Dragon Ball Z: The History of Trunks - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

August 14, 2017
Oh My Future

What a Masterpiece of a Special
July 22, 2017
Boo not for me and I'm not a fan
½ April 28, 2016
Dragon Ball Z: The History of Trunks (1993) ??? 1/2
The best movie of the DB series is a powerful, beautifully directed piece if anime. Story involves Gohan and Trunk's desperate strive to stop the truly evil androids. Unusually somber for an action story, but uncommonly effective; with some terrific action sequences and painful climax. Ends on a downer I'm afraid.
October 17, 2015
Very Emotional Movie And It Had Me At The Edge Of Me Seat
August 12, 2015
wish they would make more tv specials !
August 3, 2015
Pretty fun. And tells a compelling story.
½ May 19, 2015
Goku suffered a heart disease and passed away. Then android 17 and 18 emerge and defeated & killed all the Z warriors, conquering Earth. Gohan grows up and he is the only one standing against them. Trunks is still a young boy. Finally, in one of the battle Gohan was killed as well. And Trunks got so sad and angry he finally transform into super Saiyan. He fight the duo but is not their match at all. Bulma complete the time machine for Trunks to go back the past and pass the medicine to Goku. That's where he fight Freiza mech and others. But a bit of extra bits -- Trunks after staying in the past training after Cell saga, came back to his real time frame, he easily defeated 17 & 18.
November 20, 2014
One of the better DBZ movies. Should be watched before watching the Trunks Saga.
August 9, 2013
Expanding the DBZ universe, we have a very emotional, action packed and unforgettable story that connects to the actual storyline present in the anime. There's a lot of good details here: the animation, music (directly from the series), fights, emotion and the main character, Trunks, a fan favorite. Can't ask for more.
November 28, 2012
Dark and serious, The History of Trunks is effective telling the backstory of one of the most popular characters from Dragon Ball Z, as well as being a prequel, of sorts, to the Android/Cell Saga of the series.
½ May 3, 2012
One of my 3 DBZ movie. Thrilling and deep. Know the future to change the past. I love this Gohan and Trunks incarnation.
April 14, 2012
cool i like the way Trunks fight
½ February 12, 2011
I thought it was pretty cool to see what could have happened instead of what really happened, and it was a very good and well made movie
December 30, 2010
LOVE IT! I ALSO LOVE DRAGON BALL Z!
December 12, 2010
Really great even tho I think dbz should of stopped after freza
November 18, 2010
I love Future Trunks so, of course, I was destined to love this special. The best part of this movie is watching Trunks grow into the young man that we first see him as in the series. This special made perfect sense in the fact that it has to go along with the time period of Dragonball Z because it is technically not a part of the series but rather side story that just says, "Hey, just in case you ever wondered here is what happened on Future Trunks' world." Definitely my favorite special and/or movie of Dragonball Z.
½ July 3, 2010
Go Gohan, kick some android ass one armed. Sweet. Although it doesn't entirely fit into the saga storyline cuz in Trunk's flashbacks there his mother was a little older.
½ April 12, 2010
This Anime is amazing and Im not that Much into Anime. I loved the Story, Characters and the Actors. They really did the Character development really well, and you actually cared for the characters. The best character was Gohan, and really brought the emotional side to the film. A problem for some is that it starts up, after the Frieza Saga, so this is for ppl who have seen, or watched the show. Recommended if you are into DBZ, Animation or Anime
January 15, 2010
This is a prequel of the Trunks saga. It explains what Future Trunks told the Z Fighters what happened in his timeline. Goku died of a heart virus and the rest of the Z Fighters consisting of:Vegeta,Krillin,Tien,Yamcha,and Piccolo go to kill the Future Androids #17 and #18.

Future Androids #17 and #18 kill the rest of the z fighters and 13 years later Future Trunks goes to fight Future Androids #17 and #18 and ends up being saved by Future Gohan which is actually the Gohan from the buu arc's alternate self from Future Trunks's timeline. Future Androids #17 and #18 provide some comic relief of Gohan's transformation from Normal Saiyan to Super Saiyan and how #17 has black hair and #18 has blonde hair.

Future Bulma is an awesome character,because it shows how much she cares about Future Trunks and Future Gohan,but still can be the fun loving comedic blue haired genious we DBZ fans have come to love. Other alternate dbz characters make appearances such as an older Chi-Chi wearing his clothes from the Cell arc and an older Ox King who would be the end of DBZ Ox King's alternate self and Puar,Oolong,Master Roshi,and Turtle in a sub underwater next to Master Roshi's island.

The fights with Future Gohan and Future Trunks versus Future Androids #17 and #18 are pretty short,because Future Gohan has to protect Future Trunks who becomes his pupil while trying to take on the Androids with all his strength.

Everything ties in well with Goku's death to Trunks going back in time at the end of the movie and arriving in the present in the Trunks Saga. Trunks's transformation into a Super Saiyan is achieved by him witnessing Future Gohan's death and unleashing his anger thus he becomes a Super Saiyan.

This is an awesome DBZ movie and is a must own for any DBZ fan.
½ September 27, 2009
Awesome. Trunks is the shit, and I thoroughly enjoyed watching this action packed character background story.