The Dreamlife of Angels Reviews

• Oct 01, 2017

Good story about two single women and how the choices the two make effect their lives. One makes poor choices and the other good choices. Some may say the poor choices are desperate. Yep. Good movie.

• Feb 25, 2015

annoyingly boring. Bouchez's role as an androgynous infantile vagabond is just flippant. Her whispy voice, laissez-faire comportement, and ragged costumes suggests she's actually one of the lost boys of wonderland. Nothing really happens in this lazy 2h disillusionment.

• Jul 29, 2013

This little indy French film is very well written, srtongly acted by two ladies who have since shown how amazing actresses they are & produced with great honesty, never trying to fool anyone or being something it isn't. This is a simple story of two struggling young ladies who survive from odd jobs to plan B, but everything changes when one of them falls in love with a manipulative young man and slowly dive into madness, reckless behavior & anger. Two angels, one choosing the light of hope the other the darkness of an impossible love. A beautiful piece of cinema like only the French know how to do!

John B Super Reviewer
    Jun 26, 2013

A charming set of gals from two much different backgrounds become friends and collide their lives with a number of trying life situations. Very watchable.

• Apr 27, 2012

One of the better recent French films, with a pair of knockout performances from Bouchez and Reignier. Lovely largely handheld camerawork; lovely off-the-cuff low-budget filmaking.

• Apr 06, 2012

A rather morose, sombre and slow going film....good realistic acting however from the two leading actresses.

• Dec 22, 2011

Intense drama..the tension between the characters is so high and the performance so good that they get you all worked up....will stay with you for a while !

• Dec 02, 2011

Brilliantly acted and startlingly realistic but unfortunately it didn't interest me much beyond that

• Oct 15, 2011

The film was nice. It has an extremely slow pace and is held together with the thinnest thread of a narrative, preferring a more dreamy, contemplative tone than a story lead drama, very much like Alexis dos Santos' movies in that way, but with a little more drama and a little less character. I liked the film, and in particular the free-form narrative. That style of telling a story, with that tone can create such an atmosphere for the viewer that it's most impossible not to be captivated by the story you're being told. It's almost hypnotising in that sense, in that you can become so attuned to the film that you can feel the characters and their emotions. However. The film isn't perfect. The pacing can sometimes backfire, and create a bit of a void in the story, leaving the viewer waiting for something to move the thing on. The characters themselves seem to just float a bit annoyingly around, with hints that they're troubled, but never really is their psyche explored. A final criticism: I guess because of it's time, when perhaps films tended to be a little more tame, the director seems to resist the idea of really getting explicit; really thrusting the ideas that are played with into any meaningful imagery. For example, we understand that one of the characters deals with abandonment by flinging herself into people sure to abandon her, but the movie is gentle with how it portrays this. I would have preferred to have been a bit more upset by the camera work so I could emote more with the character. This will perhaps make more sense if you see the film and understand the theme. You should see this film because of the atmosphere. You shouldn't see this film if you're bored by films that are ALL about the atmosphere.

• Arianeta L Super Reviewer
    Jul 14, 2011

Dreamlife of Angel's is one of several "reasons" why I enjoy foreign films. It is not dependent on "star" power, computer generated images, overt violence, or scenes with fantastic stunts. What it has are characters which are richly developed, believable, showing emotions which are palpable and for whom we can care. What we find out here is simple is sometimes best This movie is the perfect example to see how an accomplished and talented actor makes a movie come to life and seem absolutely real, for that is what both Elodie Bouchez and Natasha Regnier achieve in this film. Which performance is better? I think that is a draw. Bouchez and Régnier shared the Best Actress award at the 1998 Cannes Film Festival for their work in this movie. Indeed it is hard to choose between them. Both are wonderful brilliant and more importantly real. I cannot imagine ANY Hollywood actress playing these roles. Now I don't like to be too nice about the French but this film confirms my long-held suspicion that their films are the best. They may not make as much money as US films but at least they offer something of substance. Clearly, this is not a feel-good movie. And no, it's not about beautiful people living in beautiful houses with beautiful clothes. It's about the real life of two normal people and, although that might not appear to be a recipe for a particularly fascinating film, I was enthralled. This film provides just that: a window into an aspect of humanity that leaves us feeling vulnerable. Rarely do we see a story that not only entertains and recounts events so naturally, but also reveals truths about ourselves that we're usually too cowardly to face. The delivery of the facts is so natural that we feel almost ashamed to be looking into the lives of the two main characters. Yet we remain glad we did it