Dracula Has Risen From the Grave - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dracula Has Risen From the Grave Reviews

October 22, 2017
One of my all-time favorite Christopher Lee Dracula movies !!
June 13, 2017
Somewhat dramatic take on the count. Lee is not in it enough as it focuses on cleavage and blood. Some good acting and locales and a so so plot.
½ February 8, 2017
Christopher Lee never said much as Dracula- just a few menacing words and his victims would fall under the spell of his sinister gaze. His Dracula was one who relied almost exclusively on his daunting frame and physical performance. On that level, I couldn't enjoy the character when comparing it to the charismatic, thickly-accented Bela Lugosi incarnation. However, this Hammer production has enough kudos to be enjoyable (if that is the right word!)
½ October 21, 2016
A solid outing for Hammer and Christopher Lee in their "Dracula" series, this one seeing Dracula yet again resurrected to wreak havoc on young women. I think I liked this one better than "Dracula: Prince of Darkness," if only because at least this time Dracula speaks. It isn't as good as their original 1957 effort, but for some solid Dracula action? This'll do the palette nicely!
October 19, 2016
One of the best of the Hammer series with Lee intense, Andrews looking like a nineteenth century rock star, lots of heaving bosoms on display and some effective blood. It's missing Cushing, or it would be nearly perfect.
October 6, 2016
I just wanted to know how that girl ended up in the bell.
September 28, 2016
Though for the classic Hammer 'Dracula' series starring Sir Christopher Lee as the 'protagonist' it loses oomph for not also starring Sir Peter Cushing (who always seemed to get the best work out of Lee in the Hammer days), this still is wildly admirable and a must-watch. The wonderful (and ingenious) poster, on its own, more than makes up for Cushing's absence.
½ September 2, 2016
A solid entry in the series with some fun theological questions. Lee doesn't get nearly as much time as I'd like, but the scenes we do get allow him to ooze charisma and creepiness.
August 16, 2016
The majority of it is VERY boring. However, the last 20 minutes were alright.
½ May 30, 2016
Does some really interesting stuff visually here and there, but ultimately is too 60's for its own good unfortunately. Better than some of the other Hammer Dracula movies though. You could do worse, but don't go in expecting much.
½ January 2, 2016
Just OK by Hammer's standards, but good by horror film standards in general. It has obvious flaws and virtues. First, there are some pretty big plot holes (Why doesn't Dracula force the enslaved priest to remove the cross from the castle entrance? Why does simply hearing Paul calling Maria's name cause Dracula to abandon his first attempt to bite her?). There isn't really much for Dracula to do, and the effective atmosphere of the first couple of Hammer's Dracula films is largely missing.

However, the film has many strengths as well. The acting is good, especially Ewan Hooper as the priest who becomes Dracula's servant and Barbara Ewing as the doomed barmaid. The scenes where Dracula "seduces" Maria are powerfully erotic, among the most effective of their kind. Veronica Carlson is unbelievable gorgeous. She ranks with Barbara Carrera, Ursula Andress, Raquel Welch, and Elke Sommer as one of the most beautiful actresses in the history of cinema. Also, beloved Hammer character actor Michael Ripper has one of his largest roles as the proprietor of the bakery/bar where Paul and Zena work. The rooftops settings are well-used and unusual (though certainly not unprecedented).

"Dracula Has Risen From the Grave" is not in the same league as Hammer's best vampire efforts, like "Horror of Dracula" and "Kiss of the Vampire" but is well worth a viewing for Hammer fans.
August 20, 2015
The last of Christopher Lee's Dracula films. An attempt to be contemporary in its time. Doesn't really play today.
July 27, 2015
(As a parenthetical, I only write these reviews right after, or as soon as possible, after viewing the film. I've seen this movie several times, but, just felt like writing about it tonight.)

The strong third enstallment of the Hammer-Lee-Dracula collaboration -- the first two being Terence Fisher's _Horror of Dracula_ (1957) and Fisher's sequel, _Dracula: Prince of Darkness_ (1965). (Yes, I know, there was Fisher's _Brides of Dracula_, but Dracula wasn't in it!)

Freddie Francis, an experienced and awarded cinematographer heads as director in _Dracula Has Risen From The Grave_, and it certainly shows. Whenever Dracula appears, the frame is surrounded by a warm, golden halo or aurora which constrasts nicely with the Count's elegantly flowing blackish cloak and his near imperturbable expressions. (It it an interesting visual metaphor for the Count's liminal metaphysical existence.) Salient is the Count's unbridled hatred and utter lack of mercy, and his insatiable lust for revenge (two traits conspicuously similar to the historical prince Dracula). More important than any historical references, are the spiritual ones, of which they're many in _Risen_. The confrontation with Dracula transforms the intelligent scholarly atheist, Paul, into a Christian (the play on the name "Paul" is not lost here). This reminds me very much of the similar spiritual conversion which occurs in _The Exorcist_, I think. Paradoxically, it is radical evil which leads one to God and his church.
½ July 5, 2015
"Dracula Has Risen From the Grave" contains many iconic elements. Dracula's red-lined cape disguises his lurking abilities to perform superhuman feats. It wouldn't be a vampire movie without at least one stake through a vampireā??s heart, though it's never explained how Dracula survives the assassination attempt. Christopher Lee's death-by-crucifix ending stands as one of the most indelible gothic images ever recorded in cinematic vampire lore.
June 23, 2015
much better than you've heard
June 14, 2015
Good movie for 70s time frame. At least in this movie, Christopher Lee doesn't shine as much as Bela Lugosi in 1931 Dracula. 1931 Dracula my favorite so far. looking into more Lee movies.
½ May 12, 2015
It follows much of the same formula from the other Dracula movies, but obviously it hasn't worn out yet. Lee gets more screen-time and dialog than the previous film, and there are a nice bit more gore. There is also several interesting usages of colors, which make this film seem more artsy.
½ May 2, 2015
Great Hammer Film...
April 27, 2015
Compared to other Hammer Dracula movies, this one is a bit of a bore. Some of the things you expect are still there (blood, violence, gothic settings, cleavage), but just not nearly as in abundance as the other movies. Christopher Lee doesn't get as much screen time as you would hope and most of the movie (about 80%) takes place in an inn/tavern. Instead of being in castles or dark landscapes we get to enjoy time at the inn with the baker and his studies! And there is no Peter Cushing to help carry the film from beginning to end. So we just get a mediocre (at best) Dracula film.
February 8, 2015
Veronica Carlson. Enough said.