Dracula A.D. 1972 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dracula A.D. 1972 Reviews

½ October 19, 2016
Enjoyable swinging London romp with Dracula infiltrating a group of free-spirited youths. Lee's last good Dracula.
September 28, 2016
Yes, I know I'm giving this WAY TOO MANY marks, but, hey, I love all of the clashes between Sir Christopher Lee's 'Count Dracula' and Sir Peter Cushing's 'Van Helsing' (perhaps the greatest characterizations of those two characters, over a series of films, in cinema), and the then-contemporary (now almost 45 years ago!) update certainly is intriguing. So sue me.
September 28, 2016
September 10, 2016
The opening scene and ending scene are both pure gold. Anytime Lee or Cushing are on screen, everything just clicks. The dated 1970s music is a big turnoff at times. Also out of place is the Austin Powers-like crew of characters the film revolves around. Overall it's good, but could've been great with a few tweeks.
½ May 30, 2016
Horrible, but the main title theme is dope af. Just groove that track
½ February 9, 2016
Even Universal's worst Dracula movie are better than this. A stupid Dracula film with Cushing and Lee being the only reasons to give a damn about the whole thing.
November 8, 2015
Close the Devil's circle.

John Alucard believes he can resurrect the infamous Count Dracula and leads some drunk hippies to a church. They perform a ritual and raise Dracula from the dead. He immediately begins a killing spree looking for the descendants of his nemesis, Van Helsing. The Van Helsing descendants bond together to hunt down Dracula.

"Come in for a bite."

Alan Gibson, director of Journey to Midnight, Crescendo, Goodbye Gemini, Intent to Murder, Atom Spies, and Witness to the Prosecution (1982), delivers Dracula A.D. 1972. The storyline for this picture is very fun and well done for this era and genre. The characters were entertaining and the acting was solid for the genre. The cast includes Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing, Stephanie Beacham, Christopher Neame, and Caroline Monroe.

"It's only a giggle."

This was recently on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) for the Halloween season so I had to DVR it. The content was excellent and I always enjoy Cushing and Lee horror films (this was better than many). I strongly recommend this to fans of the classic horrors.

"She is not the one."

Grade: C+
½ November 1, 2015
Hammer Studio's kind of jumps the shark here by placing Count Dracula in 1970s swingin' London. Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing again do battle as Dracula and Van Helsing in modern day (well, 1972) London, complete with shorty shorts, go-go dancers, discotheques and a funky soundtrack. This all seems rather out of place for a Lee/Cushing vampire tale, but I suppose it may be worth watching for Hammer fans to watch it simply out of curiosity. Stick with "The Lost Boys" for a much better vampire tale set in a hip youth culture setting. Stephanie Beacham also appears in this film.
June 7, 2015
Dracula AD 1972 was not nearly as bad as I expected, especially after the terrible Scars of Dracula. The film had a step up in acting over the past couple films with the return of Peter Cushing to the series, but Dracula VERY little screen time.
May 13, 2015
The modern switch and classic callbacks is refreshing, but the film leaves a lot of promise behind. Dracula lays back too much, while the characters aren't particularly interesting. There are some very nice special effects though, which to me, where the best highlight of this movie.
November 12, 2014
drac gets his freaky on
½ May 31, 2014
It quickly loses steam after the band plays, "Alligator Man".
½ May 27, 2014
Good grief the music is so awful.
½ February 22, 2014
Despite its great 70's poster, this has to be one of the most boring and nonsensical Dracula films I have ever seen.
December 17, 2013
This modernizing of Dracula is ok, You can't go wrong with scenes of early 70\s London, can you? The story certainly hums along, but there's lot of plot holes and plenty of undefined characters, like poor Dracula himself.
½ October 30, 2013
The camp is at full-force, as are the flared jeans and the hippie-speak gibberish. Scenes designed to set up the culture and atmosphere of the film go on too long and the music is entirely unsuitable for a horror film. And yet...it's deliriously good fun. It's terrific to have Peter Cushing back and Lee is reliable as ever.
½ March 25, 2013
Oh gawd, Stephanie Beacham is a hot one!
March 7, 2013
81%

"You would play your brains against mine, against me who has commanded nations!"-Count Dracula (Christopher Lee)

Love the hip score, daddy o.
December 30, 2012
The 7th Dracula sequel to be done by Hammer, and after Scars of Dracula (1970) had stalled at the box-office, Hammer literally went for broke with this contemporary setting, instead of having it set in old Europe, they moved it to Swinging London, after much of the swinging had stopped. It was a big hit at the time, but it hasn't aged very well, and it's star looked bored to death too. It begins with Dracula (Christopher Lee) being killed by Lawrence Van Helsing (Peter Cushing) in 1872, and Van Helsing dies while killing Dracula, but Dracula's ashes and ring are taken, and buried near where Van Helsing has been laid to rest. Flash forwards 100 years, and Lorrimer Van Helsing (Cushing again), continues studying the occult like his ancestor did. Lorrimer's granddaughter Jessica Van Helsing (Stephanie Beacham), gets involved with occult worshipers led by Johnny Alucard (Christopher Neame), whose ancestor was a follower of Dracula. However, during a ritual, they bring Dracula back to life, and the murders begin all over again. It's a very silly film, it might have been cool and trendy back then, but now it just looks embarrassing. Lee didn't want to do any more Dracula's at the time, but Hammer always kept coaxing him back somehow. Hammer were struggling badly at the time, and they needed a hit, and this helped them, and they were able to find money to do another sequel, which started production almost immediately after this opened.