Dracula II: Ascension - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dracula II: Ascension Reviews

September 15, 2016
Dracula II: Ascension(2003)
Starring:Stephen Billington,Craig Sheffer,Jason Scott Lee, Jason London,Diane Neal,Khary Payton,Brande Roderick,John Light,Roy Scheider,and David J. Francis
Directed By: Patrick Lussier
Review
Hello kiddies your pal the crypt-critic here with another disappointment of blood, that you won't want to sink your teeth into. If you remember I wrote a review for Dracula 2000 a film that most would say is terrible but I loved the hell out of it, it was one of those fun and bloody vampire movies I could really sink my teeth into. It's sequel however Is just lame, nonsensical, not that much fun and all around a load of shriek.
The sequel to Patrick Lussier's Dracula 2000 begins with a group of medical students discovering the body of the infamous count Dracula. Soon, the students find themselves in r=the middle of a bizarre and dangerous conflict when a man offers them 30 million dollars for the body so that they may harvest his blood. All in the while, the kids find that they are being targeted by a Vatican-sanctioned Vampire killer who will stop at nothing to destroy count Dracula once and for all.
This plot is stupid no one who found out that their dead body was a vampire would ever do something as stupid as help people to try and harvest it's blood. This is what makes this quite unrealistic or even a good fantasy/horror story to begin with, it has stupidity written all over it. This is not that original at all. The story could have been worse though it's not like a jumbled mess,but it's just real sad that they could have made this a lot better. It does flow with the events of the first film but with more uninteresting characters which is what brings it down.
The characters are not believable, no one in the right mind would do these things, plus they don't act like mad scientist's so the stupid/dangerous things there doing is just stupid. The were naturals though they kept the minimum when it came to being intelligent morgues and college kids but their actions is what makes them ultimately suffer. No one does stand out though I mean sure the vampire-killer may be cool but he's barely in the movie. Why couldn't it be about him?
The setting is quite typical in some locations you got the abandoned house but where lacking the darkness of being in a graveyard at night I mean come on, being in a graveyard with killer vampires in a film is quite frightening and fun. The little lab in a abandoned shop/house doesn't set the mood or at least not in this film cause you don't feel scared. The music is non-exsistant in this film. The special effects are lame in this movie, I mean terribly lame, they look like toy's.
The movie does not work well, altogether it all feels like it's trying to capture on the money made from the first movie but just fails with making an interesting cohesive story that adds from the first movie. The movie does not elicit any type of response from fun,fright,or sheer terror from me and it won't from you.
Dracula II: Ascension is a disappointing sequel with an uninteresting story with stupid characters, that does not bring anything new or enjoyable to the table. I give this piece of shriek a two out of five.
½ March 1, 2015
Not too bad. Jason Scott Lee is good.
January 2, 2015
I did not expect it to end that way.
½ August 31, 2014
How did I sit through this, unsure.
½ May 18, 2014
Oh my this is horrible never shall be watched by any viewer with the intelligence of being aware of how bad this is.
January 2, 2014
In the begining of the film it's somewhat mysterious and kinda exciting, but that'll soon change to some ridiculous scenes - very obvious scenes... As I watched further I almost fell asleep a couple of times. Wes Craven could have done so much better with what he had. Not only did he contradict the ending of the last film, where Mary Vanhelsing promises to keep Dracula's ashes contained forever, but using a different actor for the title role, it's unforgivable unless it was unavoidable. Rant finished. Now, back to the general vamp movie, this was a decent one. It has a much different view than many I've seen, seeing as the main vampire was confined to an ultraviolet prison for nearly the entire movie. It says something about human nature that they can know how dangerous a thing is, have it locked up and chained down safely, yet still manage to use it to kill themselves. I wonder if that is where Craven is going with this.
September 20, 2013
Ascension Is The Sequel To Dracula 2000, And Despite Having The Same Writers & Director, There Are Holes In It's Plot. The Characters This Time Are Bland And You Couldn't Care For Any Of Them. This Slow-Burn Horror Thriller Accumulates Till The Really Bad Climactic Battle.
½ June 16, 2013
A barely related sequel, as it completely ignores the first film's epilogue and sets out for a disastrous plot. There's not many settings and Dracula spends most of this time tied up. The rest of the characters are boring and do little to help the plot proceed. While the general plot may hold some interest, it's sloppy. Decent amount of gore and tension, which is all that the film seems to offer.
May 24, 2013
Kind of a chore to sit through. Only one, maybe two, actors rise above the other "day time tv" performances that pollute this sequel. It doesn't even seem to have much to do with the first film... which wasn't great, but was certainly far superior to this one
February 27, 2013
Considering the first was no classic this film really has no direction or characters of interest. The plot isn't anything special but it does provide genre fans the necessary gore to keep satisfaction high.
Jason Scott lee is an interesting choice for the hero and succeeds while the film around fails. The rest of the cast are hammy and definitely not worthy. The budget script doesn't allow any worthy storytelling.
Lussier is less comfortable with the low budget compared to the first film. He's lack of direction is actually quite boring and nothing to write home about. I liked where the first film worked but even that struggled from poor storytelling.
The screenplay isn't worthy of the screen time. The characters are one dimensional and have no direction. The ending works only as a lead into another sequel which you'll watch just to see an ending which this does not have.
The first film had some redeeming qualities but I'm hard pressed to find much of anything here.
December 7, 2012
Well another vampire film,another very corny belava. A sequel which follows Dracula 2000 and has no point in its making other than to be a average follow up.

Jason Scott Lee looks out of place in this as a priest/vampire slayer. Was bemused that vampires have to count bits of sand or dirt and the whole knot thing.

The fight scenes seem disjointed and irregular. Was bemused at one beheading and another guy getting his face ripped off only to come back to life resulting him getting a bottle of holy water in his trap.

Has an ending which has an anti-heroistic tone and allows Wes Craven the option of following it up,would perhaps be better to start afresh.
½ November 30, 2012
it was ok movie but I don't think I'll want to watch this movie again, I didn't like this movie, it starred Jason Scott Lee, Craig Sheffer and Jason London, it was ok but expected better but I don't want this film on DVD
November 1, 2012
This film has ALOT of cringeworthy moments, as well as some cool, unique concepts on the design of vampires....but this film has one of the absolute WORST endings I've seen in cinema.
½ October 30, 2012
The Wes Craven Dracula series continues in the gritty thriller Dracula II: Ascension. Picking up where Dracula 2000 left off, a group a medical students steal Dracula's remains from the morgue when they receive an anonymous call offering them $30 million for the body. The cast is fairly decent for a low-budget horror film; except for Stephen Billington, whose depiction of Dracula is rather bland. And while the story has some interesting ideas, it lacks cohesiveness. Dracula II: Ascension is an intriguing and entertaining film that delivers some thrills, but it lacks the passion and vision of the original.
½ October 12, 2012
boringgg really really boringgg
July 17, 2012
Fun Bad B Movie. This sequel has little to do with the its predecessor beyond borrowing the corpse of the villain. It's a not-bad plot with not-bad acting and not-bad effects with one massive, ridiculous plot twist. Enjoy the roulette of a 'who dies next' monster film if you can ignore the bad blood (I mean unconvincing fake blood) and cheesy lines.
½ June 5, 2012
entertaining for a B movie
May 13, 2012
Mildly interesting vampire flick. Sticks to too many conventions and doesn't take any chances at all. Story is very simple making it easy to follow. Disappointing for a Craven backed vehicle. Ending leaves you hanging; they obviously decided they were making a third installment while making this one, because the story just ends without resolution. Enjoyed the brooding performance of Lee and was pleased with Neal's work as well.
March 18, 2012
A group of young medical students come across a mysterious corpse that is very much burned beyond recognition. But this is no ordinary body. While examining the body, one of the students, Elizabeth Blaine (Diane Neal) accidentally pricks her finger on a fang that suddenly grows out of the corpse's mouth. Based on this as well as other circumstantial evidence, the students believe that this is not an ordinary human body, but rather . . . a vampire. The students decide that this "vampire" is worth the time to do some experiments on to determine whether they can discover the key to immortality and the like...

Leading the study is Professor Lowell (Craig Sheffer), the boyfriend of Elizabeth, and who is currently confined to a wheelchair due to cerebral palsy. Perhaps, this vampire corpse may be the key which leads to a cure not only for Lowell's sickness, but for all of mankind's illnesses. What they may discover in this vampire being could have the potential to make physical disease a thing of the past...

The students decide to "revive" the vampire, but little do they realize that once you start playing with fire, you can't extinguish the flames... The students discover that not only can this vampire come back to life; this vampire could very well be Dracula himself...

Father Uffizi (Jason Scott Lee) has been sent from the Vatican on a mission: to vanquish Dracula and his armies of darkness once and for all. But the only way to destroy Dracula is for Father Uffizi to grant him absolution. Because you see, Dracula in his previous life was the one and only Judas. (And please, don't ask me what this is all about -- I didn't write the story to this movie, I'm only reporting what I saw.)

Dracula II: Ascension is the much anticipated, long awaited sequel to Dracula 2000. Okay, I admit it . . . I'm outright lying. How many of you have even heard of, let alone seen, Dracula 2000? If you have heard or seen this movie, please raise your hands. I thought so...

The problem with Dracula II: Ascension is that it's both poorly written and very lethargic. We are never emotionally invested in these characters, with the possible exception of Father Uffizi. We don't really care about the characters' fates and quite frankly, the longer we watch this movie, the more we simply want to get it over with. The production values are outright cheap. The majority of the movie looks like it was filmed in an abandoned building. This film doesn't really have much atmosphere to spare either. Basically, this movie is a chore to watch. I would say that there is some decent gore in this film. This film has a fairly cool double decapitation sequence as well as numerous other beheadings. There is an insane bloodbath scene where a bathtub of blood revives Dracula and the usual chaos ensues. Finally, there is a rather gruesome moment where Dracula rips off a victim's face. The poor victim comes back to life and you see a close-up of the inside of his face in gory detail as he attacks the remaining survivors.

Jason Scott Lee (best known for his memorable performance as Bruce Lee in Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story) does a decent job and plays a credible lead hero. I like that there was some effort made to have Uffizi not an outright hero, but not a complete antihero either. The twist with his character is that Uffizi himself has been infected by the vampire curse and each day, he exposes himself to the sun, screaming in agony as his skin burns in hopes that the sunlight may get rid of his vampire curse. But he is never completely successful and each day, he struggles not to succumb to this curse. As for the rest of the cast, I really just didn't care about their performances. While I think the majority of them tried very hard to make the best out of this low-budget and boring movie, I get the sense that most of the actors are doing this simply for the paycheck and are trying to get this done and over with. You'll also notice that Roy Scheider's name is fairly prominent in the film's promotional advertising, but his cameo appearance lasts for a laughable five minutes at most.

Dracula II: Ascension is ultimately hampered by its extremely low budget and crude production. Despite the sincere efforts of both the cast and the crew, Dracula II: Ascension is simply unable to overcome its limitations. To be frank, this film is not really enjoyable even for cheap thrills. Just skip this one. Besides, I doubt you'll even come across this movie unless you're actively seeking this one out...