Dracula II: Ascension - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dracula II: Ascension Reviews

½ March 20, 2017
Not bad direct-to-video sequel to the weak "Dracula 2000." I haven't seen the first film in this franchise since it came out in the theaters and I remember not being very impressed at the time, but I did find myself entertained by this low budget sequel. A group of medical students come across the body of Count Dracula and then pursue the secret to immortality by conduction experiments on an imprisoned Dracula. All the while a Vatican sanctioned vampire hunter, Jason Scott Lee, is hot on their trail. The film was directed by Patrick Lussier, who directed the underrated "Drive Angry" and co-wrote the underrated "Terminator: Genysis," and he brings a fair amount of style to the film, although I did get the feeling this film really wanted to have the gritty, slick feel of Guillermo del Toro's "Blade II" and doesn't come anywhere close. There's a respectable cast that also includes Craig Sheffer and Roy Scheider in a cameo appearance. Nothing great, but better than most of it's ilk.
September 15, 2016
Dracula II: Ascension(2003)
Starring:Stephen Billington,Craig Sheffer,Jason Scott Lee, Jason London,Diane Neal,Khary Payton,Brande Roderick,John Light,Roy Scheider,and David J. Francis
Directed By: Patrick Lussier
Review
Hello kiddies your pal the crypt-critic here with another disappointment of blood, that you won't want to sink your teeth into. If you remember I wrote a review for Dracula 2000 a film that most would say is terrible but I loved the hell out of it, it was one of those fun and bloody vampire movies I could really sink my teeth into. It's sequel however Is just lame, nonsensical, not that much fun and all around a load of shriek.
The sequel to Patrick Lussier's Dracula 2000 begins with a group of medical students discovering the body of the infamous count Dracula. Soon, the students find themselves in r=the middle of a bizarre and dangerous conflict when a man offers them 30 million dollars for the body so that they may harvest his blood. All in the while, the kids find that they are being targeted by a Vatican-sanctioned Vampire killer who will stop at nothing to destroy count Dracula once and for all.
This plot is stupid no one who found out that their dead body was a vampire would ever do something as stupid as help people to try and harvest it's blood. This is what makes this quite unrealistic or even a good fantasy/horror story to begin with, it has stupidity written all over it. This is not that original at all. The story could have been worse though it's not like a jumbled mess,but it's just real sad that they could have made this a lot better. It does flow with the events of the first film but with more uninteresting characters which is what brings it down.
The characters are not believable, no one in the right mind would do these things, plus they don't act like mad scientist's so the stupid/dangerous things there doing is just stupid. The were naturals though they kept the minimum when it came to being intelligent morgues and college kids but their actions is what makes them ultimately suffer. No one does stand out though I mean sure the vampire-killer may be cool but he's barely in the movie. Why couldn't it be about him?
The setting is quite typical in some locations you got the abandoned house but where lacking the darkness of being in a graveyard at night I mean come on, being in a graveyard with killer vampires in a film is quite frightening and fun. The little lab in a abandoned shop/house doesn't set the mood or at least not in this film cause you don't feel scared. The music is non-exsistant in this film. The special effects are lame in this movie, I mean terribly lame, they look like toy's.
The movie does not work well, altogether it all feels like it's trying to capture on the money made from the first movie but just fails with making an interesting cohesive story that adds from the first movie. The movie does not elicit any type of response from fun,fright,or sheer terror from me and it won't from you.
Dracula II: Ascension is a disappointing sequel with an uninteresting story with stupid characters, that does not bring anything new or enjoyable to the table. I give this piece of shriek a two out of five.
½ March 1, 2015
Not too bad. Jason Scott Lee is good.
January 2, 2015
I did not expect it to end that way.
½ August 31, 2014
How did I sit through this, unsure.
½ May 18, 2014
Oh my this is horrible never shall be watched by any viewer with the intelligence of being aware of how bad this is.
January 2, 2014
In the begining of the film it's somewhat mysterious and kinda exciting, but that'll soon change to some ridiculous scenes - very obvious scenes... As I watched further I almost fell asleep a couple of times. Wes Craven could have done so much better with what he had. Not only did he contradict the ending of the last film, where Mary Vanhelsing promises to keep Dracula's ashes contained forever, but using a different actor for the title role, it's unforgivable unless it was unavoidable. Rant finished. Now, back to the general vamp movie, this was a decent one. It has a much different view than many I've seen, seeing as the main vampire was confined to an ultraviolet prison for nearly the entire movie. It says something about human nature that they can know how dangerous a thing is, have it locked up and chained down safely, yet still manage to use it to kill themselves. I wonder if that is where Craven is going with this.
September 20, 2013
Ascension Is The Sequel To Dracula 2000, And Despite Having The Same Writers & Director, There Are Holes In It's Plot. The Characters This Time Are Bland And You Couldn't Care For Any Of Them. This Slow-Burn Horror Thriller Accumulates Till The Really Bad Climactic Battle.
½ June 16, 2013
A barely related sequel, as it completely ignores the first film's epilogue and sets out for a disastrous plot. There's not many settings and Dracula spends most of this time tied up. The rest of the characters are boring and do little to help the plot proceed. While the general plot may hold some interest, it's sloppy. Decent amount of gore and tension, which is all that the film seems to offer.
May 24, 2013
Kind of a chore to sit through. Only one, maybe two, actors rise above the other "day time tv" performances that pollute this sequel. It doesn't even seem to have much to do with the first film... which wasn't great, but was certainly far superior to this one
February 27, 2013
Considering the first was no classic this film really has no direction or characters of interest. The plot isn't anything special but it does provide genre fans the necessary gore to keep satisfaction high.
Jason Scott lee is an interesting choice for the hero and succeeds while the film around fails. The rest of the cast are hammy and definitely not worthy. The budget script doesn't allow any worthy storytelling.
Lussier is less comfortable with the low budget compared to the first film. He's lack of direction is actually quite boring and nothing to write home about. I liked where the first film worked but even that struggled from poor storytelling.
The screenplay isn't worthy of the screen time. The characters are one dimensional and have no direction. The ending works only as a lead into another sequel which you'll watch just to see an ending which this does not have.
The first film had some redeeming qualities but I'm hard pressed to find much of anything here.
December 7, 2012
Well another vampire film,another very corny belava. A sequel which follows Dracula 2000 and has no point in its making other than to be a average follow up.

Jason Scott Lee looks out of place in this as a priest/vampire slayer. Was bemused that vampires have to count bits of sand or dirt and the whole knot thing.

The fight scenes seem disjointed and irregular. Was bemused at one beheading and another guy getting his face ripped off only to come back to life resulting him getting a bottle of holy water in his trap.

Has an ending which has an anti-heroistic tone and allows Wes Craven the option of following it up,would perhaps be better to start afresh.
½ November 30, 2012
it was ok movie but I don't think I'll want to watch this movie again, I didn't like this movie, it starred Jason Scott Lee, Craig Sheffer and Jason London, it was ok but expected better but I don't want this film on DVD
November 1, 2012
This film has ALOT of cringeworthy moments, as well as some cool, unique concepts on the design of vampires....but this film has one of the absolute WORST endings I've seen in cinema.
½ October 30, 2012
The Wes Craven Dracula series continues in the gritty thriller Dracula II: Ascension. Picking up where Dracula 2000 left off, a group a medical students steal Dracula's remains from the morgue when they receive an anonymous call offering them $30 million for the body. The cast is fairly decent for a low-budget horror film; except for Stephen Billington, whose depiction of Dracula is rather bland. And while the story has some interesting ideas, it lacks cohesiveness. Dracula II: Ascension is an intriguing and entertaining film that delivers some thrills, but it lacks the passion and vision of the original.
½ October 12, 2012
boringgg really really boringgg
July 17, 2012
Fun Bad B Movie. This sequel has little to do with the its predecessor beyond borrowing the corpse of the villain. It's a not-bad plot with not-bad acting and not-bad effects with one massive, ridiculous plot twist. Enjoy the roulette of a 'who dies next' monster film if you can ignore the bad blood (I mean unconvincing fake blood) and cheesy lines.
½ June 5, 2012
entertaining for a B movie
May 13, 2012
Mildly interesting vampire flick. Sticks to too many conventions and doesn't take any chances at all. Story is very simple making it easy to follow. Disappointing for a Craven backed vehicle. Ending leaves you hanging; they obviously decided they were making a third installment while making this one, because the story just ends without resolution. Enjoyed the brooding performance of Lee and was pleased with Neal's work as well.