Dragonlance: Dragons of Autumn Twilight - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dragonlance: Dragons of Autumn Twilight Reviews

July 20, 2010
I loved these books I watched this I under stand that there was not much funding for the film but they did stay true to form on book. In my opinion it was better told story than the one with the Wayne brother in it. I would love to see the other two books put into film
July 17, 2010
Trying to take a 450 page book and turn it into a 1:40 long movie just didn't work. While they hit upon the highlights of the book, it seemed like a drive by of the novel, instead of an actual portrayal. They also revealed too much about Fizban and completely ignored the Everman. Only watch if you have read the Chronicles first.

(The CGI creatures were annoying. Stick with animation.)
½ July 6, 2010
Dragonlance is my favourite DnD setting. But I don't like the movie.

It's really ugly to fix an old cartoon style (the characters and scenes are digital draw) and 3D (for the dragons)

The story was to fast, no way to elabor the character psychology.

Don't like the side story of the golden hair Lord Verminaar.

Again Wizards have ruined the DnD saga on Silverscreen.

Good Point: The main story is very just versus the book.
½ May 12, 2010
I eventually for around to buy this as I am a D&D fan and played when I was around ten. I watched the cartoons on a Sunday morning and never read the novels but all the classic styles were there which I expect from classical D&D. You won't be impressed if you do not have a decent amount of knowledge about D&D and take your movie experiences too seriously. I've seen worse, which is basically saying that the animation wasn't up to current standards. Cult viewing at the most. One for the fans.
March 14, 2010
It's simultaneously good and bad. The animation is awful, and the CGI is extremely poorly mixed in.
½ January 24, 2010
January 24th. When the sun went down on a sunday night, there I was with a lot to do on my hands, but a will to procrastinate.

Wandering through the depths of YouTube, I have found out that there?s been a Dragonlance animation movie out since 2007. I couldn?t resist the impulse. On I went to find a torrent of it, with little luck, but my good lord Google came upon me with this finding from Mega Upload, and on I went to download.

Hereby I feel the need for a good mention towards the Mega Upload crew. The download went blazing fast at all the speed my 6MB cable can hanlde, and in 30 minutes I had the movie in my hands.

Ok, enough with the Rorschach thing, I promise lol.

I was really excited about watching a movie made from the great first Dragonlance trilogy, but man, what a deception!

First thing worth mention is the awesomely crappy job the 20-name 3D animators / modelers team pulled off. The draconians look like they?ve come out of 1996 3D game, and the dragons look plastic. The animations are completely flawed and the rendering with little to no shadowing at all. They?ve used this lame excuse of a 3D production for the entire introduction to the movie, some scenarios, AND all draconians and dragons. Did I mention it sucks yet? Because it totally does.

Next, the voice acting. Have you ever seen a video game with bad, overly done voice acting? It?s the same feeling you get from the Dragonlance animation. The acting is either completely empty on acting, or completely overdone. The voices don?t match the characters all too well, except for maybe Tasslehoff and Flint, but even those two suffer from the overacting.

Then you?ve got the 2D character animations. The frame rate is so low it had myself looking for performance problems in my computer, as most of the time it seems like the movie is doing frame skipping. And no, it wasn?t my computer AT ALL. This is a simple Xvid encoded file with mp3 audio, even hardware DVD players can handle it just fine.

As a finishing touch, they?ve cut the story short in all good moments from the book, from the escape from Solace, to the visit to the black dragon, it?s all butchered, cut, and thrown together in what feels absolutely shallow. They also butchered the story itself, having Goldmoon kill the black dragon instead of finding the temple of Mishakal, and becoming a priest out of nowhere. She doesn?t save Riverwind either, she ends up saving Tanis from death.

Did I mention they give you in the greatest finding about the whole story, that Fizban is Paladine, by the end of the first book? And also completely out of nowhere!

Unfortunately this was one project with a huge potential, since the book is great, but that turned out into the same piece of shit quality standard of the other D&D franchise movies. I just hope they don?t do this to Icewind Dale anytime soon.
January 23, 2010
I screened this movie tonight for the first time. I would admit that reviews pushed me away from watching it until now. I decided to after reading the last trilogy "Lost Chronicles" over the past 2 weeks. I'll front by saying I have read the original 2 Dragonlance trilogies at least 5 times over the years, about once every 5 years. I have read dozens of the other better books based on them over the years. Hell, I played the original games back on my C64 back in the day. So lets get to the movie. I expected really bad things from it and I'll simply say that I appreciate the fact that the film was made period. Did it have the best graphics... no.. but not as bad as I was expecting. You know what, the story was done as best it could be done in an hour and a half. I enjoyed it and felt like I was back home with my old friends. I sure wish it could be done better... AKA Lord of the Rings like. Maybe it will some day. I do believe Dragonlance is a true sleeper/cult classic... Hell I actually have friends who named children after people in them (how many "Frodo's" do you see out there? Every online RPG you play is packed full of Raistlins to this day. I think this movie is a must watch for true fans and they can get over the obvious issues with the cartoon to enjoy it. Thats why I give it a 60%, I will watch it again in another 5 years right after I read the books a 6th time.
½ January 10, 2010
Despite the voice actors, the film is a disappointment. The art style is simplistic and the Dragonlance story deserves much better. The only thing that makes this watchable is the Dragonlance story, which is still compelling. Too bad we might not get to see the complete Dragonlance story? Oh, and the mix of 3D dragons with 2D art is a mistake.
½ January 2, 2010
Read the series as a kid (loved it), so once I saw this animated version on DVD I had to grab it... I've done so many stupid things in my life... stay away from this poorly animated douche milkshake... worse than that live version of Dungeons and Dragons.
December 30, 2009
I am a fan of the original book series and I am VERY afraid of this movie especially seeing as I am just now hearing about it YEARS after it came out. However I feel the need to watch it Kinda like a train wreck. It's horrifying but you just can't help but watch it happen.
December 24, 2009
This should be awesome
½ December 18, 2009
Read the book instead. The caracters are everything in this story and the poor animation didn't capture them. But it is nice to see it come to life anyway, just could have been better.
½ November 29, 2009
WAAAY disappointed. Series was awesome!
½ November 28, 2009
100% rip off LotR =o=
November 25, 2009
Terrible animation that looks like it's straight out of an 80's cartoon combined with awful CGI animation that looks like it's from the cinematics of a computer game from 10 years ago. It streamlines and condenses much of the book, and what we do get just comes across as a big LoTR ripoff. This is in no small part because the books were that to some extent, of course. The voice-overs by Kiefer Sutherland (as Raistlin) and Lucy Lawless (as Goldmoon) were great. The rest of the voice acting was mediocre to horrible, though it may have been due to a paucity of good lines. The only reason I kept watching was to see how well it aligned with my memory of the book, which I haven't read in 14 years.
November 19, 2009
Shitty, second rate animation, a very dervivative storyline, and sluggish in some parts, but not terrible, The impressive voice cast do alot here, and it helps.
November 14, 2009
Based on a great book, but the animation is really crap. It's sad they failed so badly the Lancedragon franchise.
½ October 16, 2009
It didn't even come close to the books so it was really disappointing but as far as a movie goes it was good.
September 23, 2009
Very disappointing. The mix of the two different animations is terrible. Story was pretty bang on though, but the bad animation overshadowed it.
September 23, 2009
ok story, would have been good to see more, or as part of a long series. For some reason everything is 2d apart from the dragons which are done in 3d, makes it look quite weird when they are in scenes.