Dredd - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dredd Reviews

September 3, 2012
Intriguing and exhilarating, Dredd makes up for its occasionally ridiculous over violence with strong performances and well directed action scenes.
May 21, 2016
best movie y have seen in a while, I have just finished seeing this movie and it is awesome, I haven't found a single flaw in this movie.
May 14, 2016
Way better than i expected. Karl Urban is the embodiment of Judge Dredd, and the story is compeling enough to keep you interested.
½ May 8, 2016
This one of the most visually breathtaking movies in recent years and tells a much better story than most would expect. Karl Urban brings more emotion and humanity to the character of Dredd than all of Stallone's face ever could, and brings us along for one of the best action movies in recent memory. It's The Raid Redemption times 10 with some of the most creative use slow motion filming.
October 8, 2012
This movie was a goddamn video game...and I loved all of it! Writer Alex Garland used his experience on his failed Halo draft to create an engaging and violet incarnation of of another hero who never takes off his helmet. They stray close to cracking his personality, but they knew what movie they wanted to make and said "FUCK THAT!". And the movie was all the better for that. Bloody, Violent, Decent 3D. Pure Fun.
May 1, 2016
Dredd was really good surprisingly, I didn't expect it to be this good! Here's what I liked/disliked.

Positives:
1. Karl Urban as Dredd, wow he was awesome. He has a very cheesy exaggerated expression and all the better for it, his character just oozes cool and he has some funny moments as well as badass moments! Olivia Thirlby was really good, I honestly felt for her character and she was a great sidekick. Lena Headey as Ma-Ma was just disgusting and her performance was so convincing, you just love to hate her and she did a great job portraying that character.

2. Visuals, style and action; I loved the visuals, this movie is shot well and looks good. The slow-mo scenes are surprisingly gourgeous and this movie is just shot so well. This film is pretty self-aware, it has some cheesy acting but it works for this film honestly and I like the post-apocolypse setting that is realistically portrayed, well for the most part. The action is great, its filmed so well, no shaky cam and quickcut crap. Its all steady and easy to follow.

Negatives:
1. My only negatives is that this film doesn't really have enough substance, the story is very simple and the acting is very serviceable. I'm not saying having a simple story and acting is a bad thing but this film doesn't really offer much in terms of substance. I also thought some scenes were a little over the top and some of the special effects especially the minigun shootout were bad.

Overall:
I liked Dredd, it's a really well made action movie. Its kinda like Robocop in a way and it does borrow some elements from other sci-fi films but it uses those elements to convey its own original premise and it in the end it worked great!
December 9, 2015
Fast paced, action packed, and keeps a realistic vibe for a fictional film. The grim atmosphere adds to the edginess and creativity. I'd pay for a sequel.
April 25, 2016
Dredd is a fun and visually striking film, it doesn't have substance though, but that doesn't matter when you have an awesome action movie like this.
½ April 24, 2016
A Massive Improvement For Dredd.

'Vantage Point' (2008) director Pete Travis pays homage to probably the most well known character from Eagle Comics, and after a nearly 20 year hiatus from the big screen.

Dredd is a fantastic action film from beginning to end, and doesn't leave much room to rest between sequences. Right from the start he begins by narrating in that deep, and resonant voice (much respect given to Karl Urban for maintaining it throughout), a man of no pity, a man who has witnessed and deals in death his whole life. A man who has a terrible burden of trying to maintain law and order in Megacity One. After a lifetime of battling the worst that humanity has to offer, he finds himself teamed up with a complete rookie, who is at the bottom of her class, and a near washout in the Judge program. She has a hidden talent that may come in useful, but this is her chance to graduate. Eager, intelligent, and naive, she teams up with Dredd for her final examination, the investigation into 3 gangland deaths that will ultimately lead them into a deathtrap.

You don't watch something like this to analyze plot devices, and character development. This one is strictly for the fans. Technology has come a long way since the Stallone version from 95', and they certainly used some beautiful (and grotesque) 3D imaging throughout the film, but it stands well in a regular format as well. This is leaps and bounds beyond the first film, and it keeps you seated for the whole ride.

Notably, there is some criticism of this film, in relationship to an Indonesian action called "The Raid: Redemption; which is a spectacular movie in itself. The argument is did Pete Travis steal the main setting and plot device (arresting a major drug gang while moving floor by floor through and apartment building, only to be attacked by the residents inside). Curiously they are very similar, but you have to admit, even if 'Dredd' is a copy... it's a fantastic one at that.

It may not be a perfect film, but it's must for fans of the Judge.

3.5/5
April 22, 2016
absolute class this movie has couldn't of done it better myself, can't wait for another one... 10 stars
April 13, 2016
Such a great character, and film.
October 17, 2012
I'm gonna go and say this is one of the funest most thrilling movies i have seen this year.
Grade: C+
½ April 6, 2016
'Dredd' is a delightfully linear gory action movie
It's like a video game where the hero character will have to fight through the levels to meet the big boss.
Karl Urban's chin is not quite strong enough to hold that Dredd character at the physical level. One of the other judges look more like Dredd from the comic books. What Urban got right was the character's attitude, and dialed up at 999% ham.
April 5, 2016
A fine comic book action movie that still entertains for the majority of it.
November 13, 2013
this movie was really good, it had lots of action
I'm glad they picked Karl Urban for this role
July 25, 2013
Crazy good movie for one I had heard very little about. Kudos to Karl Urban and Cersei for pulling this movie off.
January 18, 2013
if is a Good Movie DREDD Joe
½ November 20, 2014
An unportentous, grungy, dark, sci-fi action bloodbath that slams on the gas and never lets up.
March 27, 2016
Best use of 3D i have ever seen, Karl Urban nailed it and hell ya did not remove the 'Helmet' to show his face. Simple and well done, totally unexpected, loved it.
October 2, 2012
Dredd is the glory of every B-movie action flick to identify itself. A lot of what's happening in the movie may seem a bit muddled or sometimes at the point where it may be too much at once but it really is the fun part of what makes the movie so awesome. Karl Urban throws on a gritty and unflinching performance as the protagonist judge who never does reveal his face. Luckily though, he employs some some good lower face expressions so he doesn't just seem like a lifeless, killing machine. Olivia Thirlby and Lena Headley are as equally enjoyable and there's a great deal of slow motion action sequences and cool 3D fights for our action movie dwellers to enjoy