Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dr. Goldfoot and the Bikini Machine Reviews

January 30, 2016
It's a struggle to come up with more than "Fuck this movie." If there's a more nonsensical, less funny movie, I can't think of it. Not even Vincent Price is an asset here.
March 31, 2014
Good campy fun. Vincent Price is a hoot in a knowingly hammy performance. This spawned a TV special (which was also campy fun) and a theatrical sequel.
½ December 25, 2013
Robot Females and Stupid Males--So-so comedy with Vincent Price spoofing his many horror roles!!
½ February 27, 2013
Catchy song. I remember little else outside of Vincent Price.
½ January 30, 2013
Campy fun, and well worth a peep if you're a fan of the silly spy stuff that proliferated in the sixties. Tons of cute women and Vincent Price chewing scenery left right and center; what's not to love?

Well worth a rental.
December 19, 2012
A camp classic produced by Roger Corman and starring Vincent Price and Frankie Avalon in which a mad scientist uses killer androids designed to look like bikini babes in his twisted plot to take over the world.
I'm not making this up, folks!
½ November 15, 2012
Yikes. As enticing as a Vincent Price/Frankie Avalon team-up must have appeared on paper, the end result is embarrassing, rather than funny, and while there's some decent spoofing of the then-huge spy flick craze, it's way, way too silly. However, I do give Price points for stepping outside his comfort zone and really camping it up in epic fashion.
June 15, 2012
No, Really, I Think I Can Justify This

I've been holding this movie on my instant queue for some time now, waiting until I was in exactly the right mood. Frankly, I was expecting that mood to require at least ten degrees higher temperature; when it's hot, I have a hard time thinking. It's been pleasantly warm the last few days, but not hot. However, I expected this to be a movie I watched while consuming enormous quantities of ice water and trying not to let any part of my skin touch any other part. That sort of thing. As it is, I was just feeling mildly spacy, which is different. I had started and stopped two different movies already this evening, and I was running out of time. And all other considerations aside, this movie is short. So I started it, assuming that I'd have the entertainment of watching a truly scathing review of it and all its ilk. However, I am instead just going to have to figure out how to justify a marginally positive rating and the fact that I'll watch the sequel.

Craig Gamble (Frankie Avalon) is a really crappy secret agent for It Doesn't Matter What Agency. Crappy enough, in fact, that he declares his status as an agent to pretty much anyone who will listen. Notably Diane (Susan Hart), who turns out to be a robot built by the mysterious Dr. Goldfoot (Vincent Price). Only it turns out the mad doctor has built her, along with a whole slew of other gold-bikinied girls, as part of a plan in which they will marry rich men and get them to sign over all their assets to their new and secretly robot wives. Diane is intended for Todd Armstrong (Dwayne Hickman), a wealthy young man of not much higher intelligence than Craig. Through a ridiculous series of events, Craig works out Diane's secret. First, he tries to tell his uncle and superior at work, Donald J. Pevney (Fred Clark). Then, he enlists Todd and they go after Dr. Goldfoot and his assistant, Igor (Jack Mullaney), themselves.

Don't get me wrong. This is not a good movie. On the other hand, it isn't actually a bad one. At least not quite. Yes, it climaxes with the world's dumbest, longest chase scene--no chase which involves cable cars as anything other than obstacles makes even a little sense. Then again, it isn't supposed to make sense. It's just supposed to be amusing. It kind of even is. Now, of course, this movie was made to be shown at drive-ins to teenagers who were only paying the smallest bit of attention to the movie. I'm not its target audience and really never was. However, I am still more amused by this than I am by a lot of comedies made for people who are actually paying more attention. Okay, that's in part because none of the humour has anything to do with bodily functions, and less of it than you'd think has anything to do with sex. There's even a sly Annette Funicello cameo at one point, and there are many references to Vincent Price's previous cheesy movies.

Yeah, okay, it's completely ludicrous. I can dress it up how I like, but it's still an extremely dumb movie. I have a hard time explaining my preference for one ridiculous comedy over another sometimes, but I really do think I can justify this one. While it's padded, one of the things it's padded with is clips from movies Vincent Price was in that were more intended to be taken seriously. The paintings of his "ancestors" are characters from those same movies, in fact. There were places in the movie where I just wanted to roll my eyes, such as the running gag that Craig keeps knocking his uncle over whenever he opens the door in his uncle's tiny office. It is also casually sexist; yes, it's sexist in both directions, but still. There is the implicit assumption that men will marry a sexy woman the second she threatens to withhold sex, but there's also the fact that the only woman in the whole picture who isn't a sexy, bikini-clad robot is imprisoned Annette.

No, I probably won't ever watch this again. Certainly it's not like certain movies which have become summer staples in my life. However, I'm still rather glad to have gotten around to it, and I do plan to watch the sequel for all that. Though I probably won't bother to review it. After all, I barely have anything to say about the first one, much less a second. Though I am given to understand that the second had Tommy Kirk, and I like him quite a lot. Largely because he's in the kind of movies which do make my summer staple list. And it's interesting to contemplate the career of Vincent Price. In 1939, he was in [i]The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex[/i], his second film. He was in the noir classic [i]Laura[/i]. His last film was [i]Edward Scissorhands[/i]. And he was in this, and all those ridiculous Poe pictures. And somewhere around here, I have a cookbook he wrote; it turns out he was such a gourmet that everything in it is too high-class to appeal to my palate. A man of contradictions--and if thinking about that gets your mind off the movie, that's no bad thing.
May 27, 2012
Just too silly to give a good rating. Vincent Price was a plus though.
April 18, 2012
another bizzare entry in the beach movies of the sixties
½ February 22, 2012
There are many ways do describe this film; hokey, corny, low-brow, goofy and finally fun. Its a breeze to watch and Vincent Price does a good job hamming it up.
January 11, 2012
How does this Bikini Machine work? You must teach me Dr. Goldfoot!
½ October 24, 2011
Before there was austin powers, there was dr. Goldfoot and his films are better, even now, then anything mike myers could dream up.
August 26, 2011
This movie is so bad. Haha. It attempted to be up there with the Beach movies, but wow. I would say this movie was really random, but it did have a solid story line. I just don't understand why this movie was ever made... haha
½ June 21, 2011
Well obviously with Vincent Price & Frankie Avalon, they tried combining two popular genres of the day, I'm not convinced it really worked too well, but it was definitely 60's Camp
April 5, 2011
Wowie Wow Wow! A-rooo-gah, a-roo-gah! Yes! More please!

Kind of a mix between "The Stepford Wives", sixties vintage "Casino Royale", and "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World". (The later only in style). What a fun screwball sixties comedy, featuring a musical number with Sam and the Apemen (Musical Instruments by Vox).

Hey, it stars the one and only Vincent Price. Plus, a cameo by Annette Funicello!

"The End?" - unfortunately it is.
March 6, 2011
Hey Baby, I think this picture is as gas!!!
January 13, 2011
There are some films that are bad which makes them good - this film is so bad that it remains so - Mr Price what were you doing.
½ December 11, 2010
December 6, 2010
I love this movie, it's so fun, and Vincent Price is in it too. It's hilariously silly, and makes fun of both the "Beach" movies and Price's horror movies at the time as well, while making fun of itself a bit too. I highly recommend it.