Downloaded - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Downloaded Reviews

½ April 6, 2015
Mildly interesting. I do remember Napster. I wasn't a user myself, so that's why it's not overly riveting to me. I think it would be very interesting for someone who used it regularly.
July 11, 2013
***
Here's a documentary by Alex Winter(yeah, Bill from "Bill and Ted) about the rise and fall of Napster. I'll never forget the first time I used Napster, and how it was mind-blowing to have every song you could ever want to listen to a click away. You get a good account from the people that were there, who made it and the battles they fought over it. It's very informative, but it does feel a little rushed at times. I remember seeing all the news footage from when it went on. It covers the whole Metallica thing, and how Napster eventually died off. Very interesting stuff. Also, I had no idea Sean Parker was also involved in Spotify. The guy helped start Napster, Facebook, and Spotify. That's insane. After watching it, it really made me think about how Napster honestly changed the world and the way we consume entertainment. Good movie that everyone who enjoys music on the interest should check out, especially if you don't know anything about Napster or it's impact.
September 8, 2015
As with Napster itself, the film feels a little dated. Technology has moved on from that time in the late 90s/early 2000s when Napster rocked an industry. It is nonetheless well polished and interesting look at how the industry changed and was forced belatedly to adapt to new customer demands.
December 2, 2014
Remember Napster? Nostalgia and only would be the only reason to enjoy this documentary. In terms of new information, it does not provide much (if you were around in 1999 that is).
July 19, 2014
Director Alex Winter does a great job of telling this story in a way that is engaging and fast paced.
½ December 20, 2015
La historia de Napster es muy interesante por ser el primer servicio de P2P de música con una base de afiliados gigante y como empezó el cambio de la industria musical. Sin embargo el director llena los 106 minutos de entrevistas aburridas y largas y parece mas que fuera el material que recogió para hacer el trabajo como si no existiera la edición. Todo lo que contó se podría resumir en 15 minutos.
January 3, 2015
super intresting, you see how much napster has effected the world and still is today. A little BS from the Napster creators about what it was created for. It does slant toward Napter a bit but still so much good info and perspectives.
December 11, 2014
A really fascinating look at the music industry's hopeless attempt to retain control in the early 2000´s by shutting down Napster
October 7, 2014
Interesting to take a look back on things we all went through, though this does feel like a "longer then needed" movie.
½ June 23, 2013
This is a movie about idealism and vision. This whole situation could have been solved early on had the music people gotten together with Napster and come up with a business model where everyone wins. Instead the courts and lawyers are the only one who win. And as for Metalica and Dr. dre, I will never put another dime in their pockets.
½ September 2, 2014
I thought it was going to be about digital music in general and not just Napster ... Still it was a well told documentary, very interesting & informative. I still think Napster deserved to be shut down anyway.
August 14, 2014
Mildly informative but not much more than we already knew about the history of Napster and contrasting opinions about intellectual property rights.
½ August 3, 2014
I was not a bad movie but it could have been better., it was a moment that shifted how you bought music in today's age.
May 28, 2013
Not an amazing film but an interesting story.
July 1, 2013
Hands down my one of my favorite music docs of last year! :) 10 + years before we had an option to buy music on our phones they were already talking about that being a possibility in the future. (Now on Amazon or Itunes to rent or purchase) :)
December 4, 2013
A great documentary film about the downloading generation and the impact of filesharing on the Internet. Some great memories of the classic days of file sharing for me. Loved it.
June 21, 2013
a nicely definitive look at the key players and history, from technical to legal, of napster and the ultimate disruption of the music industry.
August 3, 2013
This Documentary is EXCELLENT! Very informative about the rise and fall of Napster and the co founders and the rest of the team that built it.
½ July 14, 2013
Jos jedan podsjetnik koliko ponosni moramo biti sto smo dio ove generacije, buduce nista slicno nece prolaziti. Sjecam se prve i zadnje pjesme koju sam skinuo sa Napstera, znali smo da nece potrajati ali uzivali smo u svakom bitu. Ok dokumentarac, a najjaci mi je dio kada Fanning komentira tugu i bijes koji je osjecao na uspjeh iTunesa. Njegova ideja, u drugim rukama.
July 11, 2013