Dr. Terror's House of Horrors - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dr. Terror's House of Horrors Reviews

½ November 13, 2007
the best horror movie
November 4, 2007
A feast of classic 60's Horror with only the finest ingredients. "The Fear of The Year" indeed!
November 3, 2007
So far there hasn't been an amicas film that I haven't fucking loved. This one, again, fails to dissapoint.
October 14, 2007
Yes, the title clearly states "House Of Horrors", but it's definitely a train-carriage (wouldn't have made as snappy a title though, I guess).
First of Amicus' portmanteau horrors which became their speciality. And it's a corker!
We have five tales: Werewolf, Creeping Vine, Voodoo, Disembodied Hand, and Vampire - the titles pretty much speak for themselves, don't they?
Framing these short tales is Cushing's title character (Dr Schreck), one of his coolest ever roles. Chris Lee is fantastic as the dismissive sceptic (even though his individual story in this is (for me) one of the weaker episodes, his performance in it is superb - EXPRESSING fear in a film, rather than CAUSING it, as he usually does!)
A very weird cast: Donald Sutherland (it's not every day you see Donald Sutherland opening a can of beans in a film!), Roy Castle (also appearing with Cushing in the same year's Dr Who & The Daleks), disc-jockey Alan 'Fluff' Freeman, Kenny Lynch and the great Michael Gough; but they are all superb (even Castle doesn't annoy (too much) here).
Sure, some tales are less effective than others, but this just works great as a whole, for me. One of Amicus' finest, if not THE finest.
September 29, 2007
Masters of horror together on a train journey. 5 different storis not unlike Twilight Zone.
September 13, 2007
Great portmanteau movie. Peter Cushing's fortune teller predicts a creepy end for each of his five fellow passengers in a night-train compartment ....
½ September 6, 2007
Dr. Terrors House of Horror.
Not to be mistaken for the Amicus: House That Dripped Blood, in this case the ?house? is Cushing?s deck of Tarot cards, from which he gives readings to a motley collection of stereotypes sharing a train carriage.
Alan (Fluff) Freeman fights killer Moss, whilst Roy Castle angers the Spirit of Haitian Jazz, (surely the inspiration for the Boosh episode), whilst even Donald Sutherland?s tale is slightly comedic.
Only Christopher Lee?s tale has any creep factor, but the framing device works well enough and its good cheesy fun
August 21, 2007
it wasn't bad at all for an oldie... far from it being genuinely scary it did keep things interesting with 5 differents little stories all in themselves. can't remember what my favourite one was now. i was feeling sleepy when watching this. i can remember it alright though. i heard something about a load of these hammer horrors getting re-made over the next few years? is this true? anyone know anything... post me a comment
July 29, 2007
Why can't I have more than five stars?
July 10, 2007
It's a Tigon film (Tiger / Lion: see what they did there?)

It's like Hammer but better. Roy Castle steals a voodoo beat for his Jazz band and unleashes a demon with his trumpet. Fluff Freeman is trapped in a house by some intelligent belligerent twigs.

And other highlights to numerous to mention!

I love Tigon films; horror films made by hucksters, cooked up in Soho drinking dens and peopled by actors paying the rent. more gore, more sex, more daftness.

It's so good, it doesn't even take place in a house. Doctor Terror's Train of Horrors didn't sound so exciting I presume.
July 7, 2007
This is like a lushly extended version of the Twilight Zone with a series of short story linked by the device of using a fortune teller who turns out to be something more. Silly and stately in equal measures.
June 28, 2007
Wonderful and marvellous in so many ways...mainly in that there's Cushing, Lee, and Sutherland in the same train carriage!! Brilliant!
½ June 17, 2007
Along with 'Dead of Night', my favourite anthology-horror. An Amicus classic
½ June 13, 2007
Probably the only film to co-star Donald Sutherland, Peter Cushing, Roy Castle and Alan 'Fluff' Freeman.
June 9, 2007
Love It! Great cast. This is the true definition of spooky horror. Still waiting for the US DVD release. Just look at all the horror movie legends that all appear in this film. EXCELLENT!
June 5, 2007
Perhaps my favourite ever film. Works best if not taken at all seriously, it features some absolutely fantastic (unintentional) commedy moments.
½ June 3, 2007
Saw a midnight showing of this with a friend on Halloween 2004. Long, but there are essentially five separate stories, so it keeps interesting. Ending = sweet.
½ April 17, 2007
Here it is: the beginning of Amicus' domination of the horror anthology format. Sure, not all the stories are good (the creeping vine story goes nowhere) but it's a well-made, eerie horror flick with a wonderful, star performance from Cushing as Dr. Terror (Dr. Shreck, actually) himself. The first story (the werewolf segment) is the best, in my opinion, although Christopher Lee being menanced by Michael Gough's severed hand is pretty spectacular as well. It's all about atmosphere, lighting and good stereotyping of the lead characters. If you like British horror films from the sixties, you're going to love this one. Check it out.
March 15, 2007
Sounds smashingly good.
February 24, 2007
Certainly not the most noteworthy British anthology, but a personal fave of mine Spooky, darkly shot, and the ending (even though a bit obvious) is a killer.