's birthday check from Grandma to buy drugs, she knows it's time to check into rehab. She meets Bob (Hugh Dillon), a nurse in the rehab center who's been clean for five years, and they start to have an affair. Irene manages to get clean, but it's so fragile that the tiniest thing can plunge her right back into addiction, and does. This movie really brings home how easy it is to get caught up in that rat race and how incredibly hard it is to get off-and stay off. Vera Farmiga is great, as always. I thought it was very realistic and I liked the ending. I recommend Down to the Bone and give it an 85%.
November 23, 2011
sounds like a soap opera
October 19, 2011
i will watch it for a spectacular performance by Vera Farmiga
October 4, 2011
While watching I kept wondering why "Down To The Bone" was reminding me of "Winter's Bone" and to my pleasant surprise I found out it was directed by the same person. Debra Granik is quickly becoming a director to look out for, as this feature debut comes close to matching the excellent oscar nominated "Winter's Bone", a film she made 7 years later. Though slow at points "Down To The Bone" is a fascinating look at your 'average junkie' and her attempts to get out of drug addiction. It builds sympathy within Vera Farmiga's performance, only to tear it down in its world... which is exactly what makes this movie great. There's aspects of formalism, with slight twists that make it burst out of cliche. Every time the film could falter it's held up by a smart screenplay and down-to-the-bone performances.
September 1, 2011
Down to the Bone is realistic, which I like, but boring, which I don't. 4/10
July 31, 2011
The great thing about netflix is how you can go back in time and catch movies you never seen before. I've always liked Vera Farmiga as an actress and Down to the Bone will show you why. This a great movie with great acting about a woman struggling with addiction in upstate NY. This movie does a great job at showing that staying clean is all about you and only you. That it is something you can only do for you and noone else. Great movie. A definite must see. Once again Vera shows why she is one of the best actresess in Hollywood.
July 28, 2011
DOWN TO THE BONE is a gritty tale that shows the effects of drug abuse and addiction on the user and the people in her life. Vera Farmiga delivers one of the besr performances of her carrer along with an outstanding directorial debut by Debra Granik (WINTER'S BONE).
July 27, 2011
Evocative and uncompromising look at drug addiction. Vera Farmiga is a force of nature.
½ July 6, 2011
Not a bad film, but a little too long for my liking. It was very realistic and Vera Farmiga is outstanding. The direction is nice for Granik's first film and after watching Winter's Bone you can see her development. She appears to have big things ahead.
½ May 24, 2011
This AWESOME movie is about "thirteenth stepping: when you get too lazy, too horny... you get distracted... you know, when you got that hole inside and you just need to fill it". Realistic and Powerfull.
April 1, 2011
Top notch acting that is mildly pointless - like the lives the characters lead... this movie also rejects the notion that being a crackhead is simply a result of not working
½ March 27, 2011
I thought WINTER'S BONE was a strong film so I decided to check out Debra Granik's earlier film. Since Vera Farmiga is one of my favorite actresses it was an easy sell. DOWN TO THE BONE is just as solid. It's another drug culture film, but it's very understated and speaks about two films worth of ideas through crafty direction, smart writing and great performances. Granik seems to know as well as anybody that everything doesn't have to be spelled out or overly dramatized, that what you don't show or tell is as important as what you do. I'm impressed.
March 24, 2011
What this movie lacks in entertainment value, it more than makes up for with its sincerity and insight -- both qualities that are exemplified harrowingly by lead Vera Farmiga, whose performance here is of star-making caliber by anyone's measure, and should have been nominated for an Oscar.
March 24, 2011
½ December 8, 2010
i am a fan of ms. farmiga and she doesn't dissapoint in this film as she gives a stirring portrayal of an addict trying to get her life togerther.......a strong supporting cast of interesting and believable characters is a big plus also. from director debra granik, who also directed winter's bone, a possible oscar contender this year......highly recommended.
November 13, 2010
Junk movie! JUNK SUBJECT!
½ November 2, 2010
Effective indie drama about alcoholism and drug addiction with a good central performance by Vera Farmiga. Debra Granik, who's "Winter's Bone" is one of 2010 best movies, directs in a non-preachy low key manner, which you don't often find in films about addiction.
November 1, 2010
Heavy , hard, spleeny real.