Dr. No - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dr. No Reviews

½ May 16, 2017
Good start to the James Bond films. I enjoyed it. Best scene was spider
½ April 1, 2017
This is a strange way to start a franchise: no build-up, no origin story, the whole thing is quiet & slow, as if we're already supposed to know everything about him. It's got good stuff: exciting (if campy) car chases, mysterious villain, iconic white bikini. What's odd though is, despite being naturally cool, Bond's often found here in some less-than-flattering situations; I mean, halfway through the most action-packed scene is him trying to smash a spider with a shoe. A basic start to an enduring franchise.
February 27, 2017
The first James Bond film, released back in 1962, is a great start for the long running series. It's interesting to see how mild-mannered everything is, given how lavish the productions would later become. Sean Connery is perfect as Bond, managing to make the character tough, charming and thoroughly likeable all at the same time, which isn't easy to do (e.g Roger Moore or Daniel Craig). The first Bond girl, Ursula Andress, is one of the most iconic, as is the villain, the film's namesake (Joseph Wiseman). Sure, it's not the most exciting entry in the series, but it's well acted, briskly paced and has some choice action scenes as well (Bond himself surprisingly takes a beating here and there, but he proves he can dish it out twice as hard). A quieter, more pensive film than most that followed, Dr. No is a must see for anyone interested in the Bond series.
February 23, 2017
Dr No is the blueprint from which all other Bonds would follow- exotic locations, beautiful women and a villain who wants to take over the world. The gadgets and the Aston Martin would turn up in the next few episodes to solidify Bond as pop cultural icon. The story here is reasonable low key until Bond confronts the villain in his underground lair. He is sent to Jamaica to investigate the killing of secret service agents only to find his trail lead to Dr No (Jonathon Wiseman), an articulate, oriental looking madman with metal claws for hands who wants to destroy the world with a nuclear device. Connery is a bit rough around the edges and hasn't smoothed into the character yet (when I first saw this film, I thought he was meant to be East European!) but it was his performances as the action hero that cemented his appeal as an actor. Call me a wet blanket too but I never understood the appeal of Ursules Andres as Honey Rider (as great as she looked coming out of the surf) and prefer the classy charms of Sylvia Trench...and Moneypenny for that matter (until she got bogged down with Roger Moore).
January 21, 2017
Nobody does it better than Bond, and no Bond is better than Connery. Dr. No is the one that started it all and it's a thrilling fun start to one of Hollywood's most beloved franchises.
January 17, 2017
A great debut for 007 that despite it's tight budget manages to shine with quality, sophistication and great characters. Terrance Young as director was instrumental in moulding Connery into the Bond he became and this movie sets the stage for what was to follow perfectly.
½ January 10, 2017
In this introduction to the James Bond franchise, MI6 agent 007 (Sean Connery) must get to the bottom of a mystery involving nuclear devices (because it's the 60s) in the Bahamas.

I just started to explore the Bond movies and I wanted to see as many as I could. So, what better way to begin the franchise with the film that started it all? This movie came out during a decade that was pushing taboos and traditions of what could be shown in movies. Since filmmakers at the time were mostly still experimenting with their films, I thought it would be interesting to see how they handled "Dr. No".

First, let me start with the negatives. Some of the pacing, around 30-40 minutes in, felt dreadfully slow. Since the opening scene with the murder, I was drawn into the movie. But, the film felt like it was taking too long to continue developing the main story with the nuclear devices. Though, to be fair, it should introduce to the viewers the character of James Bond and his agency, since it's the first film in the series. Also, some of the special effects, especially some scenery, looked dated.

I have very mixed feelings about the main villain. I think there was good suspense built to his character, because we first hear only his voice and how he can control his operations and make his goons tremble (well, one of them). But the actual scene with actor Joseph Wiseman didn't show much to him other than being stern. I mean, it's cool to see the first James Bond villain, but I wish there was more to his character.

The overall plot, however, I thought was executed well with a big sense of fun. Particularly at the end of the second act, the dialogues felt like the writers were having a lot of fun doing their job. I felt like there was much enthusiasm (or at least, a sense of gravity) in a lot of the actors in them describing the conditions of their crisis to make the film sound fun. The climactic sequence is simple, but cool to watch.

The acting also helps the overall film. Sean Connery is so cool in this film, one often forgets he is Indiana Jones' dad, a character with very different attitudes. Ursula Andress was alright. This is one trope that will bother many viewers, and in other films it bothered me as well. The Bond girls usually do not have much to them other than bodies, which lets Bond take advantage of them. Here, Andress as Honey Ryder mostly just provides a damsel in distress situation for Bond, maybe having a trait or two.

Overall though, "Dr. No" is a good introduction to the James Bond franchise. Though it has pacing issues, viewers should be grateful that it takes time to introduce many important characters and tropes that will be common in the series (for better or worse). I do look forward to continuing the franchise for some fun.
7/10
January 4, 2017
130914: 1st Bond Film. Commenced my journey down the James Bond, 50th Anniversary, Blu-Ray package thanks to a friend. Nothing wrong with the first of the series. Decent entertainment and views of Jamaica. Ah, Honey Rider. RIP Quarrel.
½ December 28, 2016
Dr. No is iconic from top to bottom. From "Bond, James Bond" to Honey Ryder's bikini scene this film is packed with rememberable moments and nostalgia. Sean Connery is 007 and Honey Ryder is possibly the best ever Bond girl as she set the tone for the future. This film is clever and the script is snappy. At times it looks dated but it was released in 1962 so you can't look into that too much. However the blu-ray remastered edition did look fantastic.
December 17, 2016
La primer película de una las franquicias más largas e iconicas en el cine: James Bond.

TEMA: La intro es interesante aunque no es lo que se asocia ahora con el agente, sin embargo es aclamada por tener la famosa escena del disparo en el cañón, símbolo de toda la saga. Esta es presentada con el soundtrack original del agente, uno de los más populares del cine que aparte también de ser rápido y entretenido contrasta bien con el símbolo de Bond.

AGENTE 007: Sean Connery, el primer Bond, es la personificación de el hombre perfecto, le da al agente el porte varonil y fuerte conservando su elegancia y encanto como caballero. Es un seductor creíble sin irse a extremos, en esta película se siente que le falta algo para terminar de conectar con él, pero eso es nada comparado con todo lo positivo que tiene este 007.

CHICA BOND: Fuera de la belleza de Ursula Andress, a su personaje le falto intensidad y ser más interesante para el público que solo ser la compañera del agente, igual es atractiva y carismática pero necesito más profundidad e intención en la trama.

VILLANO: El Dr. No es un personaje frío e intimidante con toques de fineza en la poca movilidad que realiza, es buen villano que tristemente pierde fuerza por su muy poco tiempo en pantalla y su interacción con Bond, hubiera sido interesante tener más escenas con este personaje.

Para ser el gran inicio de la saga lo hizo de una forma respetable que fundamenta el porqué de la iconicidad del personaje, aunque le falta mostrar todo el potencial que puede ofrecer y algunos aspectos que pueden verse afectados por el paso del tiempo, aun así es una buena entrega en la saga, una digna icónica en su género y sobre todo un fragmento importante en la historia del cine.

Dr. No (1962) Calificación: 7.6/10
November 29, 2016
I loved Honey! Beautiful scenery! A complaint for these older movies is the character of James Bond and his treatment towards, like, women. Probably a symptom of the times...
November 15, 2016
Initial Bond venture has the agent dispatched to Jamaica to track the disappearance of a fellow agent, leading him to the remote island compound overseen by the diabolical Dr No. Straightforward effort, to its benefit, with many longstanding series elements established.
November 14, 2016
Perfect way to start this legendary franchise. Connery bosses it in his first appearance as Bond. Good cast around him too. Beautiful filming locations.
½ November 13, 2016
boring movie with no intense edge of your seat action, cliche capture and escape segment. bond also fights like a wuss, and isn't like a spy like a actual spy with fighting talent. doesn't matter if its made in 1963 was investing at all like the rest of the other bonds.
November 4, 2016
The first Bond movie, an instant classic. This movie had a pretty good story and it was something original when it came out. Sean Connery makes a great Bond. Great start to a series that is still going today.
October 13, 2016
without this film there would be no bond films today so i respect the hell out of it. but with all out of the way dr. no always comes off as quite bland to me.
October 13, 2016
The best spy film next to mission impossible! A true Classic.
August 26, 2016
An absolute classic with plenty of humour, realism and finesse.
August 24, 2016
Dr. No is not the best Bond movie, but it started of the series very well and I loved watching it.
August 22, 2016
A fashionable film that grows from simple and straightforward to a very stylish and exciting adventure, and one that would grow to be the beginning of all the spy films to come.