Down from the Mountain - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Down from the Mountain Reviews

½ March 31, 2012
A very enjoyable concert film and a must see for any fan of O Brother, Where Art Thou?.
December 26, 2011
We saw the Stage show of Down from the Mountain and was the most entertaining concert we ever experienced. Each performance had a different cast of characters so those in the show that we enjoyed are not in this documentary. Still would like to see this.
½ January 23, 2011
Excellent music, some great old-timey stuff going on here...
September 16, 2010
The good: Absolutely beautiful, spine-tingling music, better than the studio soundtrack. Intimate close-ups with the musicians before the show. The bad: Two of the concert tracks were interrupted to cut to backstage. Bad move. And, inexplicably, the foot-stompin' classic, "Man of Constant Sorrow" is curiously absent from the performance. Overall, I almost gave this more than 4 stars. Anything that makes my spine tingle that much in the course of an hour usually deserves it. I was left wanting just a little bit more, though. The quality is somewhere between breathtaking concert and DVD featurette.
½ October 9, 2009
Thoroughly enjoyable, well produced. Amazing lineup. Perhaps even better than the soundtrack. Love the behind-the-scenes bits...especially Emmy Lou keeping tab on the baseball scores....and Gillian Welch needing to get dressed up. Shows the agelessness of American roots music. A must-see for every Americana music fan.
March 9, 2009
A little boring and disappointing.
February 16, 2009
This was very cool. Of course, I loved the music of "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" I think that movie really introduced me to bluegrass.
½ February 8, 2009
Actually saw this live! Ralph Stanley singing "O Death"! 10 rows back-outdoors. Beats the dvd and cd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But if you missed it-this is a great DVD showing the premier performance before the film was released. What amazing American icons of talent.
August 25, 2008
Saw this with my drummer and we both cried.
April 10, 2008
I'll eat an Irish grape farmer's Scottish terrier before I watch this eggnog-o-rama.
March 17, 2008
A performance inspired by the success of the soundtrack, although it doesn't adhere religiously to its tracklisting. Nonetheless, actually seeing the likes of John Hartford performing 'Old Rock Candy Mountain' or Ralph Stanley singing 'O Death,' or Emmylou Harris, Gillian Welch and Alison Krauss harmonising on 'Didn't Leave Nobody But the Baby' sends shivers down the spine. The documentary aspect is fascinating as well, serving to proselytise for a type of music which despite its heritage, is too often ignored whilst providing a moving tribute to the enormous talent and warmth of the late John Hartford.
March 9, 2008
The music from Oh Brother...
October 22, 2007
Anyone who likes (or has a passing acquiaintance to) bluegrass music cannot pass up on this DVD.
½ October 1, 2007
Good music. Not major film- just music, buy the CD if you like this stuff rather than watching it.
June 10, 2007
A lovely swan song for the late, great John Hartford. The rest of the performers ain't bad either. :-)
June 6, 2007
I saw the tour live, and it was pretty good.
½ January 7, 2007