Dragon Seed - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dragon Seed Reviews

February 29, 2016
In the beginning stages of watching this movie I
could not get my myself attached to the movie. The lack of Asian actors in any of the main or substantial roles was an immediate turnoff. As the further along I watched I was starting to understand probably around that time the English language was still
difficult for many of the Chinese to command, not just the fact that Hollywood of course was still operating under a bias and racist platform in the purest of form. I started to engaged in the story of a family whose love and loyalty toward not just each other but to the entire Chinese culture are being tested during the Japanese attacks pre WW2. Look past the odd makeup and get ups and one can see the acting by Hepburn and Huston along with others was adequate. This film does not have a standard to say for Hepburn to excel in this role. It does not call for her to shine because the story does not fit with her best qualities as an actress.
½ January 25, 2014
hepburn playing asian actually all asian roles played by white actors doesn't hold up well today
May 25, 2013
The script was rather ridiculous and Hepburn unconvincing.
March 2, 2012
A lavishly made war epic. Rather unusually cast with white actors playing many of the roles of the Chinese peasants. A product of the time it was made, showing the Japanese in a very unfavorable light. Nevertheless, I enjoyed it
½ October 9, 2010
I had no idea that Katherine Hepburn was Chinese. In fact, the majority of the oriental roles in this film was played by caucasian. How odd...
½ August 15, 2009
Using Katherine Hepburn as a CHINESE woman ruins this.
August 7, 2008
not katharines best film...but she still pulled out a good performance. the transformation they did on her face...was crazy!
December 3, 2007
A very odd movie. Too say the least.
So many American faces playing Chinese faces. Weird.

I saw it solely as a Katharine Hepburn fan.
And I have to say, while it is very odd, it is a pretty good movie.
A bit on the long side, it tells a fairly inspired story of poor Chinese citizens doing all they can to resist against Japanese invaders.
Hepburn, and Walter Huston in particular give great performances despite the culture clash.
October 14, 2007
Katharine Hepburn as a chinese woman? Oh, dear!
July 17, 2007
HAHAHAHA KATHERINE HEPBURN WITH HER EYES PULLED BACK
July 3, 2007
A heroic young Chinese woman leads her fellow villagers in an uprising against Japanese invaders. The use of caucasian actors and actresses in oriental roles significantly detracts from the film's realism. Based on Pearl S. Buck's novel of 1942. Acad...
June 6, 2007
Terrible, yet a treasure. Katharine Hepburn plays a CHINESE woman with her eyes pulled back and a weird look on her face. She doesn't blink the entire film. I believe all but one of the major cast members are actually asian, yet they are all asians in the story. You just have to see it to believe it.
May 11, 2007
Tried so hard to be poetic.
jjnxn
April 4, 2007
Katharine Hepburn as an oriental? You've been warned.
½ December 8, 2006
But she's not Asian...
November 9, 2006
Bye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
July 2, 2005
5.5/10. It was such an effort to use so many caucasian actors in asian roles, it really hurts the film when using asian actors would have been so much easier. This is one of Katherine Hepburns worst performances, she's not bad, but isn't good either. Aline MacMahon comes off best.