Dreams on Spec - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dreams on Spec Reviews

½ June 14, 2016
"I can't really stand movies anymore. I have to say. Because when I go see a movie what I see are peoples' first and second drafts. Not everybody sees that, but what I see is writers who did not do this much work. I see phoning-it-in, and it drives me insane because I'm out here working. And there are people out there who do what I do. I'm not the only one. But it's like, why aren't the scripts that are worked, and are tended to, and well-written, why aren't those the ones that are getting made, and putting millions of dollars into? When you go to a movie, it should be something great. It should be something better than you could knock off over a weekend. If it's not great, then why isn't it great? Because there are people who are great, so why are you producing these peoples' crap when you've got great people in little offices like this all over LA, not to mention the whole world?"
August 3, 2011
I loved this documentary! Dreams on Spec felt like a true journey following these three screenwriters that were trying to make their raw creative ideas come to life. My heart went out to all three of them, going through life as a creative person it is very hard to sustain a safe and secure living. All I can really say is that I do hope that all of them do continue writing and sharing the stories that are born in their imaginations. And I will say pizza is usually the answer to many creative problems.
½ September 22, 2010
I would like to see more documentaries about the film business.
½ June 2, 2010
very interesting topic. i would've liked to hear more direct feedback from the"pros" to aspiring people.
½ April 14, 2010
Damnit I SWORE I wrote up a thingy on this already. Whatevs. Here's another one.

Available for free streaming on Hulu. Of special interest to fans of Behind the Mask:The Rise of Leslie Vernon as its screenwriter is a subject.

Follows the stories of three first time screenwriters trying to sell their scripts. Should be viewed by all aspiring film-makers as a reality check on the biz. Decent structure, but I felt the makers did not prod the subjects enough. Cool to see the development of "Leslie Vernon", was surprised the writer only got 20g for it. Was more surprised that the L.A. based former development exec with all her biz friends wasn't able to get her movie made; it seems she had a breakdown and I was annoyed that the film-makers did not follow her more closely. The guy who claims he could be "making millions" day trading but has spent three years on the same unsellable script is pretty laughable; he should obviously go back to trading, pay off his mortgage, then take his profits and fund his movie himself (which it's shown he did before, but he never got distribution - maybe he should also invest in self-distributing digitally).

I was very annoyed that this film never showed us any important negotiation deals.
April 2, 2010
A nice balance between real and aspiring writers.
½ March 14, 2010
Oh boy, this documentary shows you the big deal, 3 stories of 3 screenwriters who are trying everything to make their screenplays into film, determination is the only thing that matters, a look behind one of the most frustrating, underrated and rejected works of all, but yet the most important for every film, the screenwriting.
The pursue of dreams,but you never know how that dream is gonna come up . The documentary shows you the whole process, dificulties, frustration, hard work and ultimately how the screenwriters are the real martirs of the cinema industry
½ January 5, 2010
as someone who has written two spec scripts and has been working on two more i found this really interesting. basically we see different people who've achieved different levels of success with their scripts and we follow them around a bit and see what happens in their lives. we also hear from professional scriptwriters about the business.
September 2, 2009
A thoughtful expose on the life of a screenwriter. It depicts the successful, the newly successful, the wannabees and those who try and fail. Makes me, now more than ever, want to produce my own stuff because that way you 1) know it'll get done and 2) won't get changed by someone who doesn't respect my vision. Gotta wonder where was Buddah when his disciple was failing at her career?
February 21, 2009
A somewhat depressing look at the plight of the aspiring screenwriter.
July 29, 2008
Could be interesting but is basically just boring.