Down to the Dirt Reviews

• Oct 20, 2012

down to the dirt attempts to represent newfoundland but these characters aren't like any newfoundlanders i know. i don't think that the story is unique to newfoundland but one of universal young adult angst. we fight so hard not to be our parents, to prove that we are unique from the masses only to realize in the end, once we've hit rock bottom, that the only people that truly care are those that we fought hardest against. good thing parents love and accept us no matter how badly we treat them.

• Jun 18, 2012

Ungh...Overly long negative affair with characters who hardly end being redeeming. Sad cuz its from Canada. Blech!

• Apr 03, 2011

A very honest to god newfie movie, it really don't more newfie than this movie. Can't say it is well done but it is a honest telling of Newfies who live in the coves.

• Nov 07, 2009

Ok Maybe I like it because it shows what it 's like to grow up in a small East Coast town. Every town has " THIS GUY"

• Corey n Super Reviewer
    Oct 27, 2009

This is a Canadian film about two young Newfoundlanders angry at the world. This young man and girl fall in love and leave their small home and move to the city of St. John's. Everything is fine at first but they grow apart. The girl then moves to Halifax, NS and the young man follows shortly after to try and get her back. Of course his life is crashing around him because or drugs and alcohol. This is a very odd film at times. I could never seem to relate or like the young man. He was angry with life but they never really got into why he was. Not a bad ending to the film. But overall I found this to be a odd and at times boring movie.

• Audrey L Super Reviewer
    Oct 03, 2009

This film is a depressing coming-of-age story based upon Newfoundland author Joel Hynes' first novel. It's gritty and dirty in the depiction of the main character's plummet from small community- troubled teen to a drug and alcohol addicted young man bent on self destruction.The author portrays the main character quite well and has some promise as an artist and author. I have'nt read the book but the film is OK...It's immature in development and chock full of cliches but this young man does a decent job of portraying his main character's angst and eventual enlightenment. A very good first project...

• Jun 16, 2009

i got seriously bored nauseated.... could have better, with a better depiction of realism...

• Jun 10, 2009

Good coming of age story, I enjoy the use of language in this flick, tastefully done.

• Jun 06, 2009

Really enjoyed this. Had the cove life down flat. Favorite quote: "Want somethin to drink?" "Sure." "want some mix in it?" "Nah, mix is what kills ya, eh by'."

• Mar 22, 2009

an interest atlantic canadian film, with newfoundlanders taking the spotlight. a good devon sawa like performance from the star and writer joel hynes. what i took away from this film was that it was a story of a man who hadn't quite grown up yet. instead he was full of angst and hate, and had no direction to go with it. definitely one of the better candaian films, although it doesn't have mass appeal, but still good.