Dreadnaught - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dreadnaught Reviews

½ May 21, 2013
A landmark collaboration between Yuen Woo-ping, Yuen Biao and the legendary Kwan Tak-hing (made 70+ movies as Wong Fei-hung starting in the 40's). "Rollicking kung fu with lots of humor" Hilarious and amazing ending. A classic.
½ October 27, 2012
Dubbed martial arts flick about White Tiger, billed on the box as the most frightening bandit in movie history. While not physically imposing at probably no more than 150 pounds, his face paint is reminiscent of scary metal singer King Diamond.
July 30, 2012
Dreadnaught may not satisfy hardcore kung fu fans with there not being as many fight scenes as you'd expect but the film makes up for it with loads of uniquely glorious action scenes such as the lion dance scene and the "laundry kung fu" scenes. There are still lots of fantastic fight scenes featuring Yuen Woo Ping's direction in top form. The typical lame humor and dated qualities are somewhat tolerable with it not being as horrific as some other films of the era and with there even being one or two fairly humorous moments. Overall, Dreadnaught is a hugely enjoyable film with great unique action scenes .
October 21, 2011
Talking about good plot?No,there isn't any good plot in here,a same revenge story.While actions?Ha,it's absolutely amazing,choreographed by Yuen Family members and directed by Diector Yuen Woo Ping,One of his best I guess,for Yuen Biao,I'm not sure but he did a great role in here and nice lion dance sequence.A must see,it's pure fun,believe me.:)
June 9, 2011
Kung fu action with meek laundry man battling outlaw White Tiger, looking like member of Demolition tag team decked out in facepaint despite trying to avoid police attention. Unfortunate comic bits hold this down but the lion dance is impressive.
½ October 12, 2010
Woo-ping Yuen brings some of his best choreography to the table in this fun martial arts comedy.

Yuen Biao plays Mousy, a clumsy and cowardly laundry boy who has trouble with confrontation. Everyone but him is good at martial arts, but he must find the courage within when a rival school to his master harbours a psychotic killer.

The movie has a reputation for being well paced, even though the fights are not until the end, the movie has some great scenes. The lion dance, the Eagle Claw laundry training, it always entertains. Especially creepy is the theatre fight scene, in which Mousy's buddy Ah Foon must fight a creepy two headed demon mask fighter.

Boasting a highly inventive fight scene at the end where Mousy fights the killer with the only martial arts attack his sister taught him, Dreadnaught is a fine martial arts film.
July 10, 2010
Thought I seen it all when in comes to fight scenes and choreography in old school martial art movies after seeing many including knockabout, drunken master etc, but that's only until recently. After watching Dreadnaught, I realised how wrong I was! You never know when you'll find another impressive old school martial arts movie!
Impressed with how amazing traditional style choreography can be, (Yuen Wo Pings and Yuen Biao's old stuff never fails to impress!), especially with the Lion Dance and Kwan Tak Hing curing his patients with medicinal fire.
Average story,
amazing traditional martial arts, acrobatics from Peking Opera and some great old school martial art stunts (the lion dance on the bridge of stools). All expected from an old kung fu filick!

Note: Chris O'Donnel in Batman Forevers tries to shamelessly copy off Yuen Biao's atheletism, artisitry and flexiblity. Only to fail, as Yuen Biao has an amazing size where he is drying and wringing laundry using his toes, ankles and feets, and showing of amazing choreogrpahy flexiblity mixed artistically into a fiction martial arts forms.
Chris O'doneel as a simialr scene in Batman Forever and it is just crap! LOL!
½ June 2, 2010
Old school Kung Fu flick that is jam packed with over the top fight sequences and stunts that will blow your mind. A deranged criminal is hiding out in the city and causes all sorts of choas til a final showdown takes places. Classic Kung Fu at it's finest.
February 21, 2010
One of my all time favorite Kung Fu flicks. Fights scenes must be seen to believe.
½ October 27, 2008
½ June 19, 2008
After his wife is killed, criminal outlaw is turned into a serial killer named White Tiger. Mousy (Yuen Biao) inadvertently triggers more of White Tiger's rage by jingling his bell necklace - reminding White Tiger of a similar jewelry worn by his wife. Now, it's up to Mousy to defeat the serial killer (who's also a kung fu expert by the way). Fortunately, Mousy has great laundry skills - which happens to be the long lost Two Finger Pinching Stance!

Also stars the Kwan Tak-Hing (75 years old and still lethal) who plays Wong Fei Hong, the legendary Chinese folk hero. Kwan has played Wong Fei Hong over a hundred times that it's not hard to believe people actually believing that he's the real Wong Fei Hong.

There are some classic scenes here particularly the Lion Dance sequence. Forget what you see during Chinese new year in Ongpin or Chinatown or most commercial establishments. This is the real deal. (I've uploaded the video)

Yuen Woo Ping, most famous for his action choreography in the Matrix and Kill Bill directs this one. So expect great action fight scenes.

Part action, part comedy, this is a real gem among vintage Hong Kong movies. These types of movies were very popular during the 1980s and up to now, these movies are definitely worth watching again and again.

Story: 5/10
Boredom Factor: 2/10
Pace: Fast
Talk to Action Ratio: 3:7
Fight Choreography: 7/10
Watch Again Rating: 7/10
Overall: 7/10
½ June 2, 2008
Dreadnaught features Yuen Woo Ping's extreme talent for choreography and action direction. Fan's of any of his other work will no doubt be very pleased to sit through this oddly titled film. Also, fans of Yuen Biao (that's me), will also be very happy to pick this one up, (although, like "Circus Kids" his role in the film could be argued as criminally underused).

Again, set in Ming Dynasty China, this film sees the plight of Mousy (Biao), who happens to be a very shy, in-confident, and even cowardly laundry worker. His nature is revealed when we witness him trying to collect laundry debts from various townspeople - they push him around and give him nothing.

All the while, an evil and eccentric killer "White Tiger" takes pleasure in terrorising anyone who happens to be around, and, unfortunately for Mousy, he seems to be high on Tiger's list. But, again, like most Kung Fu films, it's not so much what is done, but rather how they do it. Thankfully, Dreadnaught does well in it's direction and choreography, but it does not excel.

Credits list Biao as the star, but I believe Leung Ka-Yan (who is Mousy's older brother in the film) deserves equal billing - they certainly have equal screen-time. "Foon", played by Ka-Yan, is a more well-rounded martial artist, and a student of the legendary Wong Fei Hung (played brilliantly and hilariously by Kwan Tak-Hing a la "Magnificent Butcher). The scene involving a rather violent tailor is worth the sitting alone.

Dreadnaught seems more of an unfocused film as compared to Woo Ping's other work(s). "Drunken Master" for example had a clear, snappy and balanced screenplay. We knew where we were supposed to be at in terms of all the plot elements. Dreadnaught fails on these grounds, and it's action sequences do not mesh pleasurably with the dialog as they do in Drunken Master.

I was expecting a "Snake in the Eagle's Shadow" for Yuen Biao, but rather, I see this film as three main action sequences starring various cast, tied together with the broad characterisation of Mr. White Tiger. It is by far one of the better Kung Fu films out there, but I'm afraid Yuen Woo Ping's other works do the same thing but better.
½ November 8, 2007
Started to get into hong kong movies and picked this up. Some of the fight scenes are amazing for its time. The lion dance fight is amazing as said before. The acrobatics of all the actors are very impressive, the way they do marital arts with fire, clothes, etc..The story is a little weak, but the comedy parts are not bad. The english subtitles are very bad on the copy I saw.
August 22, 2007
One of Yuen Woo-Ping's finest films in both choreography and comedy. Also one of Yuen Biao's finest starring moments. Definitely watch this for the memorable double faced fighter scene.
July 27, 2007
This is one of the few Kung-Fu movies I watched in the eighties that I still remember really well. I guess that's because I copied it and watched it about 10 times. The fight scene with the dragons is amazing, and the zero to hero plot is good and hilarious.
June 26, 2007
Not one of Yuen Biao's best.
June 22, 2007
One of the best Kung-Fu movies ever made. Saw it in the early eighties thanks to Hilltop Video R.I.P
June 15, 2007
This is the best Kung-Fu movie ever made.
June 6, 2007
Even in its English dub, it's still a classic and very well produced (considering the time and place) martial arts / comedy. Has a special place in my collection.
½ May 12, 2007
One of my favorite foreign and martial arts films. The dragon fighting sequence is one of a kind.