Dr. Jack (1922)

TOMATOMETER

——

——

AUDIENCE SCORE

Critic Consensus: No consensus yet.

Dr. Jack Photos

Movie Info

Harold Lloyd headlines this hilarious silent comedy about a good-hearted small-town doctor who knows the full value of common sense. His skills are put to the test when he is brought in to help an ailing, lethargic child, whom he suspects is only in need of stimulation. Lloyd then does all he can to entertain and therefore cure her.
Rating:

No excerpt available.

Full Review… | March 24, 2006
New York Times
Top Critic

...a minor Lloyd film, but enjoyable...

Full Review… | December 26, 2015
Playback:stl

Fails to hold up to scrutiny in modern times.

Full Review… | June 15, 2005
Ozus' World Movie Reviews

Audience Reviews for Dr. Jack

½

A sweet tale of a young, idealistic doctor (Harold Lloyd) who manages to cure everyone's ails without actually doing anything medical. He's more of the Patch Adams mindset, you see. He'd rather prescribe fresh air and good humor. Jack faces his biggest challenge when he's asked to check on a beautiful invalid (Mildred Davis, later to become Lloyd's wife). A rival doctor (Eric Mayne) has been keeping her in bed for years, just to siphon off her rich family's funds. Poor girl. A climactic sequence involving an escaped lunatic is a bit burlesque compared to the earlier material, but "Dr. Jack" is still a nice little comedy.

Eric Broome
Eric Broome

½

While some of these jokes are highly outdated, some were absolutely and undeniably rip-roaring. The plot was a bit episodic for my tastes, but there are some gags in this movie that I will never forget. Surprisingly well done.

Giffy Giffoniello
Giffy Giffoniello
½

This one is my favorite of Lloyd's movie so far. The poker and the chase through the house are hilarious and a great showcase of silent movie comedy. I also like how I've seen 3 of Lloyd's movies and have yet to see a repeated joke in them, which some old comedians fell prey to do. The acting was also good by Lloyd who is a master at his craft, but I also liked Davis' performances. She was very likable and a good oppisote for Lloyd. The story is still basically the same formula as the other movies (Lloyd meets girl and trys to be with her), but it still works fr him and isn't old yet. It's a great film for Lloyd and silent comedy fans.

James Stacey
James Stacey

Discussion Forum

Discuss Dr. Jack on our Movie forum!

News & Features