Down Periscope - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Down Periscope Reviews

March 5, 2019
A competent war movie that examines the trials and tribulations of an ageing submarine with stellar performances. A must see for war historians.
February 19, 2019
As a retired Navy veteran I loved the tongue in cheek story. A lot of fun to watch
January 28, 2019
A very funny movie I recommend it to anybody that enjoys a good slapstick comedy
April 9, 2018
Fun movie. Good pacing and while nothing special it's still a enjoyable romp.
½ September 4, 2017
Rotten Tomatoes's critics are mostly idiots.
August 22, 2017
Police Academy on a submarine
April 30, 2017
4/30/2017: Much better than I anticipated. Quite a few funny moments and a very funny cast.
½ March 18, 2017
Have always had a fondness for this formulaic underdogs comedy.
March 3, 2017
Its not a masterpiece but its really fun to watch
November 2, 2016
The movie is funny and entertaining. I watch it every time its on TV.
August 7, 2016
Severely underrated. Absolutely hilarious.
½ June 13, 2016
A buffoon and his crew must follow out a mission; playing enemy in their clunky outdated submarine against the government's new high tech sub. It's a comedy vehicle for Kelsey Grammar, however, the previous years "McHales Navy " seems superior to this familiar concept.
September 17, 2015
What a great movie. I just love it. It has the fat guy who works at the Subway in the King of Queens. The action, the comedy, it's a really fun movie. I don't know why it only scored 12%. They really, really should have made a sequel.
Bruce Dern (typically plays evil guys), playing Admiral Graham and Rob Schneider play Marty Pascal really creates the clashing-synergy that makes this movie great.
May 19, 2015
A silly and fun sea adventure with a great cast and great dialogue. Sure it's cheesy now, but remember, this was the 90s
May 13, 2015
One of my favorite "pick me up" comedies. This movie always brings a smile to my face.
April 28, 2015
Another all too wet parody movie....friggin yeah.
April 12, 2015
My all-time favorite movie. I have no CLUE why the Tomatometer level is so low. I love this movie, it's hilarious. I literally once watched it twice in a row just because I liked it so much.
½ March 15, 2015
I love submarine movies. Films like "Run Silent, Run Deep" and "The Hunt for Red October" show the kind of intense thriller that filmmakers can craft with a submarine setting. "Down Periscope," on the other hand, shows what happens when a studio puts a few million dollars in the wrong hands and says make a comedy. The dung begins with the brilliant (<---- sarcasm) casting of both Kelsey Grammar AND Rob Schneider (together again for the first time). So I presume the line of thinking went something like, "Well, Kelsey Grammar is mediocre at best. Let's hedge our bets and cast Rob Schneider, who's just plain God-awful." The plot of this feces sees Grammar as a Navy officer finally given a command, but of an old diesel sub. He's pitted against a nuclear sub in war games to sink a decommissioned battleship. Now I bet you're asking yourself: War games--where's the peril? Nothing is at stake. Where's the thrust in the plot that grabs the audience and pushes forward the story to a climax? Well, coincidentally (<---- sarcasm), I, too, found myself asking this question. A race by two subs to sink an empty battleship in a game. Well, I have to torpedo this movie: It sucks mule d*ck (I think Roger Ebert said the very same thing about "Funny Girl"). And seriously, Rob Schneider? Has he ever said a funny word in his life? Has he ever done a funny thing? Ever? Had the filmmakers tied Rob Schneider to a pommel horse and brought in Ving Rhames to violate Schneider with an assortment of unusually large phallic objet d'art for 90 minutes, THEN Rob Schneider would be funny. So, in summary, if you're looking for something to watch and your only choice is "Down Periscope," then instead, shove shards of glass under your fingernails then dip your hands in lemon juice. Same difference.
½ February 1, 2015
Set sail for hilarity with the goofball comedy Down Periscope. When the Navy schedules a series of war games to see if a rogue vessel could breach their defenses, Lt. Cmdr. Tom Dodge is assigned an antiquated diesel sub and given a ragtag crew of misfits to attempt the impossible. Starring Kelsey Grammer, Lauren Holly, Rob Schneider, Bruce Dern, and Rip Torn, the film has a good cast that's well suited for this style of slapstick humor. Still, the comedy gets a little too cartoonish at times and goes overboard with the silly antics of this pirate-esque group of sailors. But overall, most of the jokes work and deliver a boat load of laughs. While it can be juvenile and formulaic, Down Periscope is also entertaining and a lot of fun.
½ January 18, 2015
Alors qu'il n'y absolument de rien de groundbreaking dans Down Periscope, la comédie réalisée par David S. Ward se trouve être un film extrêmement sympathique, grâce au casting parfait, composé entre autres des excellents Kelsey Grammer (dont c'était seulement le deuxième film au cinéma), Rip Torn, Bruce Dern, Lauren Holly et Rob Schneider. Constamment amusante et jamais vraiment lourde malgré un gros nombre de gags à la minute, cette comédie mérite un peu plus de reconnaissance.