Drowning Mona - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Drowning Mona Reviews

½ December 1, 2016
I loved this movie. I think it got bad ratings because people didn't understand it. It's like a blue-collar who-dunnit, and the characters are not supposed to jump out at you. It's a quiet rural town in update New York. The characters are quirky - kind of red-necks, but with obviously interesting intelligent lines that belie their characters. I had to watch it twice to get all the twists and turns.
November 27, 2016
This movie is hilarious! It was cast perfectly. A great flick for a girl's night or if you need a quick cheer up.
½ September 27, 2016
Just kinda lays there
August 3, 2016
The first time i watched this movie I had just had my tonsils removed. I literally had to stop watching it because i was laughing so hard. The movie is flat out hilarious, Makes me laugh every time.
November 8, 2015
I cannot agree with critics consensus: its an inteligent humor and the characteres are very interesting, there is a latent energy...not for all
½ June 2, 2015
A pretty decent who-dun-it comedy, with the emphasis on comedy. Lots of good little one-liners, and throw-away jokes. Deplorable characters from the exceptional ensemble cast, and funny pop culture references (Yugo cars, the Wheel of Fortune home game). This was one of the few VHS tapes worth watching at my Dad's house when I was growing up, and I'm glad I bought the DVD.
Watched at home on DVD, June 2, 2015.
November 12, 2014
August 14, 2014
Underrated dark comedy.
August 14, 2014
82%

A dark comedy (but not too dark), that's drenched in sarcasm.
July 26, 2014
(First and only viewing - 4/24/2010)
July 7, 2014
I this movie is funny. gets better Everytime I watch it.
½ June 28, 2014
A surprisingly funny and entertaining film. Drowning Mona is a dark comedy dealing with murder and horrible people but does it so lightheartedly that the topic is enjoyable even at its darkest moment. A movie that isn't all that well known that is definitely worth the time spent watching.
March 5, 2014
I think that many people look too hard at this movie trying to make it something it is not. Not deep, no meaning of life here, just very skilled actors and a great script and soundtrack. And what a collection of one liners. When pointed out by Bobby that the girl Jeff is hitting on is 12 years old Jeff replies "Finally" So funny but try that line now and the feds are on their way
½ March 1, 2014
Drowning Mona doesn't leave an impression on you and will be forgotten quickly. Just not funny.
January 30, 2014
It saddens me that this movie received such terrible reviews. It is darkly hysterical and perhaps ahead of its time. The performances are top-notch, each trashy character thought out with care, and the script never fails to keep you guessing. It's a clever whodunit masked in over-the-top comedy.
½ January 17, 2014
Funny in a dark way up until the end, which was a real let-down. Worth watching for Will Farrell's quipping undertaker.
January 14, 2014
A little indy flick with a great cast but a lazy story & lots of flaws. It could have been much better & way more crazy but probably the inexperience of Gomez as a director makes this falls flat. too bad cuz with such a cool cast i expected something biting & nervous....
October 29, 2013
It's just great. I love YUGO. I love this totally off comedy, different, no cliche, etc. It0s a joke really. It looks like it is a student project. But I love it totaly.
½ August 29, 2013
Dude. (and Dudeladies). This is a good film. I've seen it 8 times and it gets better with each watch. My wife and I quote this film all the time. And... I know for a FACT that Casey Affleck's mom LOVES this movie. So, There. Booom.
July 31, 2013
Don't know why it's rated so low, I liked it!