Dragon Ball Z: Battle Of Gods - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dragon Ball Z: Battle Of Gods Reviews

½ October 30, 2015
Completely a waste of time, this movie represents everything that isn't DragonballZ
½ October 17, 2015
Wouldn't Change Anything About This Movie Better Than The Dragon Ball Super Adaption
September 7, 2015
A most see if you like Dragon Ball even the slightest. Did very well to use it's characters and had lots of humor and was all in all thoroughly enjoyably entertaining.
August 26, 2015
Takes the grand battle of an invincible foe that Goku (and the rest of the gang) has to overcome into a hilarious and charming movie that fans of the show will enjoy for the lighter side of what made the show fun. A total blast to watch with fellow Dragonball lovers.
August 25, 2015
Probably the best Dragonball movie I've seen. You could tell that Toriyama had a hand in it. I really liked Lord Bills and his companion. What a treat.
August 21, 2015
love the movie it's funny
August 21, 2015
A quick, fun trip back to the world of Dragon Ball Z. This is a fun film - the bad guy (Beerus) isn't truly evil, so there's no real malevolence - and he's a cat! It;s also funny, with heaps of stupid moments = "let's turn this mother up!" Not great, but still great animation and enough to put a grin on your face.
½ August 15, 2015
I laugh every time at the pudding scene
Would get 5 stars but the cgi doesn't belong in these movies.
August 12, 2015
I adore Dragon Ball Z, but this was a terrible way to try to restart the franchise. Known for it's fast paced fight scenes sadly ends up having too much slow commentary although is filled with the slapstick humor that the fans know and love..also Beerus is a shite villian. I hate those cliched "hey im gonna blow up earth" and but after it all they are sort of friends? i hate hate hate it so much when they do that...besides that it was okay. just a waste of time that they even made the movie, but whatever 6/10
½ August 12, 2015
Dragon Ball z: Battle of Gods has everything you'd expect from a Dragon Ball Z movie. The film has the action, comedy and voice talents you'd come to expect from the original series.
½ August 12, 2015
The last time Dragon Ball was on the big screen outside Japan was the mediocre, alternate/wrongfully treated live-action adaptation "Dragonball Evolution." That film was the first since the 10th Anniversary film "The Path of Power." Now, Dragon Ball returns to the silver screen in "Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods" - released in Japan last year on March 30th - with the treatment the franchise deserves in the correct way.

Unlike the other films (they're unqualified to be reviewed since they're only less than an hour long, except for "The Path of Power"), this film is part of the anime's timeline. It sets place 5 years after the defeat of Maijin Buu, and 3 years after the arrival of Vegeta's younger brother Tarble.

After 39 years of napping, Beerus - a powerful, hotheaded, easily annoyed, catlike being with an occupation of the God of Destruction - has awaken and was notified by his mentor Whis that Freeza has been defeated by Goku. This has pique Beerus' interest while pondering the prophecy of the Super Saiyan God, and started to think that Goku fits the bill. The two took a visit to King Kai's place since Goku was there. Prior to their arrival, King Kai was notified telepathically by Kibito Kai and Old Kai of Beerus' early wake-up call and previous rampage. As it's the dawn of Beerus' awakening, it's also the start of the strongest battle to protect the universe from another of his rampage.

"Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods" is just a pleasant return to the anime's original timeline since the end of "Dragon Ball GT" and with the current "Dragon Ball Z Kai" as a revised version of "Dragon Ball Z."

The return dazzles with gorgeous animation at a new level for the anime that enhances the action sequences for anymore new adventures that continue on in the timeline (like the announced Battle of Gods sequel). There's also a pretty good balance of comedy (proven by the laughter of a full house like we're giving the film laughing tracks) of familiar jokes and comics. But the main flaw is the silliness that'd took away some of the characters' own prides - don't know if it's enough that could annoy Beerus.

The way the film's characterization was handled is similar to how the X-Men films were situated - except the Wolverine films and how "X-Men: The Last Stand" resulted. It's like to say that the film's director Masahiro Hosoda is like the Japanese version of Bryan Singer. Despite that few characters were given limited screen times and only a few to no lines, the film still feature the favorable characters that'd appeared in the franchise, including an unborn one.

"Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods" is an exciting addition that's fun and delightful seeing on the big screen (a once-in-the-lifetime opportunity I would say). It's what I was hoping for: no cuts that usually happen in the dub editing process. Not disappointing at all.

When the power level of the silliness could be large enough to make me rethink on the rating I've given it, the combined strength of the animation, humor and action that'd created the excitement overpowers that flaw.

After watching this film on the big screen than usually on smaller screens (televisions and online), this is obviously the best of the whole franchise. Now, off-topic, since I've seen Dragon Ball on the big screen, I need to catch Pok√ (C)mon in theaters when I get the chance similar to this. (A)
August 10, 2015
Pretty fun movie for a DBZ fan, but I wish there was more fighting and less slow-paced comedy.
½ August 10, 2015
Even if the Animations sometimes look too much like a dated Videogame, "Battle of Gods" is a great Throwback to one of the best Animes of all time
August 7, 2015
Is the best film ever!
August 7, 2015
Loved it. But then I was in it
½ August 3, 2015
Actually fantastic, hilarious, and a blast. And immense fun. IMMENSE fun. Couldn't have predicted this.
½ July 30, 2015
What would've been a decent ova is instead a horrible comedy even adam sandler would mock; some of our favorite characters get reduced to clowns with a horribly ridiculous buildup, and really short payoff, it appears that now dragon ball z is written for an age range of 3 to 5
½ July 24, 2015
Fantastic. Without a doubt the best Dragon Ball Z movie out there. I was glued to the TV the entire 90 minutes and never wanted it to end. Bills is an interesting and fun character that I hope to see more of in future films.
½ July 21, 2015
Very good. Liked the SSJG form.
July 16, 2015
It's a god like comeback for the saiyans. Welcome home to my heart.