Drown Reviews

• Jun 04, 2017

• Aug 06, 2016

As created in the editing room, the film is a candy-colored fever dream. That takes some getting used to, as the experience is often frustratingly stunted and heavy handed. Yet, somewhere around the halfway mark, the intention matches the material, lending it weight and pathos. This is a simple story - essentially the exploration of how toxic masculinity drowns one man - but the three actors keep it afloat; especially Levett, who is superb and destined for stardom.

• Jun 12, 2016

This never worked for me.Honestly this was so wrong.The direction was really dragging it down.It was quite a struggle to piece everything up and uncover the puzzle that was Len,with all the back and forth.It was quite a challenge to make everything follow the time line that led to the events of the final night.Not the best directional choice!Levett was amazing in his role,he delivered every emotion perfectly!Actually the acting in general was really good.Other than that,I have to say this just didn't work for me.It really didn't.

• May 25, 2016

The story was very confusing. Why continue to switch from the past to present? The movie was like a car driving in circles.

• Feb 06, 2016

Had high hopes, very disappointing film.

Had high hopes, very disappointing film.

• Dec 22, 2015

There is an underlying meanness throughout whole film that is a little unnerving. That said I couldn't stop watching though I thought maybe I should. So I give it a hesitant 3 stars/ I think it is trying make a point about how dangerous internalized homophobia can be but not sure that it did

• Dec 18, 2015

Visually appealing. At first, I was very resistant to the extreme nonlinear storytelling, but ultimately appreciated it. Much darker than I expected.

• Aug 28, 2015

Adapted (from the stage play by Stephen Davis) as well as produced, directed, edited and photographed by Dean Francis, Drown could certainly have benefited from some external influence to prevent it from capsizing under the weight of its overpowering current of flashbacks or entangled in the weeds of messy dialogue.

• May 25, 2015

One of my favorite films so far this year, full of energy and overwhelming intensity strangely absent from most male coming of age stories.

• Apr 26, 2015

Drown may be set in a world/community that I'm not very familiar with but it's almost impossible not to relate to the tight knit brotherhood based on sports and drinking that is showcased in this film. It captured so seamlessly the dynamic between young men bonded over a common passion or a sport. A dynamic in which your bros and your masculinity is all that counts, no place for weakness, tenderness or affection. Len is the typical and yet quite the unconventional bully, his obsession with Phil is unnerving, and the same could be said for his relationship to his best friend/lackey "Meat." But what makes Drown interesting is the feeling that regardless of Phil's sexual orientation, there is no doubt that Len would have bullied and harass Phil. Yes Phil's sexual orientation Len but the insight into Len's upbringing only cemented his reaction to Phil's addition to the team. Meat is not just the unsuspecting guy who can't stand up to his friend and finds himself at the wrong place and time. He shines a new light on Len, while giving a few layers to Meat. Phil (Jack Matthews) is also very interesting, he may not exactly be in the forefronts of this story but his willingness to put up with everything just so he could belong to the group is sad and impressive at the same time. The cast did a marvelous job Matt Levett's Len was captivating and intriguing, his inner turmoils is palpable and great to watch. Harry Cook's performance as Meat was quite and powerful, and Jack Matthews' Phil is relatable and very real. Much like Len is confronted with his inner demons, Drown confronts the audience to what we've all seen happened at some point in our lives, bullying. The film is honest, intense, brutal and raw, a clash of worlds that make for an amazing emotionally charged climax. @wornoutspines