Down and Derby - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Down and Derby Reviews

January 5, 2016
If you have Cub Scouts they will greatly enjoy this movie and fully apprecieate the dilemma.
½ February 18, 2014
Not terrible, but not terribly great. The boys, and Lauren Holly put on the most believable performances, but the characters of the Dads are just so far over the top, it loses the plot at a couple of points. To be redeemable, characters have to retain some likeability, but the three Dads in this just go way too far. I totally got the point, but I think it could have been done without the hyper-theatrics.
½ February 25, 2013
Reminds me of my Scoutting days.
½ March 5, 2012
The intensely competitive world of Pine Derby Racing is examined. In this kid-friendly tale of three fathers and the obsession of competition. That not only threatens their sanity, but their families as well.

Very cliched, almost to the point of parody. But, it is fun to watch.
July 29, 2009
Its a harmless, squeeky clean family comedy that has not that much to offer. Their is a really funny scene at a dentists office, but thats about it as far as the laughs go. But since its primarily set in the world of the Cub Scouts Pinewood Derby, families that have scouts in them might possibly be the only ones interested in this film. But even then, though, they still might not really be too thrilled about a movie based off of Pinewood Derby. Pat Morita is greatly wasted in his brief four or five minute appearence....not really helping the movie at all.
June 24, 2009
This was a pretty funny flick...enjoyed it. I'd recommend it for a good family movie.
½ April 23, 2009
If you're in the mood, there's a bit of entertainment to be found here.
March 14, 2009
It's funny bcause it is true. My dad never got into the derby (of course i hated scouts so he never really had a chance) but a lot of parents I know took over their kids cars. Some of the acting is really funny one big let down is the big billing of Mr. Miagi (crap I can't remember his real name and am too lazy to look it up). The vibe is that he is on screen quite a bit and has an important role, truth is he is on screen for less than 3 min. and could have been cut and not lost a thing to the script. Still don't hesitate to watch this as a family activity it is good clean fun.
½ December 30, 2008
Unless you've experienced the Pinewood Derby yourself this movie won't be nearly as funny as it will be for someone who has. The funniest part is that this movie isn't as hyperbolic as you might think. Good farcical humor
½ December 6, 2008
This is my first review - and I will do my best to be honest. Because I defend people for a living, I may have been a bit generous in this review (I was tempted to give it a 6, instead of the 7 that I gave it). [color=Red][b] I don't like to bash something that is not worthy of bashing, and in my opinion, this is not a bashable movie. [/b][/color]

Here are the [color=Red]movie's strengths[/color]: The beginning and ending were fairly fun to watch. It was family friendly, for example, there was no profanity, no kids sassing off to their parents in an over the top way, and no violence or sex. Moreover, I loved the concept, and the movie had some cute lead actors with some fun lines. I thought the camera work (cinematography) overall was pretty good. The young kids in the movie performed fairly well. I watched this with my wife and five kids, and it held their interest throughout. [color=Red]We even paused it when somebody had to use the restroom.

Weaknesses[/color]: Had the scenes been shorter, the movie would have been much, much better - the middle of the movie dragged on a bit, but was still watchable (at times my kids got a bit restless). I was a bit disappointed with the acting of the male leads (the movie actually had some good actors!) at times, and the female lead was just flat out [i]terrible[/i] (Lauren Holly). I felt the kids should have played a bigger role. The "bad guy" could have been featured a bit more, too. I did not think the movie was predictable, and the ending surprised (but disappointed) me a bit. Another weakness is written at the end of this posting, but do NOT read it unless you want to ruin the move before you see it.)

Because it is so tough to find good films for families that are not totally sappy, I am not going to beat up on this film. Overall, I liked it, and if your family has seen everything, and is looking for a cute movie, this is a good - but not excellent - one. I have seen some Hollywood flops, and I would NOT put this in that category by any means.[color=DarkGreen][b] It was worth what I paid for the DVD. [/b][/color] The movie will be funnier to those who have actually taken part in the Pinewood Derby, which would be zillions of Mormons, who support the Cub Scouts like Catholics support Notre Dame football. In fact, I think this movie was in essence a movie made for Mormons that was cleverly disguised as a movie for a general audience. Why do I say that? Well, the actors (the dads) all had wives that actually lived with them, were white or Latino, and the "delivery guy" of the Derby "Bibles" has been featured in MANY sappy Mormon films. Of course, non-Mormons would likely not see these nuances, but to a Mormon whose seen many LDS flicks, this film will certainly come across as [i][b]very[/b][/i] Mormon. In fact, I bought it from Seagull Books in Utah, which is a Mormon bookstore.

[color=Red]My alternative ending[/color]: [b][i]I think it would have been better if the winning child's car had actually placed second to that of his own father[/i][/b]. It seemed ludicrous to me that the dad's car would lose a wheel when it was worked on for more than 100 hours. I felt there was just no way a car of that quality would simply fall apart. I don't like it when writers contradict themselves. First the car is the best in the world, then a wheels falls off. Oh yeah, sure, the three men who put it together simply forgot to nail it in properly. Give me a break! Had the father won, he would have felt like mud, and he would have gotten his just desserts. He could have apologized publicly, etc. I thought that allowing his car to just peeter out was a TOTAL cop out.
½ August 6, 2008
I didn't like this. Occasional funny moments, but the main actor goes to such extremes of macho competition that the movie made me uncomfortable on his behalf. I don't find it entertaining when someone breaks into someone else's house to cheat in a Pine Derby. Thumbs down, way down.
June 9, 2008
If you have EVER had to build a Pinewood Derby car for your Boy Scout, this is a must!
½ June 1, 2008
i guess the movie achieves what it wants to.. but still a waste of two hours.. (if you have something better to do)
October 20, 2007
This shows how obsessed fathers can be and is hilarious to boot!
½ September 23, 2007
If you have built one, you will get it.
½ September 20, 2007
If you were involved in the Pinewood Derby as a youngster, this movie will bring back some memories. Funny stuff.
½ September 3, 2007
One of the best pinewood derby movies I've ever seen. Hank, a down and out cub scout troop leader, takes the Plymouth Pinewood Rats to the championship on nothing more than a gallon of Gatorade, some old shoes, and pure will. I cried twice.
June 21, 2007
cute idea, but it drags
½ December 10, 2006
Waste of TIME!! Very Weak movie, DO NOT WATCH, if you do end up watching it, side effects may include: Suicide, murder ramapages, road ramapage, any kinds of ways of harming yourself, and many others...
November 27, 2006
Funny story how a guy over comes his grudge against another guy in a pinewood derby race.