The Driver - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Driver Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
June 14, 2013
Walter Hill's The Driver is a pulse pounding neo noir action thriller that is bold, riveting, raw and in your face. With great characterization and flair of well executed action sequences, this picture is an entertaining affair that is one of the finest films in the genre. Ryan O'Neal is in one of his best roles here and Bruce Dern is great as the Detective hot on his trail. An intense game of cat and mouse follows and is a riveting piece of cinema that is sure to engage the hardened film buff. The plot is simple, but sometimes you can pull off something great with basic ideas, and that's the case with The Driver. Walter Hill uses the basics at his disposal and creates something truly exciting. From the first frame onwards, this is a taut, exciting film that is a must see for anyone looking for something truly original to watch. Films like this are rare, and 1970's action thrillers are just a bit more riveting due to the fact that they used less elaborate sequences as big explosions and quick cut scenes. The Driver is an accomplished action thriller with wonderful performances and great directing from Walter Hill, who has always crafted entertaining and worthwhile pictures that are sleek, stylish and lots of fun to watch. The Driver is a near flawless movie that is certain to delight 1970's cinema fans. This is a well crafted picture that relies on good old fashioned storytelling and well thought out action to give the viewer something truly riveting to watch. The Driver is one of the finest films of the genre, and it is a movie that really delivers an exciting hour and a half of one of a kind action thrills. This is a powerful work of cinema from director Walter Hill and one that you shouldn't pass up.
½ June 12, 2013
Drive borrowed a few plot points from this one.
May 31, 2013
Walter Hill's "The Driver" is a film that many have tried to duplicate buy simply can't.
April 25, 2013
Simple plot. But not too simple to make you turn it off in between chase scenes which are worth waiting for. The cops are clowns but the crooks are a little more convincing. Isabelle is stunning and dude can drive. Kept me entertained enough.
½ March 10, 2013
Near-perfect filmmaking. Probably the best driving scenes I've ever seen. I dunno how somebody can like that movie Drive after seeing this.
½ December 30, 2012
The plot is fairly simple: the Driver, nicknamed 'Cowboy' drives getaway cars for bank robbers. She has a professional alibi-woman who vouches for his innocence. A cop with a nasty streak with an obsession to catch him attempts to entrap him.
I found the film fast yet well-thought through. The characters are played very well and believably by O'Neal and Adjani, although I found the movie a bit cold. The characters don't seem very original and rarely display any emotions whatsoever.
The movie isn't very violent, but most violence could have been left out entirely and replaced the movie with a better plot. One woman character's murder in particular could have been replaced with a car chase in my opinion, 'cause it makes the movie more violent, which was entirely unnecessary. Also, there aren't that many car chases in this movie - not a huge letdown, but when a movie is about car chases one would assume it had more than one car chase.
I personally think that this could have been a great movie, with one or two more car chases and a bit more room for the actors to display what they can do with their characters.
December 10, 2012
walter hill's neo-noir drama.
½ October 21, 2012
Walter Hill's superbly austere, arresting & exciting existential noir car chase crime thriller gem--Slick, Deft, Laconic & Stylish!!
½ October 12, 2012
Early Hill stands up over time.
October 9, 2012
excellent thriller featuring superb car chases. A claear inspiritation to the similar Drive of last year
September 20, 2012
Hallucinant de dà (C)couvrir à quel point Winding Refn s'est inspirà (C), ou plutôt à calquà (C) son DRIVE, sur ce film... A voir ne serait-ce que pour faire la comparaison!
½ September 18, 2012
Avec WALTER HILL, c'est simple. Une camera, un budget confortable, un duel d'acteurs excellents (RYAN O'NEAL et BRUCE DERN ici) et vous avez un bon film noir, avec des poursuites en voiture tres efficaces et un scenario plutot malin qui mene en bateau jusqu'a la fin du metrage. Tres sympathique
September 12, 2012
Excellent action, decent lead performance from O' Neal in the lead role and the class of Dern shine sthrough as the cop hunting him down.
September 1, 2012
The ultimate car chase movie. With fantastic leads, an awesome stripped back, no excess and no frills movie that still manages to be stylishly cool. The car chases are epic, using an awesome array of cars. I like the score and the realism from the plot.
August 26, 2012
The pinnacle of melancholic criminality.
July 22, 2012
Walter Hill's The Driver stars Ryan O'Neal as The Driver and Bruce Dern as The Detective. Film is itself influenced by French film by director Jean-Pierre Melville 'Le Samourai' (which is an amazing film itself). Bruce Dern applies methods out of line of duty to capture this skilled sought-after Driver. Even going so far to setup bank robbery to arrest him. It is an outstanding film that is unique in its stylized atmosphere, and does actually offer breathtaking chase-scenes along with film-noir essence.

I believe I shall have to re-review latest film Drive starring Ryan Gosling, for I actually never knew that film contained so much of similar elements from this movie. The opening scene is frame to frame copy, having watched this film I felt totally awkward about Gosling's character, whom I had praised so much (as he was simply following the character of The Driver).
½ July 19, 2012
Brilliant film. Great cinematography, excellent pacing. Good performances, and great car chases. A classic! Only criticisms are that the music wasn't great & also it was kind of predictable, but enjoyably so. Had a film noir vibe to it as well.
½ June 4, 2012
Superb beginning to this little gem of a film: a relentless car chase through the neon-lit night streets of San Francisco between a string of police cars and an unassuming sedan driven by a man of few words known only as The Driver. After watching and admiring the style and quality of the recent Drive, I couldn't help but notice several inspirations (or rip-offs, if you will) taken from this seventies cult classic. It is pretty dated but still worth a spin!
March 28, 2012
Director Walter Hill stages some impressive chase sequences, and the overall vibe of the film embraces noirish/crime tropes in a fun way, but the plot itself is nothing to write home about, and the characters are very thinly-drawn; I'm sure the idea behind that was for the characters to come across as enigmatic and "cool," but Hill went a little too far, I think.
March 27, 2012
Still holds up very well today. Walter Hill's twisty,stylish melville-inspired noir is a superb exercise in cinematic style and a truly iconoclaustic 70's thriller ,including some truly outstanding car chases and setpieces.