Down in the Valley - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Down in the Valley Reviews

½ May 20, 2012
Los fanaticos de "Taxi Driver" y "Cape Fear" de Martin Scorsese quedaran con la boca abierta al ver este negrisimo relato acerca de un vaquero (ecos de "MIdnight Cowboy"), interpretado por un excelente Edward Norton que no logra adaptarse a los tiempos modernos y que pierde el principio de realidad al encontrar el amor en una joven (EVan Rachel Wood) y la admiracion en un chico solitario (Kieran Culkin). Una gran cinta que aunque pierde toda logica en su escena final, quedara en la mente, en el corazon y en las terminales nerviosas del espectador.
April 19, 2012
Havent Seen it but will rent it
April 18, 2012
Loved it! Edward norton has always been my favorite actor. He can play a crazy person so convincingly and always looks sexy! This movie reaffirmed my skepticism in people!! man, that was hard core GOOD! :))
April 18, 2012
A cerebral romance with wonderful performances from Ed Norton, Evan Rachel Wood, Rory Culkin, & David Morse.
March 17, 2012
It shows that parents no matter how strict they are, mostly have a right judgement on characters !
March 14, 2012
The two leads are amazing actors, and the trailer looked good even if people's reviews aren't. C'est la vie I say... Let me make up my own mind!
½ March 2, 2012
Edward Norton gives another amazing and Oscar-worthy performance in a movie that could have used help with a better ending.
½ February 17, 2012
While Wood and Norton give it their best it just kinda goes awry and by the end i didn't quite understand what was i suppose to have learnt from this movie.
February 8, 2012
good movie, very well acted
½ January 4, 2012
This move was made awesome by David Morse! He had his Hack Series look and attitude going on from season 2 in this movie and I LOVED it! Bad ass!
December 27, 2011
Harlan is surreal yet easy to relate to in all his earnest self who believes in something bigger than the essential being , delusional yet sincere , norton lends an air of credibility to the character that makes one review their own system of beliefs , not always doing what one would do normally he engages ones sympathy for having his heart in the right place , norton lends an air of vulnerability to the character , perfectly in sync with the lead of evan rachel wood , a free spirit with both of them being unconventional yet relatable , worthy performance by culkin , his silence contains a distinct sense of discomfort with himself and embodies a voice that is often drowned by his protective strong father , a good movie , gives a different perspective on things
December 8, 2011
I liked Down in the Valley. I have Down in the Valley on DVD. Tobe and Harlan were in my favorites in Down in the Valley
½ November 28, 2011
Slow moving at times, but a fantastic performance from the entire cast. Nicely done!
November 21, 2011
great movie edward under credited as always
November 10, 2011
Edward Norton plays Harlan, a Cowboy, an example of a man who's born in the wrong era, who now tries to find his place in the modern world. He has the virtues and the courage of a real-life cowboy and likes his colt and his horse.

He happens to fall in love with Tobe, a rebellious teenager who has a complicated relationship with her father Wade. Tobe has a younger Brother, Lonnie, a shy and calm boy who is in a difficult position within the family. Relations between these four characters now begin to develop and Harlan rubs Wade the wrong way with his Western behaviour and views (although they're not so different after all).

Down in the Valley combines good acting by the always great Edward Norton, a very hot Evan Rachel Wood and an excellent David Morse with a thoughtful character study, that unfortunately falls apart a bit in the second half of the film. Nevertheless a decent flick - especially for Norton fans.
October 11, 2011
A few more snores then thrills in this thriller, but makes for a somewhat good drama.
½ September 18, 2011
I can't think of a moment where I stopped caring for the characters and wondering who was right or wrong... It would be a shame if people traded that experience for the comfort of watching MI3, and the movie got ignored during its theatrical release. It's a rare, full bodied experience that should be explored.
August 19, 2011
Actors made this story great
July 14, 2011
Sort of an indie modern western spin on Taxi Driver. Well crafted, but ultimately doesn't quite live up to its potential.
June 7, 2011
A beautiful movie, beautifully shot, leaving you with the memory of beautiful picture's. The story is not easy to digest, it leaves you puzzled, but that is not a bad thing, in my opinion.
The acting of the protagonists is very fine.First of all Edward Norton and Rory Culkin.
The magic between them is very rare in some scenes, especially in the first additional ending. Those additional endings, there are two of them on my DVD, could be seen as a flaw, but I found it something
special,you could say that every piece of art that is rounded off is the death-mask of the conception, like Walter Benjamin once said.
I am sure I will see this movie more than once.