Dragonlance: Dragons of Autumn Twilight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dragonlance: Dragons of Autumn Twilight Reviews

½ July 25, 2016
To say they butchered the original story would be an understatement. It might be more appropriate to say they ran the novel through a wood chipper, then a paper shredder, burned the remains and made a story from what was left. The quality is more of what I would expect from high school students making their first animated short.
February 5, 2016
While I admit that it was nice seeing something with characters like Raistlin, Tasslehoff and Fixban, this Dragonlance film suffers from two major problems. The story is extremely junenile and in the veign of early early D&D and the animation isn't that great. Clunky 2d animation akin to 80s Saturday morning cartoons (think He-Man) with the odd CG dragon thrown in for a completely bizarre appearance.
But still... being a fan of fantasy, Dungeons and Dragons and even the DragonLance world, I managed to garner some enjoyment here even if it wasn't a recommendable amount.
½ October 13, 2015
Its been a few years since I watched this travesty to the franchise of the books. I have never found any old fan who thought this horrible film did any justice to just how great the books were. The books are built on nostalgia for me, as many other series blow DL in complexity and writing. BUT, it has such great characters a real movie (animated or not) would be a dream come true. If your a fan of the series of books stay away, its not even worth checking out because of fandom. It will make you very sad that it even exists.
½ January 10, 2015
Mediocre animation and shoddy CGI clash horribly together in this tiresome fantasy tale, riddled with cliche and phoned-in voice acting. I can't believe this was made in 2007! The animation is more 1987, and the CGI isn't even 1997! Back off to obscurity for you.
May 11, 2014
It only score this for nostalgia's sake.
January 8, 2014
This is among the worst animation I have ever seen. It's confusing with both cell drawings and 3D on the screen at the same time. As far as story, it is quite boring and contains none of the excitement provided by the book.
January 3, 2014
Bad animation, poor dialogue, descent story. Worth the watch if you are very bored and a fantasy fan, but you might aswell go with a syfy film instead.
March 19, 2013
I have been waiting for this movie for many years now.
September 3, 2012
A true to book showing of a classic heroic tale. The CG is more of a distraction than a help. If you like fantasy or the books themselves, give this a shot.
½ April 22, 2012
its unintentional hilarity is its sole redeeming value - if you like D&D, I'd stay away, or you might end up trying to swallow one of your 20-sided dies to end the pain; writing and animation are particularly bad, I like to imagine Chris Paolini handled both
½ April 18, 2012
Poor animation (some computer generated, some drawn) with an average story. Lots of potential as the Dragonlance book series are must reads if you like fantasy. Avoid.
April 8, 2012
not a bad dragon and magic story
March 4, 2012
For what it was, this film could have been a lot worse. The cast was good, but the animation was just god awful.
½ February 21, 2012
A DREADFUL adaptation of one of my favorite fantasy series of all time. Half-assed voice acting, jerky animation, and CG that would have been laughably bad in the 1990s.
June 14, 2011
Read the books. While it was nice to have a reminder of the story, this movie is not enjoyable to watch and I feel like the characters, while impressive, were miscast. Kiefer should have been Tanis. Anyway, I had high hopes and this was not all that great.
May 4, 2011
At the Inn of the Last Home 6 friends are reunited after years of searching amongst the world, for adventure, for power and for a sign that after 300 years the Gods of Light have returned to Krynn. Here Tanis Half-Elven (Michael Rosenbaum), Flint Fireforge (Fred Tatasciore), Tasselhoff Burrfoot (Jason Marsden), Caramon and Raistlin Majere (Rino Romano and Kiefer Sutherland), and Sturm Brightblade (Marc Worden) will meet Riverwind and Goldmoon (Phil LaMar and Lucy Lawless) barbarians from the plains. Goldmoon carries a Blue Crystal Staff, a staff that dark forces covet for at least one God has returned to Krynn, Takhisis the Queen of Darkness and with her have come her Dragon Armies to blanket the world in darkness for eternity. The Companions are forced into flight and then battle as the War of the Lance begins and the fate of Krynn hangs in the balance...

Based on the first novel in the Dragonlance Chronicles Trilogy. Not the prettiest animation but it does the job (note, this is rated PG-13 so don't let the kiddies watch it expecting a Disney cartoon). The voice acting is deceint (Sutherland makes a good wizard). However compressing the whole novel into 90 minutes causes things to feel rushed and the low budget shows. The story is left hanging at the end (and it doesn't look like parts 2 and 3 will be produced any time soon). That said I can't help but love this. Dragons of Autumn Twilight by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman was the first novel I read unprompted for my own pleasure and sparked my love of reading way back when I was a wee lad of 9 or 10. To be honest if your not a fan of the fantasy genra this isn't your cup of tea, for me however it reminds me of the first time I discovered the joy of where a story could take me and for that I give it 5 stars.
February 28, 2011
The books are absolutely awesome! I really hope they don't screw it up...

They really screwed this thing up, BADLY... I didn't mind the animation to much. It sucked but I was still able to look past it, at least somewhat, and, being a fan of the books, hope that the story at least complimented the books and it did NOT!! When I first heard of the movie I was really hoping that what with the movie adaptions of all the other fantasy novels, that they've been doing for the past several years, that they would turn this into something at least decent. Thinking that it was going to be live action, I held my breath all for nothing.

When I heard that it was animation I knew that it was going to be a massive disappointment but, even then there was still some very small hope... They deviated from the original storyline, from the books themselves, so much that I just don't have the will power to sit here and list them all...

What a horrible joke!
½ January 4, 2011
This looks like it was thrown together in a weekend. Poor quality all around, which I guess isn't a surprise, but still disappoints.
September 11, 2010
A film that is technically awful, but has some interesting flourishes if you are prepared to look past the appearances. Apparently based on a series of books, Dragonlance is very popular. Unfortunately, all it could manage for a feature length film is this low budget animation. The animation is reminiscent of late 80's/early 90's cartoons such as Conan, and He-Man. It is all very jittery and clunky. Sometimes it looks as though characters are being pushed around the screen. The makers theb decide dto make the dragon CG, despite not having the budget for it. It mixes in an uncomfortable blend. On the surface, their are too many similarities to Lord of the Rings. There are Men, Elves, Dwarfs and Wizards. They make an unlikely team that join together to vanquish evil. There is more in terms of complex emotions and quirks, but they barely have room to breath. The hero is the product of a rape, one of the team has sacrificed himself for great power and is not trusted, despite being liked. There's even a mad dragon that comes into play.A lot of nice stuff, but the quality just isn't there to pull it off. Perhaps one day a more complete picture will form, but for now, these are the equivalent to the LOTR animated films.
August 24, 2010
So cool to see the Epic dragonlance story being told, eventhough its a 80s quality cartoon its a story i love and have to give it stars just for that. This is 10 times better than the d&d films and i just hope that they make the other 5 aswell as hoping that oneday they will tell the epic Dragonlance story as a series of films.