Dredd - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dredd Reviews

½ March 26, 2017
Way better than i expected. Karl Urban is the embodiment of Judge Dredd, and the story is compeling enough to keep you interested.
½ March 24, 2017
Those who slammed Stallone for looking ridiculous in the Judge outfit now owes him an apology. In comparison to Urban's smaller head being stuffed into an oversized helmet, coupled with straining to hold the ever-present Dredd snarl, makes Sly seem perfect for the role after all. The best part of this movie is the female partner's ultra-cool mental ability to bring baddies into her turf - the mind. I also never seem to tire of guns that shoot an unlimited number of bullets.
March 24, 2017
Fun, intense, and beautifully shot, Dredd is an action film that definitely isn't for kids. Its violence is brutal and over-the-top, which is definitely a good thing. I've never read the comic books, but it definitely does them justice. To top it all off, it features what is probably Karl Urban's best performance to date-without even showing the top half of his face.
March 12, 2017
Love this movie! This is the correct Dredd and how a movie should be done. They need to do another and this time promote it properly This is now a cult classic!
½ March 11, 2017
This hyper stylized, bombastic, grotesquely violent thrill ride is just an absolute blast from start to finish.
March 9, 2017
Surprising that someone remade a movie that was so awful in the first place. It slightly beats the horrid Stallone version.
February 25, 2017
This is what I prefer over the 1995 movie. They got right what the Sylvester Stallone movie failed to do. They kept the helmet on throughout the entire movie, just like they did in the comics. Also, they didn't feature the annoying Rob Schneider. Granted that the 1995 movie was a guilty pleasure, but the 2012 version is much, much better. Karl Urban is a better Dredd than Stallone. That's my honest opinion and I'm sticking to it.
February 25, 2017
Violent and straight to the point.
February 24, 2017
It's good movie to watch
February 18, 2017
Highly brutal but very engaging. Has a lot going for it even without the inevitable comparison to the 1995 version - sticks closer to the feel of the original comics, our title character doesn't take off his helmet (which gives a better ideal of him being an almost inhumanly unflagging and unrelenting pillar of justice), and there's a sense of desperation in the Mega City One inhabitants that gives a fantastic dystopian edge to the tale which sets it well apart from Stallone's almost day-glo effort. Best of all, this version seems to be almost an origin story for Judge Anderson - a very welcome addition of the beloved character, who very gratefully isn't relegated to being the love interest or even unnecessarily oversexualised, and is also only briefly turned into a McGuffin in need of rescuing. Only sticking point really is the almost shocking levels of gore and a leaning toward glorification of violence, and at times this also gives a streak of black humour which is only funny perhaps half of the time. The three principals are excellent in their roles - Urban once again showing his versatility in a role where he had to bring an Eastwood-high level of grim persistence and some nuance of humanity, Thirlby's Anderson isn't the seasoned veteran but her rookie vulnerability lets the audience into the world, and Headey once again expertly portrays the evilly charismatic villain.
½ February 4, 2017
Maybe it is more for fans of the comic, but I hated it. I even prefer Stallone's version to this, it's dreadful (no pun intended).
½ January 28, 2017
It may be too bloody and gory for the faint-hearted but you know what makes Dredd an entertaining film? It remains faithful to its source material in such a way that even those who aren't familiar with the comics will find something to enjoy. Whether it's the slow-motion drug scenes, the bloody violence or dark humour you'll probably have a good time. Karl Urban shines as the titular Judge and remains true to his comic book counterpart as a guy who never takes his helmet off and doesn't speak more than he has to with the moments that he does talk being in a serious and emotionless voice. An entertaining and occasionally satirical movie that will please action aficionados.
½ January 21, 2017
Hmm...That was different. In a mostly good way of course. Can't say I was entirely blown away to be honest. The SLO-MO effect sequences are gorgeous, that's for sure, Urban gives a badass portrayal as Dredd, it's to-the-point and relentless, and absorbingly gritty. Ultimately it feels like a simple gory shoot-em-up dressed up in its visuals and aesthetics. I liked it, didn't love it, basically. Don't look for deep character development here, or a deep story, that's not the purpose of this film. Just have fun watching Dredd kick ass. I repeat, I didn't love it, but I'll say this: the skyscraper setting(Mama's compound), futuristic time frame, and Dredd, is like a combination of Robocop, Die Hard and The Raid. If that's not enough of a recommendation I don't know what is.
January 14, 2017
I thought better than original.
½ January 6, 2017
A great action movie that captures much more the feel of the comics than the earlier film. It's possibly hampered by taking so long to hit the cinemas that The Raid had time to copy the basic storyline and beat it out, this combined with a forced 3D only cinema release did it no favours which is a shame because it's very well made with good performances all round.
January 4, 2017
The movie Judge Dredd deserved.
½ December 12, 2016
Definitely had the feel of the comic IMHO. Visually stunning, well written & directed, great performances. Absolute improvement from the previous attempt.
December 9, 2016
In these times of superhero saturation and PG-13 franchises a handful of R rated films appear and while they don't get the same box office numbers they earn a following. And what better example of this than the beloved and highly praised "Dredd".

Mega City is a futuristic city that's filled with crime and drugs, particularly a new drug called Slow Mo, a Jet looking narcotic that dues exactly what it's name implies. In this God forgotten land the only thing that prevents it from falling apart are the Judges, the ultimate judge jury and executioner. We follow Judge Dredd, an incorruptible Judge, and a Judge candidate on a drug raid but what seemed to be a normal day of 'protect and serve' turns into something bigger.

Since its home release "Dredd" has become quite a big cult film, to the point of fans demanding a sequel, so finally I watched it and while I highly enjoyed it, it also disappointed me. "Dredd" has solid acting for an action film (props to Karl Urban for committing to this character thus not showing his face, which is quite rare for a lead actor), an eye catching visual style, competent world building for its budget, good use of violence (even though at times is not needed), action sequences that are well shot (no shaky cam nor quick edits here), a score that's hit or miss but when it does hit it is fantastic, a story that's wisely small in scale (it is not about stopping the world's end or the destruction of a city), and it is overall highly enjoyable. But despite all of its great elements, I have to say I find this film underwhelming. Peter Travis' direction is an attempt to replicate Paul Verhoeven (this film is quite similar to "Robocop", a character that was inspired by Dredd but now the pendulum has swung), the CGI is extremely bad (something that normally can be overlooked but the film keeps putting that cheap CGI up front thus making it hard to forgive), and the violence is tamed. Sure we see some graphic stuff but it is all digital, when this needed that excessive Verhoeven use of squibs (I don't know about you but I prefer makeup over CGI when it comes to violence and every time a digital squib appeared it took me out).

"Dredd" is a solid film that truly deserves its cult following. It desperately tries to imitate Verhoeven's style and while it fails at that, it does succeed in being a fantastic sci-fi action film. An extremely enjoyable and stylish action film that knows what it is/what's capable of and goes for it.
December 7, 2016
Gritty, dark, violent, and great. I'm genuinely disappointed I never got to see it in 3D.
½ November 23, 2016
fun cool action movie. lots of badassness. lots of cool scenes (2 viewings)