Drop Dead Gorgeous - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Drop Dead Gorgeous Reviews

July 26, 2014
The fact that reviewers did not like this film says so much about film criticism and its overall misunderstanding of popular culture criticism.
July 23, 2014
One of my all time favorite comedies. Hilarious, dark, twisted, and nostalgic (if you've lived in or near a small town). I could watch this movie another hundred times and not get bored. Ignore old reviews of this movie; I honestly don't think people were ready for this kind of humor.
½ June 29, 2014
This was a good movie
April 27, 2014
Hilarious satire. Yes it is offensive, and in 1999 it wasn't quite as acceptable to make fun of stupid hicks as it is these days so reviews vary. If you find this offensive, you don't deserve to be on the internet.
½ March 22, 2014
This movie sucks. boring and not funny at all.
March 16, 2014
one of my top 3 favorite movies!!!
February 16, 2014
Very enjoyable mockumentary & modestly black comedy detailing the behind-the-scenes preparations, rivalries, and fatalities at a small-town Minnesota teen beauty pageant. The main competitors are Denise Richards, fitting in a role she probably played in real life as Becky Leeman the perfect daughter of the richest family and who says all the correct bland Miss America cliches, and Kirsten Dunst, perky as Amber Atkins who idolizes Diane Sawyer, fixes the hair & makeup of the bodies at the mortuary for experience, lives in a trailer with her boozy mom Ellen Barkin, and sees a pageant victory as a chance for a future beyond Mount Rose. Many amusing characterizations, from the girls in the pageant to the judges to the parents, without overusing too many hayseed stereotypes (and the ones they have are pretty bang-on.)

Not as shrewd as the post-Spinal Tap Christopher Guest mocku-improvs, but not as understated either which generates a number of good laughs, like Barkin getting a beer can fused to her hand following an explosion, her best friend Allison Janney constantly hitting on the film crew, and a mass vomiting outbreak among beauty queens who ate some tainted seafood. But what really sells this movie is Dunst who through her innocent ambitions and sweet demeanor make you want her to win SO BAD - she's just GOT to beat that phony Becky Leeman, god don't you just HATE HER!?!
February 7, 2014
Black comedy with fuck all laughs. Alley, Barkin, Richards, Dunst and in particular Allison Janney. Twitch of Amy Adams. The gags don't really work and its a shame because the characters are great. The only laughs come from the judge who has a fetish for teenage girls.
January 15, 2014
Hilarious comedy about a bunch of wannabe beauty pageant. It's dark, biting, synical & terribly fun to watch thanks to a bunch of incredible actresses going really mad & unleashing their inner wickedness...
Full on!
January 10, 2014
I think this movie's Tomatometer rating is a bit unfair. This is one of those darkly hilarious movies I still remember lines/scenes from, years later, while I've long-since forgotten many higher-rated films. It's a goofy, dark, mockumentary film that's well worth watching if you enjoy the genre.
January 1, 2014
The Sarah Rose Princess America Pageant is a beauty contest to die for! And that is exactly what the contestants in Mount Rose, Minnesota are doing. Ever since the vivacious but vicious former beauty queen, Gladys Leeman (Kirstie Alley), has been pushing her charm-challenged daughter, Rebecca (Denise Richards) to win at all costs, the competition has been dropping like flies. Between exploding tractors and deadly hunting accidents, it's a wonder the top challenger, poor Amber Atkins (Kirsten Dunst) has the courage to keep her tap shoes on. But after Amber's mother, (Ellen Barkin) is injured in a suspicious trailer-park-beauty-shop bombing, Amber is determined to fight to the finish - and the battle between the good and the bad - is about to get ugly!

also stars Allison Janney, Brittany Murphy, Sam McMurray, Tara Redepenning and Amy Adams.

directed by Michael Patrick Jann.
December 25, 2013
As I've said before, movie nights are somewhat a tradition at my place, but not in the way you would think. A rousing evening of drinking and petty gossip inevitably leads to a "have you seen ____?" conversation. If the answer is no, then by God we need to watch it now! Everyone bolts to the couch and we pop in the Blu-Ray (because between my roommates, regular visitors and myself, we own pretty much every disc that our poor Sony machine will read). Beer in hand and drinking game rules on our phones, the adventure begins.

Like many movies before it, I viewed "Drop Dead Gorgeous" in this glorious tradition. Now before I go any further, I admit that sitting in front of a 40 inch plasma and sporting a sarcastic buzz inevitably affects the critical filter through which I watch a movie for better or worse. Prime example: "Escape from New York." A couple years ago, my college roommates and I decided to pop in this John Carpenter cult classic and drink like Civil War soldiers who were about to be amputated. Had I been sober, I probably would have nodded my head and gave the movie an emphatic "meh." As I rounded the corner of my third Dos Equis, however, I realized it was one of the greatest action films I'd ever seen (minus the unadulterated thrills of "Singham," but I'll get to that in another review). The point is, the drink affects the experience as much as the venue, medium or company you keep.

"Drop Dead Gorgeous" is a pretty funny movie. It's sporadically hysterical and has some darkly funny moments, but falls flat on its face as often as it achieves hilarity. In my drunken, foggy state, however, it was one of the funniest things I'd ever seen. There's just something about seeing pre-fame Kirsten Dunst, Amy Adams and Brittany Murphy competing in a small town high school beauty pageant amidst a murder spree that really resonates with the drunken degenerate in me. Shot mockumentary style and featuring cringe-worthy performances a la "The Office," the film captures a special piece of dead-end nowhere Americana that defines itself through the most trivial of events. Think "Friday Night Lights," but instead of footballs, we have plastic tiaras. These girls and their parents become so invested in the trials and tribulations of the local high school beauty pageant that they go to any length to win, even murder. Unfortunately, the film never finds its footing, never knowing how black to make its comedy.

If you want my advice, try downing three shots of Wild Turkey and inviting over a couple friends before embarking on this late-90s tour de force. In the right company and state of mind, you can enjoy any movie. Except "Battlefield Earth." Stay as far away from that one as you can.
½ December 17, 2013
This was a really bizarre film. The mockumentary format didn't really work for me. In fact, I hated it. (First and only viewing - Summer 2006)
September 28, 2013
I saw this movie when it came out in 1999, I was in 9th grade. I loved the movie then, and I love it now. My best friend and I have watched DDG so many times I have lost track. We still quote lines from the movie on a regular basis in our daily lives. I watched it again the other night, and I laughed just as much as I did 14 years ago. The witty humor, the mockumentary style of film, and the acting performances by Kirsten Dunst, Denise Richards, Kirstie Alley, Allison Janney, Ellen Barkin, and Amy Adams make the film a classic. I always feel like Drop Dead Gorgeous doesn't get the credit and praise it deserves. But this will always be one of my favorite movies ever.
July 8, 2013
One of my favorite comedies, so freaking hilarious.
½ May 29, 2013
Kirstie Alley, Kirsten Dunst, Amy Adams, Ellen Barkin, Denise Richards, Brittany Murphy, Allison Janney, Nora Dunn, Mo Gaffney in a mockumentary about a campy local pageant set in Minnesota... how can you go wrong? I love this movie and I quote the lines all the time!
½ May 24, 2013
A few laugh out loud moments a terrific cast and an original concept, keep this otherwise silly film from falling flat.
May 2, 2013
Though I appreciate the satire, there are more misses than hits.
½ April 24, 2013
first 10 minutes seemed too dumb to continue watching...
April 21, 2013
Greatest movie ever. Hey to the folks.